Re: DP 6.11 - Virtual Environment Integration Component (1095 Views)
Valued Contributor
JDM_Nokia
Message 1 of 8 (1,178 Views)

DP 6.11 - Virtual Environment Integration Component

Hello gurus,

I am running DP 6.11 on my HP-UX 11.11 server with the VMware (Legacy) Integration component installed.  I would like to install the Virtual Environment (VE) component on my server.

Where do I find this component?

Where do I find directions for installing this component?

It is my understanding that I can run both of these on the same CM as long as there is no VCB involved (there is not).  Do I have this info correct?

Due to company rules regarding DP patches, the latest patches that I have installed are from Feb 15, 2012.  Are these patches good enough to get me started?

Appreciate the help!

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 8 (1,176 Views)

Re: DP 6.11 - Virtual Environment Integration Component

You're looking for this document...

HP Data Protector A.06.11 Support for VMware vStorage

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02589263/c02589263.pdf

The component should be included in your Windows installation server repository. You can push this component to a supported Windows host. Yes, you can have use both integrations at the same time. Because of that, HP has rebranded the previous integration as VMware (legacy). Your patch level should be fine, as long as you have applied the VEPA patch as well to your Windows IS. (DPWIN_00490: Windows - VEPA Consolidated Packet)

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Valued Contributor
JDM_Nokia
Message 3 of 8 (1,144 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello gurus,

I installed the below patches on my HP-UX 11.11 CM & IS as well as the windows patches for my Windows IS.  I was expecting one of thesse patches to install the VE environment component on my Installation Servers once I upgraded each server.

This did not work as it is still not there.

Another weird thing is that it appears that patch DPWIN_00511 (VE Agent) supersedes DPWIN_00490 (VEPA).  Yet both patches are out there on the HP DP download site.  Not sure why this is the case.

I am also not sure why the 511 patch is not showing up as a loaded patch on my windows IS.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

HP-UX CM & IS patches:

Patch level         Patch description
===========================================
PHSS_42698/PHSS_42699/DPSOL_00481/DPLNX_00187 Core Component
PHSS_42700          Cell Manager Component
PHSS_42704/PHSS_42705/DPSOL_00484/DPLNX_00190 Disk Agent
PHSS_42706/PHSS_42707/DPSOL_00485/DPLNX_00191 Media Agent
PHSS_42702/PHSS_42703/DPSOL_00483/DPLNX_00189 User Interface
PHSS_40817/PHSS_40818/DPSOL_00411/DPLNX_00117 Java User Interface
PHSS_41725/PHSS_41726/DPSOL_00434/DPLNX_00140 English Documentation & Help
Number of patches found: 7.

Windows IS:

Patch level         Patch description
===========================================
DPWIN_00557         Core Component
DPWIN_00557         Core of Integrations component
DPWIN_00560         Disk Agent
DPWIN_00559         User Interface
DPWIN_00508         MS Volume Shadow Copy Integration
DPWIN_00556         Automatic Disaster Recovery Module
DPWIN_00518         English Documentation & Help
Number of patches found: 7.

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 8 (1,135 Views)

You're missing two things.

1. Install VEPA Consolidated Packet DPWIN_00490.EXE first, then follow the "Special installation instructions" in the patch since this packet adds new DP functionality. Apply DPWIN_00511.EXE once the new component are visible in IS repository. 511 has no special installation instructions.

2. omnicheck -patches will only display installed products and patches, not the IS repository.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Valued Contributor
JDM_Nokia
Message 5 of 8 (1,131 Views)

Sebastian,

Appreciate the info!

Looking at the special instructions, I am at step 5, execute "perl  installscript.pl  -import_is <HOSTNAME>" on the CM.  The file "installscript.pl" is on my windows IS.  The CM is on HP-UX. 

Does this mean I should copy the "installscript.pl" from my Windows IS server to my HP-UX CM?  Or should I delete the Windows IS via the GUI and then import it from there?  Option #2 seems like the better option, but my day is done and backups are running.  Thus I don't want to screw things up.

Details seem to be lacking if the CM and Windows IS are on different platforms.

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 6 of 8 (1,120 Views)

Ok, please let us start over. I'm don't remember correctly how this was done with a UNIX CS and DPWIN_00490.EXE or if this was working at all. When DPWIN_00490.EXE came out it was designed to work on a older set of patches. I think you don't need it any longer. Please go for latest patches UNIX and Windows patches including DPWIN_00511.EXE.

It seems that the IS must be re-imported using GUI after DPWIN_00511.EXE has been applied. Make sure the CS has been patched with the latest available 6.11 patches first.

This Patch can be installed on either the Installation
Server system or on the client system(s) locally.

If the patch is installed on the Installation Server
system, the clients except the Cell Manager must be
upgraded using the Upgrade Client button in the
Data Protector GUI in order to apply the patch.

If the patch is applied to the Cell Manager
system and the Cell Manager is not the same
physical system as the Installation Server, then
this patch must be installed locally on the
Cell Manager system.

If Data Protector Installation Server is installed
on a system other than the Cell Manager system, the
Installation server (IS) has to be re-imported
through Data Protector GUI, after the VE Agent Patch
installation on the IS.

This patch depends on the Core patch DPWIN_00519.
Be sure to install Core patch DPWIN_00519 first
(or the current successor of it).

This patch depends on the Cell Console patch DPWIN_00504,
Without DPWIN_00504 (or the current successor of it),
the VE Agent GUI functionality will not be displayed
correctly in the Data Protector GUI.

Also, this patch depends on the Cell Server Patch
DPWIN_00499, Without DPWIN_00499 (or the
current successor of it), Virtual Environment
Integration Component will not be displayed in
the Installation Server.

Let me know how it goes. I've done this some years ago and sometimes its hard to remember. :)

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Valued Contributor
JDM_Nokia
Message 7 of 8 (1,101 Views)

Ok Sebastian,

Well it looks like I got the Virtual Environement (VE) installed on my IS.  But in the process of getting this installed and  figured out, it has opened up a whole new set of questions...

Firstoff, I now understand why HP has DPWIN_00490 and DPWIN_00511 still up on their patch download site.  You need to install the 490 patch first.  Then follow the special instructions for this patch thru step 4.  If your CM is on a different platform as mine is, you need to substitute what follows for step 5.  Delete the Windows IS and then import it back into the CM.  The execute step 6. 

Once you have the VE component added to the IS, then you can install the 511 patch.

Now for my questions:

1)  Once I get VE installed, the "VMware Integration (legacy)" icon was replaced by a "Virtual Environment" icon.  All of the backups that I had under the former are now under the latter.  Here is where I get confused once again.  The manual makes mention that the legacy and the non legacy components can coexist.  Yet, there is no longer a "legacy" icon under backups.  So what exactly does HP mean when it says that they can coexist?  My interpretation was that I can run VMware backups either in legacy mode or non-legacy mode.  I don't think that my interpretation is correct.  What are your thoughts on this?

2)  Should I recreate all of my VM backups that were created using the legacy functionality?

Appreciate the help!

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 8 of 8 (1,095 Views)

1. If the VMware Integration (legacy) is installed to any Windows host in the cell, you should be able to configure those backups. Maybe you need to re-import your VMware Integration (legacy) hosts as well to have an current cell_info. Then upgrade them as well from Windows IS.

2. VADP is is general much better then VCB or VMware Snapshot backups. There is no need to recreate them, but you might want to setup VADP backups as a replacement.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.