Re: DP 6.21 pending jobs resolution order (219 Views)
Occasional Visitor
cdbunch
Message 1 of 3 (238 Views)

DP 6.21 pending jobs resolution order

We're running Data Protector 6.21 and I'm having a problem with backup jobs timing out because I get multiple jobs waiting on the (single) tape drive and when it finally finishes it runs the last job started rather than the one that has been waiting the longest.

Is there a setting that would cause it to process the pending jobs in FIFO order rather than LIFO?

Thanks,

Clinton

Trusted Contributor
jruffer
Message 2 of 3 (232 Views)

Re: DP 6.21 pending jobs resolution order

As far as I know it's arbitrary which one gets the device first.

Jeremy

Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 3 of 3 (219 Views)

Re: DP 6.21 pending jobs resolution order

jruffer wrote:

As far as I know it's arbitrary which one gets the device first.

Exactly. All "queued" jobs continuously beat on the device lock and when that is freed, the first job to check for it next will win. It's neither LIFO nor FIFO but purely random, but that doesn't make it any better. It really likes to activate newer jobs before the ones that constantly get older, with the result of the latter running into timeouts. I've not checked this with 8.0+ or 8.1+ so I won't post assumptions about it getting better there, either. What I've seen of the new scheduler (which seems to live in a parallel universe that weakly interacts with the existing one, if at all) doesn't let me hold my breath yet.

HTH,

Andre.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.