Standard Output is Full on HP 5500dtn (387 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Greg Dover
Message 1 of 9 (387 Views)

Standard Output is Full on HP 5500dtn

We have an HP 5500dtn printer and we are receiving the following message when trying to print: "Standard Output is Full". When we clear the queue it flashes between this message and Ready. It started happening while trying to print a large Word doc which was about 19 pages and about 20 MB. It would make it to about 5.02 MB and then display this message and go offline. Now it just flashes the message. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 2 of 9 (387 Views)

Re: Standard Output is Full on HP 5500dtn

You need to clear buffer memory. Try resetting the printer.

A cold reset clears all data from the printer memory and sets all the defaults back to the factory settings.
CAUTION: Performing a cold reset resets the Jetdirect configuration. To avoid making changes to the network configuration, remove the HP Jetdirect print server before performing a cold reset.

NOTE: If possible, print a configuration page and menu map prior to performing a cold reset. This will document the current settings for later reference.
Turn the printer on.

Watch the control panel.

When the memory starts counting, press and hold the green (Select) button. Continue to hold Select button until all three Control Panel LED's are illuminated and on solid.

Release the (Select) button.

The control panel will display SELECT LANGUAGE.

Press (Down Arrow) button once. The control panel will display COLD RESET.

Press (Select). The printer will perform a cold reset and then continue its power-on sequence.

Learn. Share. Inspire.
Occasional Visitor
Greg Dover
Message 3 of 9 (387 Views)

Chandan, Thanks for the help. I followed your instructions, but I still have the "STANDARD OUTPUT FULL" message coming up. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
Corrine Jensen
Message 4 of 9 (387 Views)

I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix? Thank you!
Respected Contributor
Jesus-Perez
Message 5 of 9 (387 Views)

"Standard Output is Full", means: "Output tray is full".

If the printrer's output tray isn't full, maybe the output sensor or the actuator are damaged or dirty.

The sensor is in the left of the fuser unit in the CLJ 5550dn model, it is almost the same.
Occasional Visitor
Corrine Jensen
Message 6 of 9 (387 Views)

I would like to try cleaning it. Could you PLEASE be a little more clearer in where the actuator is? Thank you so much!
Respected Contributor
Jesus-Perez
Message 7 of 9 (387 Views)

Sorry, the actuator are the black plastic flaps in the output tray, they moves when the paper come out. Its fucntion is to tell the printer when the output tray is full.

How it do that? very simple: when there is much paper in the output tray, the shaft of the flaps rotate because the flaps are too up, this cause that the sensor (photo transistor at the left of the fuser unit) be activate by other flap at the edge of the shaft that interrupt the ligth path in the sensor.

Also check the conector of the sensor.

I'm looking for a image of the sensor to post it here.
Occasional Visitor
Corrine Jensen
Message 8 of 9 (387 Views)

Ok I think I found it. Unfortunatly I found it lying under the paper tray so I am sure that is not good. I don't think I can even begin to fix it but I really do appreciate your help. Thank you SO much!
Respected Contributor
Jesus-Perez
Message 9 of 9 (387 Views)

Well... this is the best a can find. I hope it will be useful.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.