Re: DP 8: Error bkp IDB - Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed (1552 Views)
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 1 of 13 (1,808 Views)

DP 8: Error bkp IDB - Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed

Hi,

I am having a problem backing up my BDI version of DP 8.0 on WIndows Server 2012, every session fails with the following message: Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed.

As I am beginner in this environment Data Protector, I wonder if anyone has seen something similar or any solution to this problem.

grateful

Hilton Junior

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 13 (1,782 Views)

Re: DP 8: Error bkp IDB - Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed

You don't state what the OS-type the Data Protector Cell manager is.  Assuming it is Windows, on the Cell Manager, go into Services, and find these services

[HP Data Protector] - Internal Database service
[HP Data Protector] - Internal Database connection pool
[HP Data Protector] - Application Server

Right-click on each of these services, get Properties to find out the Username of the owner of each service (I suspect that they will all be the same)

For this user, the required User Rights Assignments are:
- Allow log on locally
- Log on as a service

------------------

Another possibility:

Check the file on your cell manager

ProgramData -> Omniback -> Server -> db80 -> pg -> postgresql.conf

Look for this line

archive_mode = on

If it is not set to 'on' edit the file to set it, save the file, stop and restart Data Protector
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 3 of 13 (1,749 Views)

Re: DP 8: Error bkp IDB - Putting the Internal Database into the backup mode failed

I performed the checks:

The services are all running, using a Domain Admin user, except for the [Data Protector IDB] running with local administrator user.

The parameter archive_mode with this value on.

Please if you have any more suggestions to solvethe problem, let me know.

I appreciate the help!

Hilton Junior

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 13 (1,746 Views)

I would suggest that you try stopping the IDB service, and changing the owner of the Service to the Domain Admin user, as is the case with the other services

See if the Service will start, if it does, try running the IDB backup

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 5 of 13 (1,676 Views)

HI,

Run the service with Domain Admin user and start the backup, but ocurred same error. What can be?

Hilton Junior
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 6 of 13 (1,672 Views)

I guess that this needs to have a case opened with the response center to get to the bottom this problem

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 7 of 13 (1,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your opinion, Bob_Clark, will open case in support HP.

Hilton Junior

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
alobis
Message 8 of 13 (1,552 Views)

Hi Hilton,

could you resolve this issue? I've the same problem.

Thank you

regards

alobis

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 9 of 13 (1,478 Views)

Hi alobis,

Unsuccessfully in the case, I will open a case with the HP support so that you can.

If you find something let me know.

Regards,
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 10 of 13 (1,469 Views)

Maybe you won't need to.  I had forgotten an old case I had with the same symptoms. Here is how it was resolved

=============

In this case, Data Protector 8 was an upgrade from DP 6.21 (although this is also true if upgrading from DP 7.x).  In their previos installation, their IDB was NOT in the default location

ProgramData -> Omniback -> db40

rather

Program Files -> Omniback -> db40

When the upgrade was made, it turned off Archive mode, causing this error

So, try this:

Stop Data Protector

Edit the file

ProgramData -> Omniback -> Server -> db80 -> pg -> postgresql.conf

and look for the line

archive_mode = off

Edit to line to read

archive_mode = on

Save the file, start Data Protector, try the IDB backup again.  If it still fails, go ahead with your case, but, include in your case documentation that you tried setting 'archive_mode = on', and it didn't help

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hiltonnjr
Message 11 of 13 (1,459 Views)

Hi Bob_Clark,

This line is already with the value "on", because I had read about it, I think even here in the forum. But solved nothing, I still have the error. I will open a case with HP and not forget to mention that this step was performed in an attempt solution.

Thanks for the help.

Hilton Junior

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Chris Garrett_2
Message 12 of 13 (1,249 Views)

Hi Hilton Junior,

Were you able to resolve this issue? If so, are you able to share the fix?

Cheers,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 13 of 13 (1,213 Views)

Hi,

this is a known problem... In most cases it helps to run the command omnidbutil -fixmpos before the IDB backup. Some guys have stored the command in daily healtcheck. You may also give the hotfix QCCR2A50694_TM1 a try.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation