Dataprotector 6.11 nfs network share backup cannot connect (2300 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Thomas Goldbeck
Message 1 of 3 (2,300 Views)

Dataprotector 6.11 nfs network share backup cannot connect

I have integrated an AIX Client an Dataprotector 6.11 environment. On the AIX there are some directories / filesystems exported via NFS. On the DP GUI I have configured the resp. backup in the backup menu / source/network share backup: map network share. I selected a backup client which connects via NFS via Browse Network Shares, then select NFS Network,Default LAN, the resp. server with the exported directories. For the most directories everything worked as expected. But there a som exports (f.e. /opt/test) which did not. Error-message (translated from German): you tried to access an invalid address.

But when I used the mount comand (Unix Services for Windows) on the same windows system (Cellserver)  mount /opt/test z: it worked.

Does anyone have an idea what' s going wrong ?

Thomas

man_1
Advisor
Joerg Richter
Message 2 of 3 (2,298 Views)

Re: Dataprotector 6.11 nfs network share backup cannot connect

Hi,

Network share backup feature is only supported for windows based network shares.

For backing up NFS share(s) you actually don't need to select anything under Source in the DP GUI Backup window (its possible to keep it empty), but select your backup device, change the options or scheduler if required and finally add the NFS shares under "Manual add" in the Backup Object Summary window

Here select the client system that got the NFS shares mounted and specify the mountpoint. Do the same for all the NFS shares.

I just wonder why you do not install a DA/MA directly on the AIX box and do not use indirect way via NFS

Regards,

Frequent Advisor
Thomas Goldbeck
Message 3 of 3 (2,293 Views)

Re: Dataprotector 6.11 nfs network share backup cannot connect

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I just thought something like this. I also have installed the DA/MA components on the AIX box, but it seems as if the backup over this way is very slow. With the direct attached LTO4 tape I still have the unresolved problem mentioned earlier in this forum, that the system detects the AIX-tape exactly but I cannot perform any operation on it (format, scan etc.)

>Therefore I tried to test backup over NFS and it seems as if it is faster then via BA.

But do you have any suggestion what I can do to examine why the AIX-locally attached tape does not work ? I have attached the debug.log and inet.log. Perhaps these contain usable informations.

Regards

man_1
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.