Dataprotector unable to distinguish the correct daily media pool (351 Views)
Occasional Collector
GuillerminGo
Message 1 of 4 (351 Views)

Dataprotector unable to distinguish the correct daily media pool

Hi:

I'm having a problem with all of our dalily backup jobs.

We have 5 different backup jobs for daily backups. Each backup job have it´s own pool. Monday jobs use the monday pool tapes, tuesday jobs use the tuesday pool tapes, etc...

Each day we eject the tapes and introduce the next day pool tapes. the problem happens when there is a holiday day and no one changes the tape. For instance, if tuesday is holiday, and we let the monday job tapes and tuesday job tapes on the library, both backup jobs work with the monday pool tapes, and I really can´t understand why. This happens for all of our daily jobs.

Could some one give me some troubleshooting advices to find out why the second day job operates with the first day tapes?  (I´ve already checked that each tape belongs to the correct daily pool)

Please feel fre to ask me for aditional information.

Thanks in advance.

Dataprotector version 7.00, internal build 100

PD: I´m sorry for my english mistakes.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Stewart_Macleod
Message 2 of 4 (318 Views)

Re: Dataprotector unable to distinguish the correct daily media pool

For each backup spec you need to specify the Pool as follows...

In the backup spec Destination tab, expand the library.

Highlight the first Drive, and click on "Properties"

A new window opens, and here specify the correct pool

e.g..  For Monday's backup spec select the Monday pool.

If doing Tuesday's backup select the Tuesday pool. etc.

Click on OK, then Apply.

Do this for every Drive (assuming more than one is available for the backup).

After that DP should work how you want.

Disadvantage

After this, if there are not enough tapes in the library for the correct Pool DP with issue a mount request.

Mount requests just sit there indefinitely, if no action is taken to end them, or to meet the mount request.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
GuillerminGo
Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

thank you for the reply Stewart.

As you are assuming, we have more than one drive (actually two drives, i´m  sorry I didnt told it on my first post) but each backup job is attached to one of the two drives, not to both of them (I cant really tell you why, I guess the person that configured it this way had  good reason)

What you advise me to do it´s already done for each backup job, but we still have the problem.

I´m afraid of the disadvantage you mention: If a mount request is generated for the first backup job and no one is there to take action we wont have backups for this day, and this a bigger problem than having a backup on an "incorrect" tape :)

Anyway, I am very grateful for your help Stewart. I´ve seen other posts that maybe are related with this problem and checked the preallocation list for each backup job. I dont know why but not all of the tapes asigned to each pool appears on the prealloction list. I´m thinking on adding all the tapes of each pool to the preallocation list of each job. Could this solve the issue, or improove the behaviour? Could this addition generate another mount request?

thank you so much.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 4 (291 Views)

There should be NO media in the pre-allocation list.  I haven't seen a need for this since back in Omniback 1.3

Looking at your description of the problem "...     Each day we eject the tapes and introduce the next day pool tapes. the problem happens when there is a holiday day and no one changes the tape..", it appears to me that Data Protector is appending to the tape that was used on Monday in your example.  Check your session reports from Monday, and a Holiday Tuesday to see if this is true

If so, I think that the only answer is to change to properties of the Media pool to make the media non-Appendable.  You didn't mention if your tape library has a Barcode scanner, but, in the backup specification, in the Properties for one drive enable the Rescan option.  if you have Barcode scanning enabled, it should take only a few seconds for the Barcode reader to check what media is available and update the IDB.  If you don't have Barcode support enabled, it takes 60-90 seconds per tape, so you probably don't want to do this if you have a library with logs of tape slots

If what you are doing is using the same tapes week after week, the non-Appendable solution probably won't work  for you

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation