Re: Does the Cell Server need to be connected to Fabric in SAN environment with Tape library (681 Views)
Advisor
Paul Rohde
Message 1 of 7 (694 Views)
Accepted Solution

Does the Cell Server need to be connected to Fabric in SAN environment with Tape library

I have a Fiber SAN where now the Cell server is connected to the Fabric.  I also have other servers connected to the Fabric that write directly to the tape library. 

Currently the cell server is being used for the Robotics path and also has tape devices attached to it.  If I were to move the robotics path to another server, remove the drives from the Cell server and do the Cell backups over the Ethernet network to another server attached to the SAN.  Can I remove the Cell from the SAN?  Detach the Firer connections and remove the fiber card from the Cell.

The cell is running 6.20 and is a WIndows 2008 R2 server.  The server that I would move the robotics to is a Windows 2003 server, not sure if that matters.

I am looking to do this so I can remove the Fiber card from my Cell server to attach another Tape Library directly to the Cell.  I currently have no open slots on the Cell to add the SCSI card for the new library.

My other option is to purchase a new server with more I/O slots and migrate the Cell server.  If I can do what I want above, I think that is easier and definitely cheaper that the new Cell server. 

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 7 (692 Views)

Re: Does the Cell Server need to be connected to Fabric in SAN environment with Tape library

The quick answer is, yes. As long as you have at least one server with MA installed, this host can be used to robotics control. Just make sure zoning and mapping allows this. You need to replace the old changer path in Data Protector device configuration. That's all. Doing so, allows you to test before removing the path physically.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Advisor
Paul Rohde
Message 3 of 7 (686 Views)

Re: Does the Cell Server need to be connected to Fabric in SAN environment with Tape library

If the new Server has the Medium Changer listed in it's Device manager than I can assume the zoning is already there for this, correct?

I verified for both the existing Cell and the new Medium Changer server that they both have the same items listed in Device Manager.  They both have the

Medium Changer (HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Series Medium Changer)

Is this configuration not recommended?  I only plan to do this for a few months.  We are moving away from the Fiber Channel SAN and old Tape Library to an ISCSI SAN with the new tape library attached directly to the Cell server.

I don't want to have to migrate to a new Cell server if I can avoid it as I just did that last year.

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 7 (681 Views)

If the zoning is correct and the MA installed on the client planned to took over robotics control, execute devbra -dev to see if Data Protector "sees" the changer. If everything is alright, add this client and device path to DP device configuration for the MSL6000. If you use multi-path devices in Data Protector (just a simple click that changes the way devices are stored in MMDB), add the new client and path and move it to top. Then the old path can remain in the configuration and will not be used unless the primary path fails. You can do the same for the drives.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Advisor
Paul Rohde
Message 5 of 7 (679 Views)

I verified the new media server can see both drives and the exchanger.

U:\>devbra -dev

Tape    HP:Ultrium 3-SCSI  Path: "Tape1:0:2:2C"  SN: "HU10609T20"
        Description: CLAIMED:HP LTO3 Drive
        Revision: G65W  Device type: lto [13]  Flags: 0x0011

Tape    HP:Ultrium 3-SCSI  Path: "Tape0:0:2:1C"  SN: "MXP0942H19"
        Description: CLAIMED:HP LTO3 Drive
        Revision: G65W  Device type: lto [13]  Flags: 0x0011

Exch    HP:MSL6000 Series  Path: "Changer0:0:2:0"  SN: "USX6150032"
        Description: CLAIMED:HP StorageWorks MSL 6000 Series
        Revision: 0520  Flags: 0x0016  Slots: 29  Drives: 2
        Drive(s) SN:
                "MXP0942H19"
                "HU10609T20"

I'm confused about the second part.  I see in the gui where I can right click on the Libarary and select properties.  From there I can change the client under the general tab and library robotics under the control tab, but nowhere do I see I can have more than one Robotics Path..

What am I missing?

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 6 of 7 (670 Views)

To have more than a single client for a device, you must select "Multi-Path device" to change the view. This is in the product since DP 5.5 so I'm pretty sure you have it as well. :)

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Advisor
Paul Rohde
Message 7 of 7 (667 Views)

I got it now, I did not realize I had  this option. Now I have 3 different clients setup as media changers for redundancy. 

Thanks.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.