Re: DataProtector 8 - Vsphere 5.1 - MSL4048(FC) (2909 Views)
Visitor
MarcoSeguraZ
Message 1 of 9 (3,133 Views)

DataProtector 8 - Vsphere 5.1 - MSL4048(FC)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Some days ago, I install my first DataProtector 8, I am really new with this software, but in past I installed without issues with Windows Server Cell manager and physical host and LTO drives (SAS)

I normally research before post in a forum, but right now I need help

I have a VMware Vshere 5.1 working environment (Windows Vcerter), I have a Dataprotector 8 Windows 2008 Server with and HBA connected using an HP SAN Switches to an MSL-4048 (Dual LTO-5 FC)

My DataProtector Server is CellManager, DiskAgent, MediaAgent and VMWARE Integration.

My MSL-4048 is correctly detected by OS and DATAPROTECTOR, after I make the AUTOCONFIGURE PROCEDURE, the DP show the robot and the 2 LTO drives. I proceed to scan the library without issues (I have barcode at all all, I have 47 LTO-5 tapes and 1 LTO Clean Tape). I format all tapes and everything is OK here.

When I proceed to create a backup, I selected VirtualEnviroment I create a Vmware Backup, I can see in the screen al my VMs, I can select per DATACENTER backup, per VM backups, all normally here. I selected DATACENTER BACKUP

At the end, I always run an offline test to check if all in the backup is OK. We I run this, I see that DATAPROTECTOR connect to VCENTER without issues, start the snapshot procedure without issues (some timeouts but works) and finally show me all is OK.

When I run the session manually, the DATAPROTECTOR starts but, when it try to make a backup in the using the drives, it always say:

"... No tape in the device.."

Look like DATAPROTECTOR is not sending the LOAD to the robot to start. In the backup plan, I already select both LTO drives, I choose LOAD BALANCE, I select the MEDIAPOOL and forced what free tapes need to be used. All tapes are new, formatted and without any session or protection. I have all license  installed, still in trial I get same issue.

I need help to get DATAPROTECTOR to start working, load the tape in the drives, use both drives and make the backup plan.

Any advise will be accepted. I already follow all setup for VirtualEnviroment and EBS guides, I believe is simple my issue, but maybe because is my first time with FC libraries I cannot get this done.

Greetings,

Marco

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Data Protector Support and News Forum. - HP Forum Moderator

Marco A. Segura
Ing. de Infraestructura
T. +506 2256-8000
www.TecnovaSoluciones.com
San José, Costa Rica
Respected Contributor
drpixel
Message 2 of 9 (3,107 Views)

Re: DataProtector 8 - Vsphere 5.1 - MSL4048(FC)

Hello,

Before going further with the VEPA.

Can you perform a simple filesystem backup and let us know the result please ?

Regards,

Christophe
Visitor
MarcoSeguraZ
Message 3 of 9 (3,086 Views)

Hi,

Today I created a backup for CELL MANAGER host (its virtual, but it has a license asigned per default) and when I run the backup it worked withut issues, start the backup, and the robot load the tae in drive and worked fine.

After check that, again I check my setting and create a new "Virtual Enviroment Backup" task, I select the vcenter, the cellmanager like backup host, and I select the Vmware DATACENTER, later I select only one VM from the list and start the backup. Few seconds after started and this is the log showed:

[Normal]

From: BSM@specc-dpcm-m01 "test-vmcluster1"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:33 PM

OB2BAR application on "specc-dpcm-m01.icetel.ice" successfully started.

2013-07-09T16:14:33.959-06:00 [02760 info 'Default'] Initialized channel manager

2013-07-09T16:14:33.959-06:00 [02760 info 'Default'] Current working directory: C:\Windows\system32

2013-07-09T16:14:33.959-06:00 [02760 verbose 'ThreadPool'] TaskMax=10, IoMin=1, IoMax=21

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:35 PM

Resolving objects for backup on vCenter 'specc-vcen-m01.icetel.ice' ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:36 PM

Add Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM' to the backup ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:38 PM

Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM': Locking vMotion ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:40 PM

Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM': Consolidating snapshots ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:51 PM

Creating folder C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\tmp\9e19a1ad-6034-4b11-98c7-6e67b53ab70d ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:52 PM

Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM': Backing up configuration file HP-SIM.vmx ...

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:14:52 PM

Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM': Creating snapshot ...

[Critical]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:15:52 PM

Requested operation timed out ...

[Critical]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:15:52 PM

Backup of object failed.

[Normal]

From: VEPALIB_VMWARE@specc-dpcm-m01 "/SPE DC01"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:16:30 PM

Virtual Machine 'HP-SIM': Unlocking vMotion ...

[Normal]

From: BSM@specc-dpcm-m01 "test-vmcluster1"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:16:34 PM

OB2BAR application on "specc-dpcm-m01" disconnected.

[Normal]

From: BSM@specc-dpcm-m01 "test-vmcluster1"  Time: 7/9/2013 4:17:05 PM

Backup Statistics:

Session Queuing Time (hours)         0.00       

-------------------------------------------     

Completed Disk Agents ........          0         

Failed Disk Agents ...........          0         

Aborted Disk Agents ..........          0         

Disk Agents Total  ...........          0         

===========================================     

Completed Media Agents .......          0         

Failed Media Agents ..........          0         

Aborted Media Agents .........          0         

Media Agents Total  ..........          0         

===========================================     

Mbytes Total .................       0 MB       

Used Media Total .............          0         

Disk Agent Errors Total ......          0   

============================================================================

Session completed with errors!

============================================================================

As ou can see in the log, it start, detect the VM, send a task to create a SNAPSHOT, I see in the VCENTER console that SNAPSHOT is in progress, but in the middle of the task, the DATAPROTECTOR shows a CRITICAL ALERT, and stop the process at all.

I followed the procedure in the "HP DATA PROTECTOR 8.00 Integration Guide for Virtual Enviroments" (PDF) and look really easy.

In general I have not issues with speed, becasue my CELL is connected a 10GB ethernet to the VCENTER (40GB ethernet agregation) and my FC network is up and running fast becasue I run a lot of test, I have correctly created the FC Zones and the CELL MANAGER and vsphere infrastructure and in the same VLAN. The CELL MANAGER is with firewall off.

I don't know what happens, looks pretty easy and documentation inclusive give all steps.

Help.....

:(

Marco 

Marco A. Segura
Ing. de Infraestructura
T. +506 2256-8000
San José, Costa Rica
Respected Contributor
drpixel
Message 4 of 9 (3,083 Views)

Hello,

You had only HPSIM server in the backup specification.

For an unknown reason, the snapshot creation failed.

You'll have more information from the vpshere client and the VM task and events tab.

Can you please have a look ?

Regards,

Christophe
Visitor
MarcoSeguraZ
Message 5 of 9 (3,070 Views)

I create this backup task only for test, in general is the same with all datacenter,  some vms or only one.

When the backup start, the VMware Integration from the CELL MANAGER send a query to start the snaphot

I have the vSphere Console opened, and can confirm that the snapshot process start

Later, I can confirm the DATA PROTECTOR createhe TEMP folder that will be used like cache to transfer the snapshot and record it on the TAPE (I believe this is like a mediator, because the role is BACKUP HOST)

All look normal in Data Protector and VMware, after a few minutes, the DATA PROTECTOR console show the TIME OUT error. It send a trigger to VMWARE, while VMWARE still making the snapshot.

Later the VMware queue the task (remove snapshot) to be executed after finish the current task. In general no error exist in DATA PROTECTOR

The FC that connect the virtual enviroment has 32gb bandwidth, the network speed is 40GB ethernet, and no timeouts or packet lost are in the process.

Look like some is wrong with the VMware Integration... I followed the procedure explained in:

HP Data Protector 8.00 Integration Guide for Virtualization Environments (PDF), in page 41 that apply for me (vCenter Integration), and follow all the tips.

The guide its pretty easy and I saw videos and everything its the same. All my configurations in VMware and DATA PROTECTOR are from zero.

