Re: DP7.01 Object Copy with Source Side dedup (345 Views)
Advisor
rgijsen
Message 1 of 5 (413 Views)
Accepted Solution

DP7.01 Object Copy with Source Side dedup

[ Edited ]

We have about 1.5TB of small files to backup - that takes an age, not much to do about that. We backup it to a B2D device at the same site. Changes are small, and therefore I get awesome dedup rates. Now we also have a remote site planned for backups. I created a second StoreOnce (software) store on a storage server at the remote side. Doing regular backup jobs directly to the remote site works fine with source side dedup and it actually generates unbelievable little bandwidth usage with our data. However as we have our primary backups at the main site, I would prefer to do object copies from the main site to the remote site, especially as there are also SQL and other log-based backups in there. I seem to be unable to get source-side dedup work, so the object copy then takes alot (alot) of bandwidth. The source-dedup devices are just greyed out in object-copy. Object copy with server-side dedup works fine but ofcourse uses much more bandwidth.

Anyone knows how to enable source-dedup on object-copies or another smart way to get the data across without having to make a backup from the actual data again?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 2 of 5 (372 Views)

Re: DP7.01 Object Copy with Source Side dedup

Hi,

the smart way will work as follows:

Edit the porperties of the B2D store at central site (no matter if it is a B6200 or a software store), add the media agent from the branch office as additional gateway to the store from central site and thick "server side dedup" for the server. In the copy job you select as source device the original gateway in destination you select the created gateway. This will do the following: The copy job will read the source data and will rehydrate it, it will pass the data to gateway device (on the same server) and using server side dedup it will dedup the data and transfer it to the store in central site. The first copy job might require more network bandwitdh, all following copy jobs will use a bandwitdh as expected. At the moment the rehydration is required, in later versions of DP it will do the copy without rehydration. Ther might be a little bug in this solution, if the copy jobs aborts with no message (in debug you can see exception) you need to get a hotfix, will post the number if you experience this error.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rgijsen
Message 3 of 5 (359 Views)

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your reply. I never thought of that but it's quite an easy approach :) I've read about several specific hotfixes in dedupliation environments like QCCR2A36561_TM1. I am currently evaluation 7.01. We have 6.1 in our prduction environment but the contracts expired on that one. I am now evaulating 7 especially for it's dedup software approach, if everything works out we will renew our contact. Will HP send out hotfixes for evaluation or is there any other way to get them?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 4 of 5 (345 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

the hotfix you mentioned will handle expired media for the software store. The fix I'm talking about is QCCR2A42318_TM1. However, the hotfixes and Site Specific Patches for Dedup rely on patch bundle 7.01. But if you do not have a valid supportcontract you are not able to download the required patches or to open a software case to request the hotfix. In your situation I would recommend to contact your HP partner, maybe he can together with HP organize that you'll get the required stuff to evaluate the software.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rgijsen
Message 5 of 5 (317 Views)

Thanks. So far everything is running fine, no need for the hotfixes for now.  As soon as we renew our contract I'll request them.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation