How to define a storage pool into Load balanced backup method (132 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Fosiul01
Message 1 of 5 (132 Views)

How to define a storage pool into Load balanced backup method

[ Edited ]

Hi

I am really new to HP Data Protector , and currently took over a backup project from ex employee.

We have a device example

MSL001

and it has 2 drive

MSL001_d1

MSL001_d2

and From Backup - > Backup Jon- > Description -> I can see its saying "Load Balanced"

But what I dont undersand, How are you defining a storage pool to a specifiq backup with this "Load Balanced" Method,

to be more specifiq - : I was checking couple of Backup  under BAckup Specification -> options -> Select the drive -> click Properties -> Media pool -> No medial pool seclected.

But I can see its going to one of medial pool we have ( currently we have 3 medial pool)

so instead of "no medial pool selected" Hows its going  into one of hte medial pool ??

how does media pool work for Load blanced method ??

Hope it make sense.

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Johnc_3
Message 2 of 5 (112 Views)

Re: How to define a storage pool into Load balanced backup method

Hi,

When a tape drive device is created a default media pool can be selected.  After this, when that device is used for a backup the media will be used from the default media pool for the drive.  The 'No media pool selected' option in the backup specification means that it's going to use the drive-defined pool but it gives you the opportunity to over-ride this if needed.

The 'Load balancing' is the amount of drives the backup specification will use.  By default, whenever a new job is created it will be load balanced and you can choose how many (maximum and minimum) drives will be used for the backup.

The media pools do not define how load balancing works.

Hope this helps,

John

------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Falti_Manullang
Message 3 of 5 (95 Views)

You can use free pool function.

First you need to add free pool, after that go to each volume pool, right click, choose properties. choose Allocation tab on media pool properties, after that check list the "Use Free Pool" option.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Fosiul01
Message 4 of 5 (88 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I can see one of the medial pool is defined "As default media pool" under Seeting of a devices,

So , If i dont want to overriede, it will stat to backup into any devices under that Default Medial pool

With this finding, I have another confusion.

Suppose if i hvae 10 tape in 10 slot , and the backup jobs are Load balanced.

So the backup for example Server -a , can go into  Tape 1 or tape2... tape 10

right ??

So now, if i want to restore a data from a old tape  ( example today is 19th, I want to restore date from 14th of December , how will i know which tape to restore ??

Thanks for your asnswer

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Johnc_3
Message 5 of 5 (79 Views)

Hi,

When you define what data you want to restore, DP will indicate which tapes are required.

John

------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation