Re: How to address huge number of filenames (307 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Caner Kasap
Message 1 of 4 (351 Views)

How to address huge number of filenames

Hi all,

I have an issue where I am running very close to the red zone of huge number of filenames in Internal Database > Usage > Catalog Database ( screenshot attached )

How do I address this?

What is the best method to allocate the filenames; purge or any other effective method?

Looking for best practice, as I expect there will be a warning or a possible issue soon.

Thanks

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 4 (307 Views)

Re: How to address huge number of filenames

You didn't mention what version of Data Protector you are runnng, so I am going to assume it si 7.x or below

The screenshot you sent has one shortcoming... it does not show what is the type of UNIT (individual records? kb of Records?) so, taking it as individual records, you have about 44M filenames stored

Looking at the Limitations section of the Product announcements guide for filenames:

48 GB or approximately 1050 million (UNIX systems) or 675 million (Windows systems)

I think what would have been more useful here is to get output from

omnidbutil -info

omnidbutil -extendinfo

so that the degree of IDB fragmentation could be observed as well as seeing if new Tablespaces need to be created

However, to answer your question directly, you should periodically run a purge of filenames:

omnidbutil -purge -filenames -force

maybe once every couple of months.  If you have not deone this recently, or evr, it may take quite some time.  You can get a VERY rough estimate by running

omnirpt -report db_purge_preview

You can also use this to time your purging by only purging fienames of cetain systems

omnidbutil -purge -filenames host_A host_B host_C -force

You can stop a purge at any time by running

omnidbutil -purge_stop

A checkpoint will be written to the IDB, and when you start the purge again, it will be picked up from this point

There is nothing that will indicate the progress of this command except returning to the command prompt

About once every 6 months, I recommend that you write out teh IDB, and read it back in todo a thorough purge of everything, not just the filenames.  I have attached procedures for UNIX and Windows

When doing any of these operations to the IDB, you should not have anything (Backups, REstores, Copies, Media) running.  At the command prompt on the cell maanger, you can run

omnitrig -stop

Occasional Advisor
Caner Kasap
Message 3 of 4 (287 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply.

I am using DP 6.20 on a Windows 2003 server.

Attached is a screenshot of both omnidbutil and omnirpt_preview commands.

Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 4 of 4 (226 Views)

Hi,

You don't actually have a lot of file names ;)

Don't pay attention to the "red zone" visualization or the 99% usage the DP GUI displays, as these just show the relation of currently allocated records to the total size of the so-far allocated table space. This is almost always 99% full, as the table space is only allocated more disk blocks when actually needed. You so far have no CDB extensions except for a single one to fnames.dat, and that one is only 50% filled so far. Compared to other IDBs I've seen that's tiny. For the time being, you can comfortably grow your CDB by adding extents. I typically extend a table space of the CDB when the previous one exceeds 50% fill, so in your case, it is the right time now to add another extent to fnames.dat as well as to fn1.ext. Apart from that, you are living well in the specs. BTW, since this is 6.20 on W2k3, I assume it's not just running since yesterday, so the dynamics are actually quite relaxed. Or did this start to grow significantly just shortly?

HTH,

Andre.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.