I cannot install OmniBack Client on an HP-UX system (125 Views)
Respected Contributor
Jdamian
Message 1 of 5 (125 Views)
Accepted Solution

I cannot install OmniBack Client on an HP-UX system

I cannot install the OmniBack-II client in a HP-UX system.

The error message is "host not responding".

But OB2 server can ping clients and viceversa. Remote shell port are open from OB2 server to clients and 5555/tcp port is open too.

Why does it not work ?

Did I forget aything ?

Thanx in advance
Acclaimed Contributor
A. Clay Stephenson
Message 2 of 5 (125 Views)

Re: I cannot install OmniBack Client on an HP-UX system

Even though ping may work, inetd may not be running. Try telnet from the cell server to the client using the hostname rather than IP address. Then telnet from the client to the cell server.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 3 of 5 (125 Views)

Your choice of wording 'is open' leads me to think that you have a firewall.

If so...

First of all let me refer you to the administrators guide where there are some notes about firewalls. In the long run you will need to open MANY ports.

Even doing that won't help with installation, however... Unfortunately I have not found a good document that discusses which ports we need at installation time. We certainly need to be able to run something like RCP, REXEC, RSH.

We copy our data into place, and do some checking, execute something like swinstall...

Many people with firewalls find it is just simpler to manually install the binaries from CD onto either the target host directly, or to an installation server on the far side of the firewall.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Respected Contributor
Magdi KAMAL
Message 4 of 5 (125 Views)

Hi Damian,

Attention OB II is very sensitive according to the domain name resolution. You MUST have in your /etc/hosts file the client name and address as follow ( for exemple ):

138.191.150.112 wilma.hp.com wilma WILMA

And be really sure that no problem of coherance between /etc/hosts and DNS Database otherwise alot of troubles could rise.

Advisor
Gilles Cadrin_1
Message 5 of 5 (125 Views)

Are you running NIS by any chance ?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.