HP NCU NFT reports Failed Rx Path (3558 Views)
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 1 of 17 (3,558 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP NCU NFT reports Failed Rx Path

I have a dl360 g3 with a NFT comprised of both HP NC7781 and NC7170 interfaces. It constantly reports this failed (Rx Path) error regardless of what cable, switch port, or server interface I have in the team. I've ruled out switch port, NIC, and cabling. Any ideas? I was thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling the NCU.
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 2 of 17 (3,558 Views)

Re: HP NCU NFT reports Failed Rx Path

Hey James,

Basically it means that the Port is not getting the hearbeat frame for some reason.

Whats the model of the switch?
Can you send me the switch config?

Updating the NCU will be a good idea, try version 9.10

Regards,
lmm
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 3 of 17 (3,558 Views)

I'm going to try upgrading the ncu this weekend. Our switches are hosted by another company so we can't get the configs. All ports on the switch are in the same VLAN and I've tried multiple ports and cables with no luck.
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 4 of 17 (3,558 Views)

After the update please send a network survey. From Command prompt, type as follows:

hpnetsvy >filename.txt

Rgds,
Lmm
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 5 of 17 (3,558 Views)

Okay, I changed out the cable, switchport, and removed/upgraded the NCU to 9.2. I ran diags on the interface that the NCU said was failing and all the tests passed without incident.
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 6 of 17 (3,558 Views)

I attached hpnetsvy output that I obtained from that server.
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 7 of 17 (3,558 Views)

So you still getting the Rx path failure?

Have you try to recreate the team?
Frequent Advisor
Lieven Verdonck
Message 8 of 17 (3,558 Views)

I also have the same problem (Rx Path Failure) on the NC7170 when I turn on NFT and activate the trunk on the switch (Nortel 5510). Anyone who can shed more light on this?
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 9 of 17 (3,558 Views)

Are you using Nortel Multilink Trunking? If so, then those 2 ports on the trunk should be conneceted directly to the server and then force the team to SLB, then you will get TX/RX on both channels, it could be also wrong cable, even a port.

rgds,
lmm
Frequent Advisor
Lieven Verdonck
Message 10 of 17 (3,558 Views)

Yes, I use Nortel Multilink trunking. The switch is a stack of three switches, I put each cable in a separate switch of the stack (for redundancy).

Is there any reason why I should/can not use NFT? It is sufficient for what I am trying to achieve and less trickier than SLB.

Thanks for your reply!
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 11 of 17 (3,555 Views)

You should be able to use NFT, thats the most basic teaming type, the only requirement will be have both ports under same broadcast domain, if you are getting RX paath validation it could be related with the stacking or vlan config on the switches, have you try to put that port to the same physical switch?
Frequent Advisor
Lieven Verdonck
Message 12 of 17 (3,555 Views)

No I have not tried to put the two cables in the same switch, i will try this.

Is it necessary to make a trunk on the nortelswitch if I want to activate NFT (or SLB) on the HP-tool on the server? If not, what is the advantage of making a trunk (better balancing, I presume)?
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 13 of 17 (3,555 Views)

No I have not tried to put the two cables in the same switch, i will try this.

Is it necessary to make a trunk on the nortelswitch if I want to activate NFT (or SLB) on the HP-tool on the server? If not, what is the advantage of making a trunk (better balancing, I presume)?

Basically NFT doesnt require any switch config nor intelligence, you can do it using a regular hub, with NFT you will get 1GB TX/RX and the other NIC will be standby, just waiting for NIC1 failure.

When using SLB, it will require the Nortel Trunking or Cisco Ethercahnnel, in this case you will get both NICs TX/RX, basically 2 GB load balancing and failover.

rgds.
lmm
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 14 of 17 (3,555 Views)

I'm still getting this error. We use Cisco 2950s at the access layer.
Frequent Advisor
Lieven Verdonck
Message 15 of 17 (3,555 Views)

My error has been fixed thanks to the suggestion of LMM (I use NFT without Trunks now).
Advisor
James Prendergast
Message 16 of 17 (3,555 Views)

We have the interfaces in an NFT team with each NIC connected to a separate switch. This way if a NIC or a switch fails we are okay.
Honored Contributor
Lmm_1
Message 17 of 17 (3,555 Views)

It looks like the same as I mentioned at the begining, the NIC is not getting the heartbeat, you need to make sure the port on each switch belong to the same broadcast domain and then make sure you got communication for tha VLAN switch to switch, then you must get the heartbeat frame.

rgds,
lmm
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.