Migration issue with Backup Specifications (425 Views)
Frequent Advisor
cmoses0971
Message 1 of 6 (425 Views)

Migration issue with Backup Specifications

I have built a new backup server and migrated the backup specs from our old cell to it, following the migration instructions from HP. There were a few that came in with no information, and when recreating them, they backup fine, and they save fine. However, when I click on them, nothing shows in the selected backup specs window, and when I Click "All" the boxes for the configuration are greyed out. and it won't allow me to save aany changes made to it. What could be causing this??

We did NOT bring over our old DP Database as we wanted to start fresh, but why will it do this when creating a new backup specification? I am also seeing that the daily schedule shows, and is correct, but backup jobs will not kick off. Please help me with this issue, if there is anything I have missed. I am assuming this is a migration issue... But I just don't know where to isolate the problem here. Thanks!

Chris

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 6 (413 Views)

Re: Migration issue with Backup Specifications

If none of the backups start using scheduler, you might have an issue with the Data Protector user permissions. Maybe the service account used for CRS is not present in the userlist. Have you copied over the userlist from old CS?

Not sure about the Oracle backups. Could you please provide detailed instructions you followed to transfer the backup specs for the Online Integrations? Is only Oracle an issue for you at the moment?

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Frequent Advisor
cmoses0971
Message 3 of 6 (408 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have attached the document. This is how I did the migration. The document is a 6 to 6.2, so if there are any differences in the procedure from 6.2 to 7.0, please let me know? The HP rep I was working with advised this was the correct way. Thanks!

Chris

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 6 (386 Views)

There is no change regarding the procedures between version 6 and 7 of Data Protector. I think, It is just not enough to copy over the barlist for integration backups. This is working for filesystem backups, but in some cases the integration create some additional hooks. You should try to reconfigure the integration on the client (for initial configuration) and then copy the barlist specifications back and see if anything changed. Is only Oracle struggling, or other integrations as well? Have you changed the CS name, IP address during the migration?

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Frequent Advisor
cmoses0971
Message 5 of 6 (380 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, only Oracle is struggling with the backups that were copied over. The SAP/R3 backup integrations are working fine, as is the FS backups, schedules are also working.

What is strange is the inability to drill into the Oracle integrated backups to edit, On top of that, even though they aren't editable, they kick off and backup fine with regards to functionality. Their schedules even work, so this is just a strange thing. I also did notice that the reports that were created in the old Cell do not run and send emails. You can preview them fine, but I get an IPC error:

Error creating the report "Client Statistics":
IPC Cannot Connect
Error creating the report "Media Used - 24 Hrs":
IPC Cannot Connect
Error creating the report "Sessions Report":
IPC Cannot Connect
Error creating the report "System Dynamics":
IPC Cannot Connect

I don't really have a problem recreating reports or backup specs, I just figured this would be a smoother process.

Frequent Advisor
cmoses0971
Message 6 of 6 (379 Views)

And to answer your other question, we did change the name of the Cell Manager, and we also have a new IP address. All licenses have been migrated over and we are fully licensed. Thanks for any input.

Chris

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.