Re: Formatting LTO Cartridges to 1.4TB (728 Views)
Advisor
Rafanto
Message 1 of 7 (786 Views)

Formatting LTO Cartridges to 1.4TB

Hi,

I have one pool with 3 cartridges LT04 (800GB/1.6TB), assuming compression 1:2. In Data Protector 6.11 I have formatted in Medium Size option and Specify (MB) to 1433600MB (1.4TB aproximatly).

The cartridges have really this capacity to read and write data?

Please your help

Regards!!

RG
Honored Contributor
Eblyn Solis
Message 2 of 7 (786 Views)

Re: Formatting LTO Cartridges to 1.4TB

Hi Rafanto,

Read this

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1241104134316+28353475&...

Hansan give you most correct answer:
it is not important. dp writes until end of tape signal is produced by the media. dp will update the size of media after the tape is full, and the tape size depent of the kind of file that you backup.

You can format the tape to any size , that is not important.

Regards.
Occasional Advisor
Raghunandan Pancholi
Message 3 of 7 (752 Views)

Hi Team,

i m facing the problem while taking the DB2 online backup .i have 1.4TB utlrium 5 data cartiage and  i alredy took 9 backups  from the same host of size 200 GB but still its taking same tape from the pool  in every new backup .i am also unable to see any error  while taking the backup.

currently tape showing 4.3TB in uses section and grapth shwoing 100% full .

can any body help me why this type of behaviour happenning even though media have full permanent protection.

while taking the file system backup  we are not facing the issue . from the same host .

Eblyn Solis wrote:
Hi Rafanto,

Read this

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1241104134316+28353475&...

Hansan give you most correct answer:
it is not important. dp writes until end of tape signal is produced by the media. dp will update the size of media after the tape is full, and the tape size depent of the kind of file that you backup.

You can format the tape to any size , that is not important.

Regards.

Raghu

Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 4 of 7 (750 Views)

Hi,

There is no problem. (tm)

Ultrium 5 has a native capacity of 1.5TB. That means it will take anything from approx. 1500GB (write errors might reduce that by some percent before the cartridge is considered broken) up to WHATEVER. The compression is completely data driven and nobody can predict when the cartridge will reach EOM. Specifically with new (mostly unfilled) database table spaces, compression can reach very high ratios, so writing 5TB to such a medium is entirely plausible.

The graph is just colorful guesswork. The GUI starts to assume 100% full (or 0 available) as soon as the nominal capacity is reached. Nominal capacity is what you specified on formatting, until the tape was written to EOM, after that it is the capacity it reached in the last fill-to-EOM cycle. Which is completely arbitrary and more guesswork. The guesswork is there because nobody knows, so there is no better anwer.

The medium is full when, and only when, it shows Type FULL in the Info tab of the GUI. When Type is not FULL (typically it will be HASNOCOPY), the tape can be appended to further.

HTH,

Andre.

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 5 of 7 (745 Views)

While André is completely right on how tapes fill up in Data Protector, you might still feel a bit uncomfortable having multiple database backups on the same tape. Tapes can go bad and you should separate your backup sets, if your recovery point objectives force you to. This could be enforced by pool properties (non-appendable) or even simple scripts moving media from one pool to another. (omnimm)

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Occasional Advisor
Raghunandan Pancholi
Message 6 of 7 (736 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI Andre ,

Thanks  for Reply!!

This is a New Installtion and DP in instalation Phase... Yesterday i scheduled the 10 Backups and all are taking same media from pool . As per standared DP process once Media full or EOW it should request for New Media .

But in my case we dont know why its notrequesting for New media.. One possible answer is  header is removed of last backup and every time driver considered as New Media  .

While taking backup  we could not see any errors or warnings so we dont have idea what may be the possible cause for this issue .

Can any body help me why new media not requested by DP while takig back .?

Thanks

Raghu

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 7 of 7 (728 Views)

I guess that even with 10 additional backups of the database on the tape, the media is still not full. Please review/provide the output of the following commands.

omnimm -list_pool <POOL>

omnimm -media_info <BARCODE> -detail

As long as the media is not marked as FULL, it will append as long as the pool is in appendable mode.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.