DP 7.01 EADR Recovery method failure (Windows 2008 R2 SP1) (865 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Despina_1
Message 1 of 6 (865 Views)

DP 7.01 EADR Recovery method failure (Windows 2008 R2 SP1)

Hi all.

I'm trying to recover a server (Windows Server 2008 R2 sp1) using EADR method.

Cell Manager is also Windows Server 2008 R2 sp1

Data Protector 7.01 with all the latest patches.

When I boot from the recover CD and the dr process begins I can see on screen that the "Initializing network" step fails. All other steps are ok.

The procedure continues and whichever recovery scope I choose (default or minimal or full) at first I have a warning "Verifying disk count...too small" and then an error on "Reconfiguring the system..." After that my only option is to abort.

Any help??

Occasional Visitor
dion_escarez
Message 2 of 6 (741 Views)

Re: DP 7.01 EADR Recovery method failure (Windows 2008 R2 SP1)

HI,

I'm facing this problem right now. can anyone help us out here?

thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 3 of 6 (729 Views)

this mostly happens if the network card is not recognized, if the driver is missing. is it a virtual machine or physical one?

when you create the ISO file with the DR Wizard in DP Gui, on the last page, did you klick "inject" under drivers??

(see this printscreen) http://www.zerofocus.ch/blog/wp-content/uploads/EADR_W2012_DPGUI_4.png

regards

if you find this post usefull please assign kudos by clicking on the thumbs up icon. thanks :-)
Honored Contributor
JBasilio
Message 4 of 6 (718 Views)

Hello

I guess that you are using different server for to do recover, in such case you must use Dissimilar Hardware option.

Dissimilar Hardware: Available only on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows
Server 2008 systems. If enabled, Data Protector scans the system for missing drivers
during the recovery. The option is enabled by selecting one of the following methods
from the drop-down list:
◦ Unattend (default): This mode automatically configures the operating system to
various hardware platforms using a predefined configuration file. This is the
primary mode of recovery with dissimilar hardware. Use it in the first instance.
◦ Generic: Select this if Unattend mode fails (perhaps because of a misconfiguration
of the restored operating system). It is based on adapting the restored OS registry
and its drivers and services to the dissimilar hardware.

Also as Andre mentioned if network initialization is failing mainly is due diferent NIC card or issue loading driver, for to avoid that use Dissimilar Hardware option.

For second issue with disk size keep in mind the following topics desribed into DR guide.

Prerequisites
Before selecting this method of disaster recovery, consider the following requirements and limitations:
• The Data Protector Automatic Disaster Recovery component must be installed on clients for
which you want to enable recovery using this method and on the system, where the DR OS
image will be prepared. See the HP Data Protector Installation and Licensing Guide.
• The hardware configuration of the target system must be the same as of the original system.
This includes SCSI BIOS settings (sector remapping).
• Replacement disks have to be attached to the same host bus adapter on the same bus.
• The boot partition (on which the DR OS is installed) must be larger than 200 MB or disaster
recovery will fail. If you enabled the Compress drive option to save disk space option on the
original partition, you must have 400 MB free.
• During the EADR preparation, the partition on which Data Protector is installed should have
at least 200 MB of temporary free space. This space is required to create a temporary image.
• All drivers required for boot must be installed under %SystemRoot% folder. If not, they must
be specified in the file kb.cfg. See “Editing the kb.cfg file” (page 68).
• Network must be available when you boot the system in Safe Mode with Networking or in
Directory Services Restore Mode (Domain Controller only), but you must perform the backup
of the system after it was booted with the normal boot process.
• The system’s BIOS must support bootable CD extensions as defined in the El-Torito standard
and read/write access to hard disk drive using LBA addressing via INT13h function XXh. The
BIOS options can either be checked in the user’s manuals of the system or by inspecting the
system setup before the boot.

Best Regards

Occasional Visitor
dion_escarez
Message 5 of 6 (713 Views)

replies here are very useful..

injection of drivers cleared the network initialization error (credits to Andre80)

however, restoration still fails at reconfiguring the system. I followed the steps above from jbasilio but it still failed.

upon checking the phase1.log I found some repetitive errors like:

20131210T235941 ERROR hwparser Failed to get class description (guid={9D6D66A6-0B0C-4563-9077-A0E9A7955AE4};err=3758096902).

20131211T000307 INFO  disk     IOCTL(0x4100c) for device (\\?\PhysicalDrive0) failed. (Error=1)

20131211T000307 INFO  disk     IOCTL(0x2d1400) for device (\\?\PhysicalDrive1) failed. (Error=87)
20131211T000307 INFO  disk     IOCTL(0x41018) for device (\\?\PhysicalDrive1) failed. (Error=50)
20131211T000307 INFO  storage  Querying disk group id.
20131211T000307 INFO  storage  PrimaryPackId value not found.

20131211T000307 ERROR storage  Volume (Volume{d9b257fc-684e-4dcb-ab79-03cfa2f6b750}) with no disk extents.

I took a full backup of the client and destroyed the RAID config of the client then recreate RAID.

so basically, it is 100% identical hardware. any other options?

I'm currently looking at Jbasilio's reply "• The hardware configuration of the target system must be the same as of the original system.
This includes SCSI BIOS settings (sector remapping).
• Replacement disks have to be attached to the same host bus adapter on the same bus."
 because I dont know how to verify these information.

I really appreaciate the replies guys. thank you so much.

I also attached the phase1 log.

Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 6 of 6 (704 Views)

if you find the answers you get usefull here, please assign kudos to those given these answers. you can do that by clicking the colored "star" sign in the left row on each post... :-)

Anyway, havent seen this failure before. you made the raid array new. if you boot with the iso, you have options to open command prompt. if you do so, could you use diskpart and check if the disks are recognized?

if you find this post usefull please assign kudos by clicking on the thumbs up icon. thanks :-)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.