B6965BA - how many (1186 Views)
Super Advisor
Igor V Abzalov
Message 1 of 9 (1,186 Views)

B6965BA - how many

[ Edited ]

Hi. Two questions

1. Can HP confirm, that each license  B6965BA is required only for each server that backed up simultaneously ?

If i have 50 servers, but only 4 of them want to start copy in one moment - do i must to have ONLY 4, not 50 On-line licensies ?

2. If i have 3 VMware vSphere 4 ESX servers - do i must to have ONLY 1 GRE License, not 3, to copy virtual servers from one ESX server, and can use the same license to copy virtual servers from second ESX server at another moment, when copy from first don't run?

Valued Contributor
Blueskies
Message 2 of 9 (1,170 Views)

Re: B6965BA - how many

Hi Igor,

1. The only concurrency based licenses in DP are tape drive licenses, the remainder, including online extensions, are server based.  Thus if you have 50 x application/db servers (E.g.Exchange or SQL) you need 50 x online extensions. As soon as you install an online integration into a client, DP will allocate a license to that server.  The only way to free up that license is to remove the online integration from the client.

2. Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are saying here.  For any ESX(i) server upon which you wish to perform granular recovery of a VM requires a GRE license (TB737AAE).  If there is a particular Windows guest that you wish to perform granular recovery for, and you are using vMotion, then each and every ESX(i) host that the particular VM could be housed upon requires a GRE license.  On the other hand, if there is only a single ESX(i) server which houses VM guests for which you wish to perform GRE, and they will only ever be housed upon that single ESX(i) server, then you only require 1 x GRE license.

HTH

Blueskies from down-under...
Super Advisor
Igor V Abzalov
Message 3 of 9 (1,167 Views)

[ Edited ]
Well let me explain. I have vSphere DRS cluster (vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses) with about 50 virtual Windows servers and 3 vSphere servers. I want backup it all with two ways. First is VEIA way - all 50 virtual severs backup to D2D and then to Ultrium LTO 5 library. Second way is backup all database virtual servers to same devices. It is about 40 virtual MSSQL, Oracle servers. How should I bought HP licenses to complete these tasks?

As I understand online license is used only when I start backup session (manually or by scheduler) and only at this moment. Am I right?

I don't want to start 40 or 50 sessions at the same moment because I have enough night time to complete all needed backups.

So, why should I pay HP for functionality that I don' t want to use?
Super Advisor
Igor V Abzalov
Message 4 of 9 (1,140 Views)

Anybody can help me?
Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 5 of 9 (1,136 Views)

Igor V Abzalov wrote:
Anybody can help me?

Not as long you opinion is

> So, why should I pay HP for functionality that I don' t want to use?

Blueskies explained everything.

- Online extensions is required per server

- GRE is required per VMware Server where the virtual Machine could be hosted

In both cases it is not possible to move the licence around as needed

Valued Contributor
Blueskies
Message 6 of 9 (1,132 Views)

Hi Igor,

Igor V Abzalov wrote:
Well let me explain. I have vSphere DRS cluster (vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses) with about 50 virtual Windows servers and 3 vSphere servers. I want backup it all with two ways. First is VEIA way - all 50 virtual severs backup to D2D and then to Ultrium LTO 5 library. Second way is backup all database virtual servers to same devices. It is about 40 virtual MSSQL, Oracle servers. How should I bought HP licenses to complete these tasks?

As I understand online license is used only when I start backup session (manually or by scheduler) and only at this moment. Am I right?

I don't want to start 40 or 50 sessions at the same moment because I have enough night time to complete all needed backups.

So, why should I pay HP for functionality that I don' t want to use?

OK, so now you are being a little more precise - if the servers are VM guests and you are using VEPA (which is what I presume you meant by VEIA?), so using VADP (vStorage APIs for Data Protection), then the answer is "it depends".

VADP is VSS integrated so if the guest is Windows 2003 or later, and is running a VSS-compliant application, then VADP will provide for a point-in-time application-consistent snapshot and consequent backup.  Such a backup can be restored to the point-in-time of the backup.  If this is sufficient to meet your recovery requirements, then no agents need be placed into the VMs, and you only need the B6965BAE license per ESX(i) host.

If you need a higher level of integration into the application, for example log truncation in SQL or automated recovery to any point-in-time, then an agent does need to be installed in the guest and thus will require a license.  This is also true for any guest running a database on Linux that requires online backup.

So bottom line you need 1 x B6965BAE per ESX(i) host plus 1 x B6965BAE per guest that requires advanced app/db integration.

Blueskies from down-under...
Super Advisor
Igor V Abzalov
Message 7 of 9 (1,127 Views)

Thank you for answers. I think it is better to change license model for Online license so I could pay only for what I use and not for what I may use. Or may be some discount for virtual servers against hardware servers. If I use virtual server I already pay HP and VMware and Microsoft enough don't I ? What is the difference if I always uninstall integration module after backup for example and when I simply install it and do not start it ? If I understand there is no difference. And if I have only one OS on this hardware server and same count of MSSQL instances - I must pay only for one Online license, am I right?
Super Advisor
Igor V Abzalov
Message 8 of 9 (1,126 Views)

Well last question - where I can see in License Agreement all about DP licenses and about Online license terms of use?
Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 9 of 9 (1,116 Views)

Regarding multiple instances and online extension, yes you are right - if you get it work you can run all 50 instances on 1 Server and need only 1 licence, it's per server (currently without any difference if virtual or physical system).

Regardings Terms of Use, should be on the CD's - perhaps downloading the trial versions helps here. A pretty good explanation is inside the quickspecs: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11671_div/11671_div.pdf

hth,

Stephan

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.