Re: DB2 - Archived log backup issue. (2167 Views)
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 1 of 12 (2,236 Views)
Accepted Solution

DB2 - Archived log backup issue.

Hi DP Gurus!!!,

For DB2 integration with DP 6.2, is it possible to schedule the "Arhived_log" bckup ??

please help me understand, why do we need to have a dedicated drive to backup the archive logs of DB2 unlike any other Database integrations with DP ??

its a bit ambigous when I look into the DP Guide.

Thanks a million all friends.....

******Assign Kudos (click on the white star) should you find it useful. *******
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 12 (2,229 Views)

Re: DB2 - Archived log backup issue.

I'm not an expert regarding DB2, but from the manual I understand that an Online Backup will trigger the Archive Log backup right after completion. Might be related to the way the backup mode is implemented. To allow both backup jobs to run successfully, two devices are required to allow concurrent operation.

Scheduling or manual start is not possible...

Archived_Logs_Backup - Used for backing up only archived logs. This type of backup specification can be saved, but not started or scheduled. It is used every time the User Exit program starts the backup of archived logs.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 3 of 12 (2,223 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks a lot for that info. 

Means to say that, even if schedule a backup job to backup the archive logs, it wont start as per the schedule. right ?  Means.. we can only specify the tape drive through which the archive log can be backed up ...right ?

1 more doubt with regards to DB2.

Is it possible to do the following :-

1.  An online backup of DB2  has been done at the PROD site (has online integration license to do this).

2. I need to restore this DB from the online backup (triggered at PROD site) at DR site where I don't have a license to do online backup of DB2.

Normally it's not possible even if I carry the tape (which contains the backup of DB2) to DR site and try to rstore . right ??

What if I change the hsotname and IP of the Cell manager of DR site to that of same as PROD site and configure the integration using the installed license at PROD site and restore the DB2 at DR site ??

IS this possible ? Anybody have tried this before ?

Actually, this is a way to fool DP , but ..is this possible ??

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 12 (2,213 Views)

I just setup a DB2 instance, since there are a lot of questions around this topic this week. The archive log requires you to setup two backup jobs. The backup of the database and the archive logs. The user running the DB instance must be able to start Data Protector backups from database server. (must be in DP user group) Reconfigure your DB to do archive logging using the user exit routine. If the online backup is running, the archive log session is started from the database server. (running at the same time) This should also occour when the user exit routine is triggered by the database server in case of general archive logging. The DBA should be able to schedule or trigger the archive logging from DB2 then.

You could setup a standby cell manager at DR site There is a whitepaper around how to do this, which should also cover licensing. In general, an online extension is required if your run both CS in parallel for production.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 5 of 12 (2,208 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for that info. 

The problem is "Archive_log_Backup" does not run in any circumstances ???

What I have done is :

1. Created the archive log backup specs and specified the medium

2. When I run the online DB2 backup, no archive log backup is running ? (confirmed from "Monitor" context)

3. Following parametere are set from DB2 (LOGRETAIN =ON, USEREXIT=ON logarchmeth1=USEREXIT)

Please help me if there is any other parameters to be set so that My archive log can be run ?

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 6 of 12 (2,206 Views)

I've configured the DB2 database using the following parameters....

UPDATE DB CFG FOR SAMPLE USING logarchmeth1 USEREXIT logprimary 3 logsecond -1 logfilsiz 16384;

When both backup jobs have been configured, run the a DB2 full backup in offline mode. This must be specified in the backup object summary. I guess this will configure the instance for the next online backups. When I created a lot of changes to a table in the database, the archive log backup was triggered from DB2 instance automatically from time to time.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 7 of 12 (2,193 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

I have changed all the parameter above mentioned. No luck. Really stuck here ... Anybody ..plsssss help if you know this ....

Thanks a millionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 8 of 12 (2,174 Views)

Have you done the offline backup? I think this is mandatory for complete setup.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 9 of 12 (2,172 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

I have done a full offline backup already. 

Following the error log I am getting from DB2 side - DB2 log : 

"

“ADM1832E DB2 was unable to find the user exit program when archiving log file “S0000123.LOG” from “/db2/PM1/log_dir/NODE000/” for database “PM1”. The error code was 24”

"

Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 10 of 12 (2,169 Views)

Ok, the error message indicates that the user exit program was not found. This could mean it is not present on the system or not found in the environment PATH of the system. Data Protector adds the binary path to PATH variable. Could be, that the system requires a restart of the DB server or the whole system to "see" the binary.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/admin/r00002...

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 11 of 12 (2,167 Views)

Hi Sbastian,

1. We have to do the linking from opt/omni/lbin/db2arch to db2uext2 at DB2 Client. (not given in the guid)

2. Have to do the intgration with virtual name instead of physical name in a clustered environment.

Occasional Visitor
roopareddy
Message 12 of 12 (304 Views)

hii dp team,

we use  dp to take the db2 backup's,we have scheduled online backup everyday,but the log backup is triggered automatically,when ever anychange is happned in the database or when ever a log is generated,it means the log backup is triggering automatically for 2 to 3 minutes,as we use the database frequently,,

can u please suggest any solution for this

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.