[90:59] Cannot open exchanger control device ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. ) (2225 Views)
Advisor
paternostertje
Message 1 of 13 (2,225 Views)
Accepted Solution

[90:59] Cannot open exchanger control device ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. )

All backup fail with this message. Can't even scan slots. Removable Storage services is disabled. Using DP5.1 on WIn2003 + msl6030. (One of our SCSI harddisks failed and has been replaced)
No tape devices are available in device manager.
live 4 love
Frequent Advisor
Martin Lange
Message 2 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Re: [90:59] Cannot open exchanger control device ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. )

This is a standard problem after a change of the disk configuration. Check in dp devices tab if the scsi address of the robtic has changed. If it has, you need to adapt the disk addresses too.
Advisor
paternostertje
Message 3 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Re: [90:59] Cannot open exchanger control device ([2] The system cannot find the file specified. )

How can I be sure if the robotic adress has been changed or not? How can I change the disk addresses?
live 4 love
Frequent Advisor
Martin Lange
Message 4 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Select the devices & media. Expand devices. Right-click your library and choose properties. In the control tab you will find the robotics scsi address. Open teh pop-down list for to start the scis scan.
You will get to your drives address if you expand the library and the drives entry. right click the drive and choose properties as before. You can change the address in the drive tab.
Regards,
Martin
Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 5 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Run "OmniBack\bin\devbra -dev" to see Data Protector's opinion of the robotics and tape devices present on the system. Then again, if you don't see it in Device Manager, you're not going to see it in devbra.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Advisor
paternostertje
Message 6 of 13 (2,225 Views)

De tapelibrary isn't visible in device manager so devbra doesnt seem to work. When opening devices and media, in de control tab,SCSI address of the library robotic, it says "no devices found error 12:1406"
live 4 love
Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 7 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Well, if you've got nothing in Device Manager, and thus nothing in devbra, you have a hardware problem.

Power down the server, power down the library, power up the library, power up the server. If still nothing, then I suggest you log a support call with whomever you have hardware support for your storage solution.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Advisor
paternostertje
Message 8 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Shuting down the library and server, powering up the library and then powering up the server was the correct answer. Everything seems to be working again. (robotic reappeared in device manager on all servers, scanning slots works again ...)

TNX
live 4 love
Frequent Advisor
Thomas Goldbeck
Message 9 of 13 (2,225 Views)

Hi, I have a similar problem. I added a new adic scalar 24. An older adic scalar 100 is already configured an working (on a 2nd SCSI). The system recognizes all scsi adresses of the new library (drive and lib). But when displaying the option to choose the libray, the old one is display with all slots (45) then new one shows 0 for the slots (24). When I make a barcodescan I receive the above error.
man_1
Visitor
TonySantos
Message 10 of 13 (1,470 Views)

Hello,

I am having exact problem.  The restart server and library did not work for me.  My devbra -dev shows nothing.  Also when I check from the devices and media, in the control tab, SCSI address of the library robotic, it says "no devices found error 12:1406" and the option "Automatically discover changed SCSI Address" is NOT checked.  Do I need to select this and if so, how to activate it or make the cell manager read the updated SCSI Address? (see image attached)

Thanks, 

Tony

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 11 of 13 (1,454 Views)

The key is in this statement:

"My devbra -dev shows nothing ". 

Whenever you access a media device for any reason, the 'devbra -dev' is always done first.

Make sure that your OS is seeing the devices by going into the Device Manager on the System that is controlling to robotics and/or drives.  Are you seeing "Media Changer"?  Are you seeing Drives? If you expand either one, is it saying 'Unknown'?

If not, you should probably reboot the tape library, then, reboot the Media Agent that controls the Robotocs and/or the drives, and check the Device Manager again.  If nothing has changed, check for a problem with the physical connection to the tape library, like an in-plugged cable, or a problem with the SCSI terminator

If the Device Manager looks OK, make sure that you are up to date with drivers for the Media Changer and Drives.  You may also want to try disabling the drivers (DP will take it either way) by right-clicking on the device, and picking Disable, and run the 'devbra -dev again

Visitor
TonySantos
Message 12 of 13 (1,446 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your response.  I attached the screenshot of the device manager. 

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tony

Visitor
TonySantos
Message 13 of 13 (1,443 Views)

Library_DeviceMgr.png

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.