Re: Linux file consistent backups on VMware surely possible?? (411 Views)
Occasional Visitor
mbedford
Message 1 of 3 (454 Views)

Linux file consistent backups on VMware surely possible??

[ Edited ]

Linux file consistent backups on VMware, surely this is possible??

Have a read of this, Symantec Netbackup when it backs up Linux VM’s running on VMware, it calls a ‘SYMCquiesce’ utility which acts just like VSS on Windows and so enables file consistent LAN-free backup via VADP.

“On Linux virtual machines, NetBackup requires a special utility (SYMCquiesce) to quiesce the file system in preparation for taking the snapshot. Without SYMCquiesce, NetBackup cannot guarantee that data in the file system is in a consistent state when the snapshot occurs.”

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO70958

This is back from February 2012, HP Data Protector must have a similar technology surely?

What is it called? how is it enabled?

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 3 (418 Views)

Re: Linux file consistent backups on VMware surely possible??

I invite you to review the Virtual Environment Integration Guide

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1363258?searchIdentifier=-7ba5f919%3a14336a1f354...=

I went through it, and did not find anything that directly pertains to your question, the only mention of quiesce of files was related to a Windows Virtual Machine (pg 36).  I did read that when doing a VMware backup, you can take a snapshot, and I would suppose that ths applies to Linux files as well as Windows files

Occasional Visitor
mbedford
Message 3 of 3 (411 Views)

Re: Linux file consistent backups on VMware surely possible??

Thank you for your reply, but I have reviewed that document in detail and done much further research. From what I have found so far HP Data Protector (DP) cannot provide file consistent backups of Linux VM's running on VMware vSphere.

The only solution/work around is to place a HP DP local agent in each Linux VM and in our case we have to have a dedicated backup VLAN, so a 2nd vNIC attached to that backup VLAN for every Linux VM. This is a very old fashioned and not virtual infrastructure supportive backup solution. This is the only way to create file consistent backups for Linux VM’s on Vsphere with HP DP

If anyone has a better solution, please do say?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.