Re: Access to same device from different VLAN's (270 Views)
Occasional Advisor
HNBS BSS SS TBP
Message 1 of 9 (270 Views)

Access to same device from different VLAN's

We have a backup server based on DP 5.1 (Windows 2003) connected to an ESL9000 tape library. This server is also connected to 2 VLAN's.

Now we backup the clients via VLAN A and we want to backup other clients via VLAN B. Is this possible? If yes, how do I configure this?

Now the disk agents on clients in VLAN A access the media agent on the backup server. Can a disk agent on a client in VLAN B connect to the media agent on the backup server and the same device?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Edwin Meyer
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 2 of 9 (270 Views)

Re: Access to same device from different VLAN's

Hi,
Yes, it is possible. Create a new client and select "Virtual host" .
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 3 of 9 (270 Views)

Sorry,

I expressed me wrong. You should IMPORT the secondary LAN client as a virtual host, not create.
Occasional Advisor
HNBS BSS SS TBP
Message 4 of 9 (270 Views)

Thanks,

I don't think it is a solution to my problem. I have to clarify our situation.

When trying to backup clients only connected to VLAN B, the disk agent is trying to connect the media agent on VLAN A. But there is no route between the both VLAN's. This will result in the following messages:

[Normal] From: VBDA@client.vlan-b "W:" Time: 23-11-2004 21:21:39
STARTING Disk Agent for client.vlan-b:/W "W:".

[Critical] From: BDA-NET@client.vlan-b "W:" Time: 23-11-2004 21:22:02
Cannot connect to Media Agent on system backupserver.vlan-a, port 3829
(IPC Cannot Connect System error: [10060] Connection timed out) => aborting.

[Critical] From: VBDA@client.vlan-b "W:" Time: 23-11-2004 21:22:02
Unexpected close reading NET message => aborting.

[Normal] From: VBDA@client.vlan-b "W:" Time: 23-11-2004 21:22:02
ABORTED Disk Agent for client.vlan-b:/W "W:".

Can I specify a virtual server for the backup server and define a logical device for the same tape libray without any problem?

Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 5 of 9 (270 Views)

Thus you will need to import the network name for the media server on VLAN B as a virtual host.

And then create additional drives under the library, one for each physical drive, hosted by the client "media server name on VLAN B".

To determine the name of the client on VLAN A and VLAN B, I would assume a ping -a on the client should show two different names as being Pinged.

Assuming the cell manager can get to the IP address represented by "name on VLAN B".

Make sure that each drive which represents the same physical drive (ie, has the same drive index) has the same lockname configured in the Other tab of the Advanced Settings for the drive definitions.

Then your backups of clients on VLAN B should be using the drives "VLAN_B_D1", etc. or whatever you end up naming the drives which are hosted by the virtual client which is the network name of the media server on VLAN B.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Occasional Advisor
HNBS BSS SS TBP
Message 6 of 9 (270 Views)

Yes, in our case we should create a virtual host for the backup server with the name backupserver.vlan-b with it's own ip-address, and create additional logical devices.

Ping -a and will show different names.

The cell manager on the backup server can get to the IP address represented by name on VLAN B (also by name on VLAN A).

This is a solution for backing up clients on different VLAN's (without a route between each other) I have to test. Is this the only and best solution how to do this, or are there other possibilities.

Thanks so far.
Honored Contributor
Leif Halvarsson_2
Message 7 of 9 (270 Views)

Hi,
It depends on what you mean. If you want to backup, using a dedicated backup lan, it is the correct (and the best and, as I can see, also the only) solution.

If you just want to offload the production lan there is other solutions but, this solutions need different technology. For example SAN or local backup devices.
Occasional Advisor
HNBS BSS SS TBP
Message 8 of 9 (270 Views)

We have the backup server connected to a backup lan (vlan a) and and a production lan (vlan b). The new servers are backupped using the dedicated backup lan, but we want also back up legacy servers only connected to the production lan.

I think it is the best solution for now, until the legacy servers are replaced by new servers with connections to both vlan's.

Thanks
Occasional Advisor
HNBS BSS SS TBP
Message 9 of 9 (270 Views)

Solution is to specify a virtual host for the backup server and a logical device for the same physical backup device,
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.