Re: Hyper-V clients backup failing for DP7 (303 Views)
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 1 of 5 (350 Views)

Hyper-V clients backup failing for DP7

[ Edited ]

Hello Expert,

I am using DP7.01 with all latest patches on windows 2008 R2 as cell manager.

I am trying to take backup of a virtual server clients with windows 2008. I am facing 2 issues here.

1st issue is my backup is failing if "Volume Shadow Copy Services" (VSS) is disabled, it gives error as mount point not availaible but all the mount points are availaible.

2nd issue if I enable the VSS services and start it, my backup goes on fine but for most of the file system it gives error as below:

[Warning] From: VBDA@nbbuserdata.nbbdom1 "E: [NBBuserdatadisk1]"  Time: 10/20/2013 1:17:17 PM

[81:77]     GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10\CPRM\CPRM\Review Officers CAs\Clients\Maskati Brothers\2006 Jan\prepared by Nawaf\Maskati Bros-Company_QRR1.xls

Cannot open: ([5] Access is denied. ) => not backed up.

[Warning] From: VBDA@nbbuserdata.nbbdom1 "E: [NBBuserdatadisk1]"  Time: 10/20/2013 1:17:17 PM

[81:77]     GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10\CPRM\CPRM\Review Officers CAs\Clients\Maskati Brothers\2006 Jan\prepared by Nawaf\Maskati Bros-Company_qrr2.xls

Cannot open: ([21] The device is not ready. ) => not backed up.

[81:77]     GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10\CPRM\CPRM\Review Officers CAs\Clients\Maskati Brothers\2006 Jan\prepared by Nawaf\Maskati Bros_3.xls

Cannot open: ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. ) => not backed up.

I tried to give permisiion of this folder for everyone full permission but still getting the same error.

Anyhelp how to fix this issue.Attaching session logs for the reference.

Regards,

Syed

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 5 (319 Views)

Re: Hyper-V clients backup failing for DP7

Cannot open: ([21] The device is not ready. ) => not backed up.

I found several occurrances of this error in lab cases.  Unfortunately, most were for DP 6.11, and fixed with a patch, or, for DP 7.0, they involved Exchange backups. You are doing a file system backup

--------------

Cannot open: ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. ) => not backed up

Once again. all I have found for this error is from DP 6.11 and 6.21

What ype of Backup are you doing, Full, INcremental or Enhanced Incremental?  One of the lab cases I looked at reported this as a problem when doing Enhanced Incremental

However, in that case the above error is always followed by this

[Warning] From: VBDA@abc.com "abc.com [/E]" Time: 16.11.2011 21:00:14
[81:55] (NULL)
Unknown object type => not backed up.

and I am not seeing this in your session report

I also found issues when doing backups with Change Log Provider (CLP) enabled, but, from your session report, that does not appear to be the case with your issue

---------------

This is probably not something that can be resolved in the forums, and will need a new case opened for each issue

Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 3 of 5 (312 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. You are doing very good for HP Data Protector community. Helping alot other members in time of need :-)

Ok now as far as concerned with my issues I am trying to apply 7.03 patches to check if it resolve issue or else I will open a case with HP.

Also would like to bring into your notice one more thing that for this  same backup if my (VSS) "volume shadow services" is disabled the backup fails staright away with errors no mount point availaible and if I start VSS services backup goes fine with above mentioned error.

But the problem here is "Volume shadow services" for this client is getting disabled automatically after 5-8mins. In the event log of server it only shows event 7036 ...information VSS services get disabled.

Regards,

Syed

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 5 (308 Views)

I can't imagine any circumstances where DP would disable VSS services, I've certainly never heard of thsi happening, and a check of lab cases turned up nothing

Which event log did this come from

"7036 ...information VSS services get disabled"

Are there any Events immediately prior to this one?

If it came from the System Event log, is there a corresponding entry in the Applicatiosn Event log?

I think that is going to be more of a VSS issue, and you should trouble-shoot it from that point of view.  I did a 'google' search, and found a few items like this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/following-event-7036-shadow-c...

but, since I don't know a lot about VSS, I didn't understand most of it

Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 5 of 5 (303 Views)

Hi Bob,

Once again thanks for your reply.

I am checking with the help of microsoft team regarding VSS services that why it is getting disabled automatically after some time.

But my concerned here is if VSS service is disabled why my backup for this hyper-V client is failing.  Is it necessary to have VSS services running for a hyper-v clients backup?

I have disabled shadow copy service options from backups also.

Regards,

Syed

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.