Migrate DB and configuration, DP6 to DP7 (358 Views)
Occasional Contributor
xxarxx
Message 1 of 6 (358 Views)
Accepted Solution

Migrate DB and configuration, DP6 to DP7

Good morning,

My name is Raul, I´m new to the forum and I have a doubt with importing a database.

I have currently running a DP 6.0 and I have to install a new DP 7.0 on a new HP-UX cluster, the problem is i don´t know if I can migrate the database and settings of dp6 to dp7. Is that possible?

How could I?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 6 (341 Views)

Re: Migrate DB and configuration, DP6 to DP7

Per the Installation and Licensing GUide for DP 7

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1363249?searchIdentifier=7708fbc5%3a144ead32b25%...

Chapter 4

There is no direct upgrade path from DP 6.0.  On your original cell manager, you would have to stop DP, and make a copy of

/etc/opt/omni/server         Configuration Files

You would have to install DP 7 on your new server, then, you should be able to just put this directory back into place

The IDB is more problematical.  I would recommend that you do a 'writedb/readdb' prior to the Upgrade to compress the IDB, then back it up to Tape.  Upgrade to DP 7, install the patch bundles, Import the tape, and restore the IDB

However, your version of DP is so old, I can't guarantee that this method will work.  Perhaps doing a 'readdb' after moving over to the new DP would also work.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 3 of 6 (321 Views)

Hi,

install DP 7 on the HP-UX cluster following the instructions in the installation guide. Make sure the MC/ServiceGuard package is configured properly before you start to install. On the old server make a writedb and copy the export to the new server; import it using readdb. Stop the cluster package, and manually mount the shared directory you installed DP on. Copy from the old server /etc/opt/omni/config/server to the new server, Copy DCBF, MSG and META directories (/var/opt/omni/...) to the new server. Start the cluster package and you are done.

Keep in mind: If cell server name is changed for the new box export all your clients on the old server to allow the import on the new server. As Bob said, there is no guarantee that this method will work. If you encounter any problems, you may refer to my blog - http://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2011/07/data-protector-migration-unix-to-other-os/ which will also work for Unix to Unix migration.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
xxarxx
Message 4 of 6 (295 Views)

Thank you very much for the info, I see complicated because the server name and IP are different. Everything is studying.

Another thing that I see, is a procedure for installing DP Cell Manager and install 7 manager on an HP-UX cluster, which is my case.

Is there a specific procedure for this?.
Just read that I have to deifinir primary and secondary cell, but does not say how.

thanks

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 5 of 6 (289 Views)

I think that Daniel told you about the Installation and Licensing Guide

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1363249?searchIdentifier=7708fbc5%3a144fc32ee76%...=

pp 119-120

You install DP on each physical node of the ServiceGUard cluster, then, import teh Virtual name of the cluster

This is much easier than it used to be

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
xxarxx
Message 6 of 6 (277 Views)

Thank you all,

Your answers were all very instructive.

Regards

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation