Data Protector 7.01 Virtual Device Interface reported error (747 Views)
Occasional Contributor
GeorgeN
Message 1 of 3 (747 Views)

Data Protector 7.01 Virtual Device Interface reported error

The object was not open

This is causing the backup to fail.  I checked and do not have a hung process that was mentioned in another thread.

This started when a new accounted was created to access the MSSQL server databases to perform the backup.  If the backup is done with the login of a system/domain administrator the backup runs without error.  What might need to be change in the configuration/permissions of the new account?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 3 (723 Views)

Re: Data Protector 7.01 Virtual Device Interface reported error

Part of the problem is that this is a very generic error, without a single root cause

I started checking lab cases, and found this one

changing the login id from mossadmin to domainservices in the DP  MS
sharepoint configuration  allowed a backup with no errors.

in other words, exactly what you discovered, but no suggestions on how to set permissions

I also checked the Knowledggebase, and found nothing of value

Sometimes, when faced with some kind of permissions problem, I will ask that the owner of the Data Protector INET service be changed, to the new account, along with the appropriate password.  Then see if the INET service will start, and if it does, see if you are still getting the same error

Please use plain text.
Advisor
aravindrajbalaj
Message 3 of 3 (557 Views)

Re: Data Protector 7.01 Virtual Device Interface reported error

Even we are facing the same issue, in our case the SQL server has multiple database and just one of them is failing with the below error message:

[Critical] From: OB2BAR_SQLBAR@XXXXXXX "(DEFAULT)" Time: 2/3/2014 12:17:12 AM
Virtual Device Interface reported error:
The object was not open.

Any suggestion on this will be helpful.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation