Re: Thaaaaaanks HP. Was this really necessary? (1436 Views)
Regular Advisor
Paul Maglinger
Message 1 of 24 (1,953 Views)
Accepted Solution

Thaaaaaanks HP. Was this really necesssary?

Beautful.  What I used to be able to find in seconds now takes minutes.  Was it really necessary to take years of forum information and basically remove the indexing from one of the best and widely recognized search engines in the world?  Think people!

Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 2 of 24 (1,938 Views)

Re: Thaaaaaanks HP. Was this really necesssary?

Think is exactly what they didn't do.

Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 3 of 24 (1,870 Views)

Occasional Advisor
mark stephens
Message 4 of 24 (1,799 Views)

Not happy with none of the google links working.

What on earth were you people thinking?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 24 (1,797 Views)

Re: Thaaaaaanks HP. Was this really necessary?

[ Edited ]

>Not happy with none of the google links working.

Try searching with: ... site:h30499.www3.hp.com

Advisor
Otis Stockstill
Message 6 of 24 (1,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

hey thanks dennis, that's a useful as screen doors on a submarine. any google search that points to an itrc article automatically gets redirected to this useless page:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Announcements/ITRC-redirect-announcement/td-p/4805811

and there is no way to actually go to the article you wanted to see from there.

having to deal with hp support is bad enough, now someone in their infinite wisdom has decided to make it nearly impossible to find possible solutions quickly without wading through even more hp silliness. great job.

not a happy customer

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 24 (1,690 Views)

[ Edited ]

>any google search that points to an ITRC forum article automatically gets redirected

Did you try it?

By adding "site:h30499.www3.hp.com" you don't find stale ITRC threads, you find the new version in the EBC forum.

Advisor
Otis Stockstill
Message 8 of 24 (1,676 Views)

Dennis Handly wrote:

>any google search that points to an ITRC forum article automatically gets redirected

Did you try it?

By adding "site:http://h30499.www3.hp.com" you don't find stale ITRC threads, you find the new version in the EBC forum.

you do realize that if you're not logged in to this new wonder of hp design that link doesn't work? the op is talking about a simple google search, not some convoluted circus act way of getting basic information to what could be a simple solution.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 24 (1,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

>you do realize that if you're not logged in to this new wonder of HP design that link doesn't work? the op is talking about a simple google search

I didn't provide a link, just google syntax.  To make it clear how to use "site:":

Old forum google search syntax:

+handly +sed +chmod +chown +security site:itrc.hp.com

New forum google search syntax:

+handly +sed +chmod +chown +security site:h30499.www3.hp.com

Advisor
Otis Stockstill
Message 10 of 24 (1,667 Views)

see i'm looking at this from not only the perspective of "who knew?" but from the point of a new person to a company unfortunate enough to have hp enterprise hardware under support, he/she may not have an hp passport account nor does he/she have full access to all the contract info needed to do his/her job when an issue arises. that in itself makes the entire fiasco useless.

if the old itrc posts were properly redirected to the new links created in this wonder of hp thought processes (i.e. click on the link, message pops up "you are being redirected", etc...) it wouldn't be an issue but, someone at hp in their infinite wisdom thinks the current page page of useless information is helpful in some sort of cryptic manner when the absolute glaring  truth is, "kickstand on a sherman tank", "screen door on a submarine", "boobs on a boar hog", "convertible top on an airplane", "chopsticks in a bowl of soup"...take your pick.

Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 11 of 24 (1,662 Views)

Well put Otis.

Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 12 of 24 (1,566 Views)

You're complaining about a google "feature" - why has google still these links in his storage (as many many other informations about us we don't know)
You should ask google!
They have links that no longer exists, HP only added a page with more informations.
Else you would see a simple 'Network Error'.

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 13 of 24 (1,551 Views)

OK so it boils down to this, IMHO, if HP had allowed the old links to remain accessible, then the Google issue would never have come up, and all of us who have saved links within ITRC for YEARS would still be able to use them.

Just think how much better the transition would have been.

Occasional Visitor
G.Kornacki
Message 14 of 24 (1,548 Views)

It's absurd.  I have a link saved that provided me with a solution for getting Data Protector on a Linux client to expand it's file system list when creating a new backup.  I've now been seraching for that solution for three days. 

It was a manual change to a file installed by Data Protector. 

This change was such a bad call. 

I too have saved links for years and have been bringing them up so I can review and keep a record of problems solved.  All gone now because HP decided to remove the links to all the articles/posts.  Crazy. 

Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 15 of 24 (1,546 Views)

It's really scary how many tech guys would loose their job if google would be shut down tomorrow ... 

Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 16 of 24 (1,542 Views)

I guess some of us just are not as intelligent as you Stephan.

Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 17 of 24 (1,539 Views)

[ Edited ]

Perhaps, perhaps not or perhaps a lot are even more intelligent then me but at least I can run my company with or without Google and I'm able to accept a change, learning something new without complaining in a way that makes perhaps feel you better for 5min but does not change anything.

Think about ;-)

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 18 of 24 (1,527 Views)

>I too have saved links for years

If you have the threadId you can still look them up on google.  Unfortunately since they are all expired from the cache, you'll then need to do another search with the title from the first.

Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 19 of 24 (1,524 Views)

I have thought about it quite a bit actually, and I am quite accepting of change, when it is for the better. If it is not for the better, I am not going to sit idly by and say nothing, if the emperor has no clothes then I am going to speak up and say so.

Oh, and you may want to be more careful when you accuse someone of not being accepting of change, when you clearly have not accepted the new "Spell Check" feature.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 20 of 24 (1,520 Views)

[ Edited ]

>when you clearly have not accepted the new "Spell Check" feature.

That's simple enough to fix.  :-)

Are you sure he didn't do this on purpose just to: use the new Edit Reply feature and then Spell Check.

(Unfortunately the EBC Rich Text editor doesn't let my firefox spell check (as I type) work.  )-:

Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 21 of 24 (1,501 Views)

I apologize for not using the spell check and making one mistake which hurt you so hard that it was needed to mention. Perhaps you want to argue in my natural language?

I like to end this with some quotes from an anonymous poster.

"How to flame: If you run out of arguments get personal, if that does not help flame on spelling or grammar... "

"Never argue with an idiot, he will put you down on his level and beat you with experience"

or perhaps better known "don't feed the trolls".

Anyway have a great day,

Stephan

Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 22 of 24 (1,472 Views)

And what makes your "Google" comment or your comment about "not accepting change" not a personal attack?

Seems you like to dish it out but you cannot take it.

Hypocrite!

Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 23 of 24 (1,461 Views)

[ Edited ]
CCC-Monitor
Message 24 of 24 (1,436 Views)

Stephan. I am not quite sure what "Getroffene Hunde bellen" means and I am not sure I want to even get involved here but here I go.

One of the things I appreciate about this forum has been the professionalism, when someone like myself who may not be the most experienced person, interacts I am not made to feel inferior or face an insult. On other forums I have seen this many times, if your are a "newbie" you get ignored or insulted. Here I haven't encountered this type of behavior. So seeing the thread surprises me. So here are my comments to Stephan. and Tom Smith.

<soapbox>

Stephan. - your comment about using Google was a little condescending. Google is a great tool why not use it.

Tom Smith - Don't feed the condescending comment, it only escalates. Leave it alone.

</soapbox>

OK now why don't you both shake hands.

Happy Posting!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.