Re: Deduplication and Server 2012 (762 Views)
Advisor
Spacefrog112
Message 1 of 8 (776 Views)

Deduplication and Server 2012

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on a issue that I am having.

We have just deployed a new Windows Server 2012 device that we will be using as a file server with deduplication.

The issue that I am having is that i have read online that there are additional features that need to be enabled on Data Protector 7 that will enable me to backup a deduplicated server.

Is this true and what features would I need to enable?

Any Help will be appreciated.

Karlo

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
JBasilio
Message 2 of 8 (762 Views)

Re: Deduplication and Server 2012

Hello

please follow below steps, and check attachement file.

Configuring a Backup to Disk Device

After you have connected the backup device to the system and a working device file (SCSI address) exists, you can configure it for use with Data Protector.

It is recommended that you let Data Protector configure backup devices automatically.

Steps

1. In the Context List, click Devices & Media.

2. In the Scoping Pane, right-click Devices and then click Add Device to open the wizard.

3. In the Device Name text box, enter the name of the device.

4. In the Description text box, enter a description (optional).

5. In the Device Type list, select the Backup to Disk device type.

6. In the Interface Type list, select the StoreOnce software deduplication or the StoreOnce Backup system.

7. Optionally, enter a valid URL of the device management console in the Management Console URL text box.

8. Click Next.

9. Select the deduplication system from the Deduplication System list.

10. For StoreOnce Backup system devices, enter the Client ID.

11. Enter the store name or click Browse stores and select a store from the list of available stores.

12. Optionally, select Max. Number of Connections per Store and enter the maximum number of connections for the store.

13. Optionally, enter the Backup Size Soft Quota and the Store Size Soft Quota.
  14. Specify the gateways for the device. To add a gateway, select the gateway system from the list of gateways and then click Add. The gateway name is proposed by Data Protector.

To set additional gateway options, click on the Settings tab and click Advanced to open the Advanced properties window:

1. To enable server-side deduplication, select Server-side deduplication.

2. To limit the network bandwidth used by the gateway, select Limit Gateway Network Bandwidth (Kbps) and enter the limit in kilobits per second (kbps).

To check if Data Protector can connect to the device, click Check.

15. Optionally, to specify a source-side gateway, select Source-side deduplication.and review or modify the gateway properties in the Source-side gateway properties window. Note that you must specify a source-side deduplication gateway if you want to use the device with a source-side deduplication enabled backup specification.
  16. Click Next.

17. A summary page is displayed. Review the settings and click Finish to create the device and exit this wizard.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 3 of 8 (755 Views)

Hi Jose,

Karlo means the built-in dedup in W2012. 

@Karlo, if your DA is at least on version 7.01, than you are fine. Disk Agent with newer DP versions can handle the backup of the meta data and the backup of the content for a Windows2012 server with enabled deuplication.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spacefrog112
Message 4 of 8 (750 Views)

Hi Daniel,

You are correct.

How would i go about getting it to 7.01? I have installed all the latest patches.

Is there a link available to upgrade my version from 7.00 to 7.01?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
wildcard
Message 5 of 8 (734 Views)

To get to DP 7.01 you visit the HP Data Protector Website and download a trial and select version 7.01. I know the term "Trial" sounds scary, but it's the full installation and will upgrade your existing 7.0 and maintain your database, jobs, licences, devices, etc.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 6 of 8 (707 Views)

Hi,

when using this way you just receive DP 7.00 - The patch bundle and patches are not slipstreamed into the source version. The patches and patch bundle are available in SSO portal, you will be able to download the updated bits when you have a valid support contract with HP.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Pablo_Medina
Message 7 of 8 (532 Views)

Hi,

Does anybody know what happens if you backup a deduplicated volume windows 2012 on Data Protector 6.2?

I've made some tests and backup runs fine, but when you look up the total size of the backup, you realize it doesn't match the total size of the volume on the server.

Is this backup consistent?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Greeting,

Pablo

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Leo3020
Message 8 of 8 (455 Views)

Hi,

I had the same query, can anyone answer it?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation