Re: DP - Unable to close backup session - "failed to indicate success and complete backup" (185 Views)
Advisor
Adam Reynolds_1
Message 1 of 3 (227 Views)
Accepted Solution

DP - Unable to close backup session - "failed to indicate success and complete backup"

Hi Guru's

A HyperV backup has started to fail with the error: -

[Major] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@mbhyperv4 "HyperV"  Time: 14/08/2013 03:07:49
    Failed to indicate success and complete backup.

[Major] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@mbhyperv4 "HyperV"  Time: 14/08/2013 03:08:26
    Backup failed

The session then hangs and I have to abort it. (takes 20mins)

It backups up the VM ok as it says 23GB backed up, but DP is unable to close the session correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 3 (196 Views)

Re: DP - Unable to close backup session - "failed to indicate success and complete backup"

I don't know if the possible solution would apply to Hyper-V, but, I would first bring up the Task Manager on the Hyper-V server "mbhyperv4", get a list fo running processes, and see if you have any 'ob2bar' processes hanging.  If so, then kill the process

Another thing you could try is to implement KeepAlive (see attachment) for a Full explanation, but the short version is to stop teh Data Perotector INET service on "mbhyperv4", and edit the file

Program Files -> Omniback -> omnirc Windows 2003
or
 Program Data -> Omniback -> omnirc Windows 2008

This file does not exist by default.  If you don't have it, it can be created using Notepad.

Add these lines to the file

OB2IPCKEEPALIVE=1

OB2IPCKEEPALIVETIME=900

OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=60 

Save the file as

Program Files -> Omniback -> omnirc Windows 2003
or
 Program Data -> Omniback -> omnirc Windows 2008

Make sure that the filename has no extension, like ‘txt’ or ‘tmpl’

Restart the Data Protector INET service.

As I said, I don't know if this is the same issue, but, I haved found adding KeepAlive fixes many different problems

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Adam Reynolds_1
Message 3 of 3 (185 Views)

Re: DP - Unable to close backup session - "failed to indicate success and complete backup"

Hi Bob

Thanks for the info. The backup has started working without me having to add the changes you suggested, but I will look into using them.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Adam

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation