Importing LTO media for restoring Data Protector... (3471 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Dipika Modi-Lotwala
Message 1 of 7 (3,471 Views)
Accepted Solution

Importing LTO media for restoring Data Protector...

I am trying to restore some files using the LTO tapes, but since the version and media information has been purged out of the Internal Database, I am importing the media back into the database. Does anyone know how long it will take to import a LTO-2 media or Does anyone know of an easier way to get the restore completed?
Acclaimed Contributor
A. Clay Stephenson
Message 2 of 7 (3,471 Views)

Re: Importing LTO media for restoring Data Protector...

There is no way to know how long an import will take. It depends on the number of objects and the sizeof the objects and the performance of your cell manager. An import can take several hours. You do have the option of restoring directly from media but if you are already significantly far into the import, I would simply continue with the import.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 3 of 7 (3,471 Views)

Hi,
Importing a media (or "list from media") will take about the same time as writing to the media at full speed). If if the media was full, importing (LTO media) will take no less then 2 hours.
Occasional Advisor
Dipika Modi-Lotwala
Message 4 of 7 (3,471 Views)

It is a full LTO media and it has already been 2 hours, do you know of a max time it would take to restore the tape? I know that listing from media, you have to have the session open where you are doing the listing, so I chose to import the tape into the database instead.
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 5 of 7 (3,471 Views)

Hi,
Do you mean max time to import the tape or max time to restore the data ? It is not possible to predict the exact time but I don't belive the import will time will be more then 2-3h (if there is not an bottleneck with the internal database).

Restore times has much more dependencies, (e.g. networking, filesystem/disksystem performance, number of files etc.).
Advisor
Travis Harp_1
Message 6 of 7 (3,471 Views)

When I did this before it took almost 12 hours to repopulate the database from tape. I was using LTO2 San attached to a dedicated rp5470.

It doesn't help you now but it's highly recommended to set up a "little" backup of just the media database, if you have access to a 4mm tape (and the database will fit on a 4mm tape) then that is even better. Hand label the 4mm so that you don't need a database to know which is your latest.
If this happens again, you only have to scan that one tape into the database and then you can load all of you other tapes up quick.
If the 4mm isn't an option, you can define a tape in you library but you need to set aside a slot that is reserved for just that tape and that never is moved or you will not be able to identify the media database backup without the database itself.
Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 7 of 7 (3,471 Views)

Well, if the tape is no longer in the database, you will have to import it to run restores using it. That can take half a day easy for a full LTO tape and a slow cell manager system (database I/O and RAM, etc.).

If just the detail catalog is gone, then you would simply Import Catalog to browse files and directories again. But you could also simply kick off the restore manually specifying the items to be restored, if you know them specifically.

If the object is small, then the restore will go right to that space and read the entire object looking for the items you said to find. But if the object is large, or even the whole tape, then you might as well import catalog.

But if needing to import the tape again, you have no option except to sit and wait for that to finish. 12 hours has been what I have seen in the past for full LTO tapes.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.