Re: Feedback on new site (2255 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Brian Phipps
Message 1 of 111 (2,509 Views)

Feedback on new site

It's painfully slow and I can't find documents that google can locate.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Aissa
Message 2 of 111 (2,504 Views)

Re: Feedback on new site

Same,

Like spock and now ITRC, why HP is transforming easy and working things to things that nobody can use ..............

I think only the guy who develop that can work with it !!!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Karma nothing else
Message 3 of 111 (2,499 Views)

I am looking for information, which was easily found with those pages before, e.g..::

site:forums11.itrc.hp.com data protector Please add some new disk space to this library

2 hits

On this new pages, I am struggling. Nothing to find ;-(

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brian Phipps
Message 4 of 111 (2,490 Views)

I'm having to resort to pages cached by google, because I can't locate the document on this site.

Another succesful upgrade !!!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
2r_arne
Message 5 of 111 (2,489 Views)

Who got some jerk headed web designer into this old and well functioning Technical forum...????

Just a lot of extra crap which slow down the sharing of knowledge.

This is purely made for marketing and sales so that more commercials can steal space of the screen and make it more confusing to find what you really search for.

The value for HP have been that the Community contributes with knowledge and as such strengthen their market position. Suddenly some Public Relation guys have got their hands into this which previously was a genuine initiative from the masses - and wrapped it into their marketing :(

GOOD TECHNICAL ADVISE DO NOT NEED MARKETING !!!!

The rumours about ITRC as a splendid place of getting help have been sufficient for decades.

This is simply screwing up the site.

Do you really think that life is getting easier with graphical smileys ?

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Stephan_
Message 6 of 111 (2,480 Views)

Karma nothing else wrote:

I am looking for information, which was easily found with those pages before, e.g..::

site:forums11.itrc.hp.com data protector Please add some new disk space to this library

2 hits

On this new pages, I am struggling. Nothing to find ;-(

Try to give it a chance and don't compare apple and oranges.

You use the advanced search on google with the site: keyword - this would be here switching to the forum you want to search (in your case Data Protector), then enter your search phrase as a phrase in the top right box using " " and here we go:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3Aitrc-251...

2 Hits

Are these the one you were looking for?

We all just need to learn a little bit  and accept some changes.

hth

Stephan

How to assign points on this new forums --> Kudos - what, where, how, and why!
How to find the right forum --> New forum location by ITRC tree

"we wouldn't call it code, if we could read it ..."
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mohamed Amine
Message 7 of 111 (2,470 Views)

How about old links for which I forgot the keywords. I received a link yesterday, it's not working now : how can I get the new link ?
Google + ITRC was a wonderful combination. Now the whole job has to be done again.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Stephan_
Message 8 of 111 (2,464 Views)

Hi Mohamed,

perhaps we can try it together if you share the link and the topic what should be behind.

I will be happy to give give it a try.

Best,

Stephan

How to assign points on this new forums --> Kudos - what, where, how, and why!
How to find the right forum --> New forum location by ITRC tree

"we wouldn't call it code, if we could read it ..."
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 9 of 111 (2,455 Views)

Hi:

Drop the glitzy, animated icons!  I won't linger long on a post or a site that is supposed to be dedicated to professional discourse but is littered with animation, and marketing.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 10 of 111 (2,385 Views)

My first usage confirms what the sneak previews suggested.

Mostly mediocre management pleasing nonsense.

WAY too much whitespace, WAY too little meat on on any given page.

Folks, It is about the CONTENT not about the window dressing.

Way too much scrolling down and back over to get to the meat.

Can we PLEASE start with getting rid of the 645x136 pixel 'Join the Conversation' nonsense?

With the trimming that seems to take half the page on a (nowadays sadly common) 1366x768 laptop screen.

How is that helping anyone?

The only button I need is the 'View All' in the "RECENT TOPICS", but that's at the very bottom.

And once you pick a topic the 'next' will stay in the category for the topic, not in the 'view all' list :-(.

Maybe it is just me, but I am category agnostic, even OS agnostics to some extent.

Once I am in 'HPUX' I want to see all new HPUX no matter what flavor.

Once I put my OpenVMS hat back on, I want to see all its topics. 

The 'view all' comes close to that, but it does not 'stick'. :-(.

Also to be removed, the the near-empty repeat category line.

The final category is on the navigation line already. We can read.

Solved posted are very interesting... but only at the end of a specific search IMHO.

In general the 'Solved' post should be WAY down at the bottom, if it has value at all.

It is utterly useless on the 'Community Home' and next level down.

At those levels thinks are way to wide/broad to expect any entry in 'solved' to be of interested to a random passer by. But I'm sure it pleases the managers that paid the designers.

Cheers,

Hein

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 11 of 111 (2,272 Views)

I have to say I agree with most of the comments above. The ITRC forums was one of the best forums I have used, this was due mainly to its ease of use and a no nonsense framework. I could care less about fancy emoticons and avatars and the rest of the marketing BS.

Are you listening HP?

Dump the glitz and glitter and bring back the old simpler forum.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
owenwu
Message 12 of 111 (2,280 Views)

slow, confusion, where is itrc.hp.com?

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 13 of 111 (2,272 Views)

[ Edited ]

I appreciate that not everyone finds avatars and emoticons interesting/useful - but they're both a part of this community platform, and I guess my best suggestion would be "if you don't want/need them, don't use them".

But if we were to simply "go back" to the old ITRC forums platform, you would lose not only avatars and emoticons, but:

• Enhanced posting capabilities, including:
  1. Better formatting options, using the "insert code", "paste from Word", bolding, underlining, bullets, numbered lists, insert images, etc.
  2. Built in spell-check
  3. Macros for often repeated content (click a button instead of typing in the same thing over and over)
  4. A preview feature that doesn't lose your content if you want to back up and make changes (unless you remembered to copy/paste it)
  5. Quote a previous reply
  • RSS notifications at a category, board, or topic level (in addition to email based subscriptions)
  • A more stable platform that won't render the forums incorrectly or not send out email subscriptions every other week
  • Private messages between users (without having to expose email addresses)
  • Community-wide messaging features
  • One single sign-on (HP Passport) that's now useful across almost all of hp.com (rather than having multiple sign-ons for different forums, one for support contracts, etc.)
  • A platform where we can make on-going updates/changes and add new features (some pretty exciting stuff coming in the coming weeks and months that I wish I could say more about, but you'll have to stay tuned) - this was not possible with the ITRC forums.

If you still feel like you've lost more than you gained, I guess I'm not likely to change your opinion - but for everyone who can adjust to the transition and hang in there, I don't think you're going to be disappointed.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 14 of 111 (2,279 Views)

owenwu wrote:

slow, confusion, where is itrc.hp.com?

The ITRC has been replaced by the new HP Support Center

- please see this "getting started" area of the help page: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PUBLIC_SPF_GLOBAL_HELP/?ac.admitted=130945285842...

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 15 of 111 (2,255 Views)

>> One single sign-on (HP Passport)

Not for me. Please explain how I can sign in once and for all.
I am now facing multiple sign-ons per day albeit to 1 place
Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.
I don't think I will bother to hit 'Kudo' often if I have to login, no matter how simple my Chrome browser makes that.
fwiw,
Hein
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 16 of 111 (2,249 Views)

Hein van den Heuvel wrote:

Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.

New hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity - but I will submit your feedback to the appropriate team as a concern.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 17 of 111 (2,239 Views)

"New hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity "
Another gesture to appease clueless management.
How is it more secure _for HP_ to close 'my' session after an hour?
If there is security involved it is 'my' security at risk of someone using my credentials right, but that is my problem.
I would prefer no 'help' from HP with that, I can mind my own business and suggest HP does the same.
I personally find it more of a risk to log in frequently than to leave several open sessions well protected behind a lock screen in a locked office.
HP has no business trying to be the judge of that.
5 minutes unattended at an airport or coffee shop 'can you watch my stuff while I use the restroom' surely is more risky than a year long logged in from my desktop.
The 1 hour inactivity is not going to fix that.
In fact, what problem will it fix? Kindly explain.

Bah!
If Google/Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook, Yahoo and such can leave their users logged in with far more and far more personal data at risk then HP can assume that 'risk'. Again, as you submit th feedback, please aks them to explain to me what the risk is FOR HP, by having my session open for an hour versus 1 minute versus 1 week (or so).

Cheers,
Hein

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
TomSmith
Message 18 of 111 (2,230 Views)

Kevin,

As far as what we have "lost" and "gained", from my perspective, all of the gains have contributed to the loss. The old forums were a simple, professional, no-nonsense place to lookup and contribute techical information. All of the new features you mentioned are more noise than signal in my opinion. I suspect that most of the exciting new features you keep alluding to will most likely be more noise than signal as well.

This is just my opinion, which seems to be falling on mostly deaf ears. I want the simplicity and professionalism of the old site back. There had to be some way of upgrading without making this site look like Facebook or any of the other social network cesspools.

The ITRC forum was an important place to me, and many others. I used it on a daily basis and it had helped me do my job more effectively. I am sad to say HP missed this mark on what made the forums great.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Peter Marko
Message 19 of 111 (2,210 Views)

Hi Kevin, I'm wondering who asked for all those new features because based on the reactions here and also on ITRC as it was still running it's not as welcome as you probably hoped. With the introduction of private messaging you can expect (at least I do) some of the questions to bypass the main forums.
And something could be done with the forums thread list - on ITRC everything was focused on the thread subject, now the author column is wider than the subject one - I have noticed a change on that (wrapping, ...) but still it is being trucated.

My main worry is - as I already mentioned in other thread - that not all the posts from ITRC were migrated. I'm missing 2 threads I started and until now 3 threads I participated in.

BTW I don't know how and why I gained a "founder" ranking this night ... this just won't help to cease my dissapointment ;)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hphwstel
Message 20 of 111 (2,207 Views)

I for my part like the new site, superficially at least.

I have been using ITRC for quite some time and I found it plain compared to the possibilities of our time.

We will see, what this new design brings, it is still young, so I try to give it a chance.

The forum lives from qualified participants. If the ITRC community doesn't execpt it, it is dead as it was before (the forum has existed some time now and I never found anything of value here so I switched to ITRC again)

I just hope, HP understands that and takes the complaints seriously.

What I miss is:

- certain highly specialized categories like HPSIM, or Scripting

- drop down box for my products

I am still getting started, so this list is far from complete.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 21 of 111 (2,264 Views)

>Kevin_Paul: Built in spell-check

No, I had a firefox builtin spell check as I typed, now I don't have my dictionary at all.

>A preview feature that doesn't lose your content if you want to back up and make changes 

I had that too, mostly.

>Quote a previous reply

That's what cut&paste is for.

>Private messages between users 

Yes, that's handy.

>Hein: Whereas with the ITRC forum I could stay logged in for months.

Exactly.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Greybeard
Message 22 of 111 (2,254 Views)

19 years with HP, 3 years on a new account with a third party support company and now I don't want to support HP any more. This "revamp" sucks!  It is no longer a community, it's a corporate advertisment (and a bad one at that).

If I need FAQs and instructions then the design is fundamentaly flawed, sack the middle management drones who demanded it and the programmers who built it.

TomSmith
Message 23 of 111 (2,237 Views)

For paying HP customers, call your local support and sales reps and let them know the new "community" is a mess!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
mark stephens
Message 24 of 111 (2,229 Views)

Not happy Jan.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 25 of 111 (2,204 Views)

>> New hp.com security standards require an auto log-off @ 60 minutes of inactivity - but I will submit your feedback to the appropriate team as a concern.

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse....

'They' just made me change my password that I had for years!

WHY it is unique, and never compromised, and if it was not, then that would be MY problem, not HP's.

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse....

There are hard rules, and not just suggestions / hardness indicators, a

and 'they' tell me the rules on how to change the password AFTER my change.

Now I know that is 'the norm', but the norm sucks.

Race to the bottom!

At least they did not check for repeated answer on the security avoidance special questions list.

You see, the color of my hair is 'applepie', my dog is called 'applepie', my first grade teacher happened to be called 'applepie'  as was the my the place where I met my wife. Odd that, come to think of it.

Oops, now i told them, and they are going to 'fix' that also.

Hein

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation