Autoloader 1/8 G2 LTO6 6250 FC & Data protector over SAN switch on EVA4400 (482 Views)
Occasional Visitor
chungnn2
Message 1 of 9 (482 Views)
Accepted Solution

Autoloader 1/8 G2 LTO6 6250 FC & Data protector over SAN switch on EVA4400

Hi,

My company using DP cell manager on windows 2003 and backup via MSL2024 SCSI.

Now i have a new autoloader 1/8 G2 LTO6 FC to replace MSL2024.

Autoloader & DP Cell manager connect to SAN switch on EVA4400.

On DP cell manager i run autoconfigure to recognize autoloder but not found.

Pls help me to add autoloader fc to Data protector.

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 2 of 9 (453 Views)

Re: Autoloader 1/8 G2 LTO6 6250 FC & Data protector over SAN switch on EVA4400

Hi,

for Windows 2003 and if the devices are listed in device manager but not recognized by Data Protector, please search for KB945119 at Microsoft.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Occasional Visitor
chungnn2
Message 3 of 9 (439 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much!

After apply that hotfix, i run autoconfigure on DP Cell manager, dp can recognized autoloader but it appear with no drives found.

(see in attachment)

Pls help me.

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 9 (409 Views)

When you see 'No Tape Drives' in the GUI this is the graphical representation of running the command

cd \Program Files\Omniback\bin

devbra -dev

If you see no drives here, then my next step is to look at the Windows Device Manager

On the Media Agent, go to Windows Device Manager, and look for Tape Drives.  If you find this, see if it has a |+| sign next to it, enabling you to Expand

The Device Manager, is going to show two things that Data Protector cares about

Media Changer

Tape Drives

If one, or both, of these categories are not seen in the Device Manager, it is not a Data Protector issue.  I would check the cabeling to make sure that everything is connected, and terminated properly.  You may also want to reboot the Media Agent to rediscover SCSI-attached devices, and reboot the Tape Library itself

Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 5 of 9 (402 Views)

Hi,

given the MA host is on 2003 and thus a little older, it's probably just the LTO tape driver that doesn't recognize LTO6 yet. Upgrade that driver to the latest version from HP, make sure the drive pops up in device manager, and rediscover (or manually add) in DP.

BTW, why not plug the LTO6 FC drive into the MSL2024? I would consider a 1/8 loader a downgrade when you came from 24 slots. Of course, if the MSL is from the LTO3 or 4 era, you probably still need it to access the old media for some time to come, and with the 1/8 you reduce the temptation to leave all your LTO6 media in the library (less work with vaulting, but means losing all the tapes together with the backup server in case of a catastrophic event). If the MA is on 2003, is it really powerful enough to feed an LTO6 drive, though?

HTH,

An"2nd thoughts"dre.

Occasional Visitor
chungnn2
Message 6 of 9 (383 Views)

Thanks you very much.

My MSL2024 was broke and it used scsi card for backup. 

i have installed DP on Windows server 2008 and it recognized autoloader successfull and can control tape autoloader.

And i want to backup via san switch on EVA4400 ( not via LAN). 

Server connect to san but not have any LUN on EVA4400, it only using local disk. But when i run backup from DP cell manager, data from server will transfer via fc card to san to autoloader. (not via Lan).

I setup a Backup job but cannot find any options to prefer the path for data transfer via FC card.

I used scsi for a long time and this is the first time i have fc tape for backup. I dont know how to config it and dont have support account on HP passport.

Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 7 of 9 (360 Views)

Re,

• Of course if it's broke than that's a reason to replace it. Given the price point of LTO drives, a care pack is something to really ponder here, though - I know installations that work through a drive every other year, simply because they write and read in a duty cycle of more than 50%. It's highly stressed mechanics, after all.
  • The MSL2024 has no native interface. It inherits its SCSI control from one of its drives. That's what I meant: You take out the old parallel SCSI drive, plug in the new SAS or FC one, and suddenly you have an SAS or FC library. But of course, if the robotics itself went south, that's not an option.
  • When you connect to the drive (and by proxy, the library robotics) through FC, there is no way the backup could go there over LAN instead. So I'm not sure what you're up to, except when there are other backup clients involved. See next bullet.
  • Classic "SAN backup" is a concept where, instead of pumping backup data from a DA to an MA which in turn connects to the drive by FC (with the first step necessarily being LAN), you equip every client with connectivity to the SAN (FC HBAs), install an MA on them as well, and then set up things so the client in question uses the local MA to connect to the drive through FC directly. It has a lot of issues that may easily destroy any expected throughput advantage, but it can fit well in specific circumstances. To configure that, have a closer look at the library properties page, specifically the MultiPath Device checkmark and the Client combobox.
  • FC mostly differs from SCSI in that you are suddenly no longer on a small dedicated peer-to-peer link but a potentially vast network. The most critical thing to do right there is zoning away anything from your drives and your hosts that isn't supposed to contact them. There are still occasional glitches possible (like, say, FC-connected hosts that reboot and SCSI reset your drive, rewinding it in the middle of a session), but at least you control the number of possible sources.

HTH,

Andre.

Occasional Visitor
chungnn2
Message 8 of 9 (328 Views)

I mean all server connect to san switch, and when i start a job backup for that server,

Local disk data will transfer over fc card to san switch to DP cell and write to autoloader.

But when i run test a job backup it seem data still transfer over LAN and write to autoloader with 8MB/s.

How can i configure Data Protector to transfer data over FC to DP cell Manager and write to Autoloader.

i have installed DP 7 with DA & MA for all DP client.

Thanks.

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 9 of 9 (306 Views)

A Tape drive connected through a fiber-channel switch is considered to be locally attached, as opposed to Network-attached.  This means when a backup starts, the Disk Agent (VBDA) and the Media Agent (BMA) are referencing the same hostname

The most common way to implement this is by using the 'MultiPath' option in Device configuration where, ffor a single device, you designate several servers as controlling the tape drive.  You can start by including the hostname and SCSI-Path of the machine you want to back up locally in your device configuration

Then, in the Backup specification, get Properties of the drive being used for teh backup, and check the box 'Use Preferred Host', and enter the hostname in the displayed field

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.