I believe that only think I have no tried before is rather than use vCenter, maybe I can use VMware ESXi Integration

I already opened a case in HP but they are a little bit slow

:(

Marco A. Segura
Ing. de Infraestructura
T. +506 2256-8000
San José, Costa Rica
Advisor
wildcard
Message 6 of 9 (2,996 Views)

To me this sounds like the snapshot is not completing as you said the remove snapshot task is queued, meaning the create snapshot task is still running.

I'd try a few things:

1. Login to vCenter as an Administrator and test can you take and remove a snapshot of the VM manually?

2. Are you selecting the VM Backup Job to capture the memory file as well? Try removing this from the backups

3. Try logging into vCenter as the service account Data Protector uses to connect to vCenter and test creating snapshots manually

4. Do a test (not for long term use) and gave the Data Protector vCenter Account the Administrator Role and test again manually creating snapshots

5. Run the backup job again with the account having Administrator Role in vCenter

6. Import one of your ESXi Hosts directly into the client list using the root password and run a backup direct from the host, rather than via vCenter. Does that work?

That's where I would start.

Chris

Advisor
Peter UDP
Message 7 of 9 (2,951 Views)

We're encountering the same problem.  Looks like it's a session global parameter, just not sure which one.  Monitoring the esxi host, it takes a few minutes to build the new snapshots but DP SM just times out after what looks like one of the 30 second defaults. 

Have you heard anything back from HP?

Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 8 of 9 (2,909 Views)

What exactly is the device in Data Protector you are backing up to?

Because it sounds like your cell manager is your VADP backup host for the integration, which means it's also virtual.

Thus it cannot talk to any Fibre based devices since ESXi has no support for any medium changer or tape drive SCSI class devices over FC.  Is this an iSCSI VTL?

If the VADP backup host is physical, you can use the SAN transport.  If the VADP backup host is virtual, it'll try and use HOTADD.  I don't care much for the idea of a virtual backup host.  You can try NBD but make sure access to port 902 on the ESXi server is not blocked.

You need to figure out if you're talking about a VE integration issue or a device issue.  The longer you keep mixing the two subjects, the longer it'll take before you can make any progress.

Thanks,

Scott

Visitor
MarcoSeguraZ
Message 9 of 9 (2,904 Views)

Hi allinally I got it working, for some of you that request more info here is my original config:

MSL-4048 (FC)

P2000 G3 (FC)

C7000 with 7 blades and 2 VirtualConnect Dual FC-Ethernet10

My DATA PROTECTOR CM is a Virtual Machine. In my ESXi config, the server that host DP is not part of HA cluster, it's standalone. I have a FC passtrue of one of the FC card of the ESXi to the virtual machine. Work great.

The issue that I got is a timeout when the DP start the backup task. In my config, my CM is my BackupHost and MediaAgent.

After make a ticket with HP, the send my cases to another level, after many debug, we find that main issue was:  "... no trust relation between DP server and VCenter Server (windows serer both)..."

I start my configuration without domain, and all worked fine, but in the road... we move both servers to the domain. Normally all looks ok, no issues if you use local administrator en both servers, both looks like when the servers are added to domain, the PROGRAM FILES folder and others folder change the security, and this affect my DP Bacp task, because we need to remember that Vcenter is my "PROXY" to the VMs hosted in the P2000 and its the only one with access to. When the computer is in domain and you use local accounts the task not works, becasue the relationship its not the same. I detect the issue becasue the HP guy send me command that I execute to check the VEPA logs on screen. After I started the task with full logs enable and debug mode enable, I see the issue related to access to the server becasue the permission was denegade.

I solve like this:

1. I unistalled the DP at all from server

2. I installed the DP with a Domain Account (local administrator privilegies in both, the DP CM and Vcenter Server)

3. I create my backup task with defaults

4. I check the logs and no issues was detected

Now I am working in the backup plans, becasue the impact of make multiple snapshots affect my SAN and I have 3 VM with 2TB HDD and I am trying to create right pools of backups, because if I make a Vmware DATACENTER backup, in tbe middle the performance is affected. Now I can certify that simple VM backup (75GB) take 8 minutes or less.

thanks guys for the help here. thanks to HP for great support

:)

Marco A. Segura
Ing. de Infraestructura
T. +506 2256-8000
San José, Costa Rica
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.