Re: Move Data Protector from one server to another server (1565 Views)
Advisor
Christis
Message 1 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Move Data Protector from one server to another server

Hello,

I am going to remove the Data Protector cell manager from the current server that is working to a new one. The IP address and the name of server will be different. Is there any procedure for the removal....

Awaiting your news.

THanks

Christos
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Stewart Macleod
Message 2 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Re: Move Data Protector from one server to another server

HP-UX or Windows or something else ?

One of the many tasks you will have is to migrate the Licences from the old IP address to the new IP address. You should contact the license centre for help with this.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
RoMa64
Message 3 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Hi Christos,

first of all you need to make sure that you have the same patch level on the old and the new server,then make sure you have all your "old"directories on the same paths on the new server(makes it easier to migrate)
Once that is arranged stop the services on the new server and make a copy of the config and db40 directory on the old server.
Stop DP on the old server and copy the earlier mentioned directories to the new server.
Start the services on the new server and check the cell manager's name with the command"omnidbutil -show_cell_name",this most likely will give you the old name and you must change it with the command "omnidbutil -change_cell_name".
After that you must edit the cell_info,install/cell_server and userlist file and start DP.
You're not done yet :)
Because your CM is on a new IP you must move your licenses and my best guess is to make sure you get new liceses through HP on webware.hp.com.

Last but not least modify all the DP devices which where attached to the old cell manager, and select the new cell manager
and import all the DP clients to the new cell.

hope it's a bit clear and if it was helpfull don't forget to assign points!

Regards,
Robert

If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
OldSchool
Message 4 of 9 (2,748 Views)

BTW: this all assumes that the hardware platform remains the same, ie. moving from Windows to Windows. Moving UX to Windows, or the reverse, is not supported to the best of my knowledge.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Christis
Message 5 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Dear Robert,

I went through the whole process, but I need to clarify few things:

the file that needs to be edit as you adivse..

1. the files that I need to edit from the path:
C:\Program Files\OmniBack\Config\Server\cell\
cell_info
its showing all the servers including the cell manage?? What I need to change from this file??

2. install...file is from the path
C:\Program Files\OmniBack\Config\Server\cell
and the name of the file is
install_servers..what it needs to be changed from this file?? Is this the correct file??

3. cell_server file
in which path can I find it and what it needs to be changed??

4. uselist file is situated in the path
C:\Program Files\OmniBack\Config\Server\users
userlist file I need to change at the end of the file... i need to change the name of the old server to the new one..

Awaiting your comments.

THanks

Christos
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
RoMa64
Message 6 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Hi Christos,

1.)
You probably need to change the mac address(if it's a windows box).Check the rest of what you see there!

2.)
It's the installation_servers file indeed and you need to make sure that all you put there is right(mac address,etc)

3.)
Cellserver is installationserver,so that's done at point 2

4.)
In the userlist you should check-double check entries regarding the cell manager.

If you have some more questions,please let me knwo.And please assign points if some solutions are helpfull.

Regards,
Robert
If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Christis
Message 7 of 9 (2,748 Views)

Dear Robert,

On the installation server I have the following:

-host "ibissrv.matrix.rcb" -os "microsoft i386 wNT-5.0-S" -mac 00096ba50a25 -integ A.06.00 -da A.06.00 -ma A.06.00 -ndmp A.06.00 -cc A.06.00 -momgui A.06.00 -ssea A.06.00 -snapa A.06.00 -smisa A.06.00 -msese A.06.00 -mssql70 A.06.00 -mssps A.06.00 -sap A.06.00 -sapdb A.06.00 -oracle8 A.06.00 -sybase A.06.00 -informix A.06.00 -lotus A.06.00 -db2 A.06.00 -ov A.06.00 -vss A.06.00 -emc A.06.00 -autodr A.06.00 -jpn_ls A.06.00 -fra_ls A.06.00

And I will move from the ibissrv to the headsrv....what it needs to changes from this file??

It's not very clear....

Awaiting your answer.

Thanks

Christos
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
RoMa64
Message 8 of 9 (2,748 Views)

In the example above you need to change the name to the new name(omnidbutil -change_cell_name) and check the complete files to make sure it's working on the new server(patches,mac address etc)

Regards,
Robert
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Emre_OZENSOY
Message 9 of 9 (1,565 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is a roadway to migrate data protectro from Win2008 R2 to new Win2008 R2
1. Install new DP on new W2008R2 server

2. Import the license to new DP server that was taken from the old DP server to new DP server by copying the file

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\cell\lic.dat 

3. Import the clients to new DP server that was taken from the old DP server to new DP server by copying the file 

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\cell\cell_info

(C:\ProgramData\ folder is invisible You have to change the folder setting to see the directory )

4. Create a copy of IDB on old DP server by creating a directory and writing the old DP IDB

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\bin\omnidbutil -writedb C:\IDB\ 

5. Copy the C:\IDB\ from old DP server to new DP server and import IDB

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\bin\ omnidbutil -readdb C:\IDB\ 

6. If you want you can change the configuration of dbcf files

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\Options\global

7. To add clients you have to add a user that has privilage to add client .Add dataproservice user(Active Directory User) to new DP

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\bin\omniinetpasswd.exe -add <domain_name>\dataproservice

8. Give the same password in Active Directory

>C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\bin\omniinetpasswd.exe -inst_srv_user <domain_name>\dataproservice

Thas all folks :)

Have a nice migration!!!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation