Re: List of Unknown tapes in command line (1153 Views)
Occasional Visitor
lince11
Message 1 of 5 (1,192 Views)
Accepted Solution

List of Unknown tapes in command line

Hi there,

Does anybody know a command to list the tapes that have unknown format ?

In the graphic environment if I go to Devices & media -> devices -> libName -> slots

I can see tapes that have format unknown. Those tapes appear with a question mark and they have to be scanned so they are detected with format Data protector and they can be used.

What I want to do is scan those tapes using command line but to do so first I need the list of unknown tapes.

I tried omnirpt -report -media_list but it doesn't show the format field.

Any ideas ?

HP Expert
juanjomartin
Message 2 of 5 (1,153 Views)

Re: List of Unknown tapes in command line

The command line to list library slots is:

# omnimm -repository "My Library"

Slot [side]                           Medium                                    Medium Label (ID)
=========================================================================
1                                        Data Protector                           [ML8771L4] Free LTO_5
2                                        Data Protector foreign               [ML8762L4]
3                                        Data Protector                           [ML8761L4] ML8761L4
4                                        Data Protector                           [ML8767L4] Free LTO_6
5                                        Data Protector                           [ML8768L4] Free LTO_7
6                                        Data Protector                           [ML8769L4] Default LTO-Ultrium_23
7                                        Data Protector                           [ML8772L4] Default LTO-Ultrium_27
8                                        Data Protector                           [ML8773L4] ML8773L4                     
9                                        Empty
10                                      Data Protector                           [ML8775L4] Default LTO-Ultrium_28

You can filter the Unknown tapes from the above output by using Grep command on Unix or Find command on Windows

Regards

Juanjo

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 3 of 5 (1,138 Views)

If your tape library has Barcode reader support, you can run

omnimm -repository_barcode_scan "Library Name"

which will return something lile

Slot [side]                                        Medium type             Medium Label (ID)
================================================================================
=======================
1                                                              Data Protector          [XLN601L2] XLN601L2
2                                                              Blank                               [XLN602L2]
3                                                              Blank                               [XLN603L2]
4                                                              Blank                               [XLN604L2]
5                                                              Blank                               [XLN605L2]
6                                                              Blank                               [XLN606L2]
7                                                             Cleaning tape              [CLNU00L1]
Final report: 7 cartridges out of 7 successfully scanned.

Redirect the output to a file, and, on UNIX, 'grep' for Blank' or 'Unknown', in Notepad, you need to physically identify the media

In a situation like this, native DP probably does not have the Granularity that you are looking for

Trusted Contributor
jruffer
Message 4 of 5 (1,130 Views)

You must have an underlying problem that is causing this to happen in the first place because it's not normal for Data Protector tape to come us as blank when they are not.

How often is this happening?

Jeremy

Occasional Visitor
lince11
Message 5 of 5 (1,110 Views)

Thank you Juanjo, the omnimm -repository works like a charm :D

Thanks Bob Clark, I was also looking for the barcode scan in command line some time ago, great info :)

Jruffer, it happens quite often but the tape movement in and out is quite high, anyway that is not my job, hardware tech are already looking into it to fix it.

In the meantime I'm trying to make things a bit easier with some scripting and the DP commands :)

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Cheers.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.