Concidering Omniback Upgrade from 2.55 to 3.10 (143 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gregory D Donovan
Message 1 of 4 (143 Views)

Concidering Omniback Upgrade from 2.55 to 3.10

We have a D370 with 256MB of ram running Omniback 2.55 that we are thinking about upgrading to 3.10. This system is backing up oracle file systems cold about 60GB in size. Restore times are about 22hrs for a 56GB oracle file system. This is using a DLT 4000. What can we expect to find in the way of enhancements or functionality with this upgrade? Are there any problems we can expect?

Thanks
G.Donovan
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 2 of 4 (143 Views)

Re: Concidering Omniback Upgrade from 2.55 to 3.10

There are a couple of things to look out for.

1. Before you install, go out at also download the current patches.

http://ovweb.external.hp.com/cpe/patches/ob/ob.html

2. You may find performance to be somewhat slower (getting the patches should help.)

3. If you were doing a HOT (integration) backup of Oracle, you should PLAN on re-doing your integration with Oracle - it will be different.

4. Upgrade of the Omniback database from the 2.55 format to the 3.1 format may fail - there is a work around if it does.

5. The manuals have detailed insturctions for upgrade.

http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

Thanks for using Omniback.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Esteemed Contributor
Dave Wherry
Message 3 of 4 (143 Views)

I honestly can not recommend it. We upgraded from UX 10.20 to 11.0. Then followed that with the 2.55 to 3.10 upgrade. All of the backups run significantly slower. The OmniBack database backup went from 1 hour to 3.5 hours. All of the Oracle backups, both on-line and off-line take longer. We're hoping that 3.5 fixes the performance problems we see.
Also, much of the Oracle integration was broken. I did not work on that part so I can not tell you details. Our backup jobs simply failed. I was told some 2.55 functionality was taken out in 3.1. Our Oracle guys worked with HP for a couple of weeks to resolve it and finally ended up scripting around the missing functionality.
In all fairness, maybe it was something my predecesor had done in the 2.55 setup that got blown away in the 3.1 upgrade. I can just tell you it was not smooth.
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 4 of 4 (143 Views)

Changes were made to the Omniback database - some of those changes were for stability. I do recommend that you plan an upgrade off of 2.55 to any of 3.0, 3.1 or 3.5.

Be sure to look at the support matrices; you may find support has been eliminated for older devices or older software versions.

See the 'system requirements"

http://openview.hp.com/products/omnibacknt/system/
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.