08-10-2011 01:33 AM
We are trying to do a restore process with DP 6.11. We backed up database with Volume Shadow Copy successfully. After backup, we sent a mail to one of our test users. we saw that it successfully received.
then we tried to restore Database by Microsoft Exchange Wrriter (Not Replica). But after restore, nothing changed. the mail we sent after backup was still there.
So we tried another shot. but first we deleted all the log files manually. After that, we restored database again. When we try to mount it from GUI, an error ocurred (inconsistent database etc.). So we used "Mount-database DB -Force" command and it mounted the database.
In fact, the database has been restored. But is it theright way? Why doesnt Data Protector restore to last backup state, so we have to do some manual deletions?
Waiting for your commands please, thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-12-2011 07:39 AM
08-16-2011 02:15 AM
please make comments, we want to use DP on exchange 2010 but we cannot trust the way we used. If DP on exchange is not enough to use, we won't use Data Protector.
Please comment. Thanks.
08-16-2011 11:25 PM
Can you confirm that you have followed the action plan for a point a time restore as described in the Exchange 2010 intergration whitepaper? (p. 8)
08-18-2011 11:43 PM - edited 08-18-2011 11:59 PM
Thank you for the answer Alex,
Before writing the topic i had followed the steps on the pdf you sent. After your answer, I did it again using full reseeding.
Here is what I did for restoring;
I deleted some mails received previosuly from the mailbox and after that, I dismounted DB and suspended copy then clicked overwriting db option. Then I followed the instructions on point-in-time restore. But the mails I deleted didn't restored.
I dismounted DB and suspended copy then clicked overwriting db option. Then I deleted all log files including folders like "IgnoredLogs", "IncseedDebug" etc. I restarted restore, after restore complete, I mounted DB and Updated the DB copy. Using this procedure Icould see the mails I deleted.
What I want to learn is; with the steps on the pdf you sent, we couldnt restore DB successfully. But with the procedure on our second try, we got the mails. So is the second procedure a trustable one?
Waiting for your comment, thanks.
08-24-2011 04:03 AM
Is there any comment on this? The documents ar not enough, so please tell if the way is right or not.
Or please tell me why the restore is not working on Exchange 2010 with DP.
09-08-2011 04:31 AM
I think what you are running into is that the item you deleted has only been marked for deletion and is therefore tombstoned. I believe the default lifetime of the tombstone is 14 days. This is why in the restore to point in time in the document describes to get a true point in time you need to restore both databases at the same time. Even though you restored a primary copy of your database the tombstone attribute remains on the item keeping it in the dumpster.
There is a bit more described in this blog post.
I think you second method would work fine. I would recommend the single mailbox backup methods for recovering single items only after setting deleted items retention policies that are correct for your organization:
I hope this helps.