Mac OS 10.6.x and Lion with 2600n (1166 Views)
Collector
cashxx
Message 1 of 7 (1,166 Views)

Mac OS 10.6.x and Lion with 2600n

Ever since the HP 2.5.2 drivers came out for OS X when I print I get a dark haze over graphics.  I reverted drivers back in 10.6.x but unable to do that now with Lion.  The way HP did the older drivers, they don't work in Lion.

I have tried everything over the past few months and about 6 months ago was going back and fourth with Apple and we have it narrowed down to the latest firmware (20070716) and the drivers from 2.5.2 package onward.

Apple put in a bug report with HP and I have emailed them and still no fix.  This has been months maybe a year now.

Does anyone know where I can get the old firmware and is it possible to revert to the old firmware?  It would be nice to be able to use my printer again.  I hate to have to go buy another color laser printer just because of a driver issue.

I have looked through the HP ftp server and stuff is whacky on there, couldn't find the old firmware, found the new one that is now installed, but not the old one.  Windows 7 prints fine to the printer.   Am I the only one that updated to the latest firmware?  I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet.

Setup:

HP Color LaserJet 2600n

Firmware: 20070716

OS X 2.7 HP Package Drivers:   1.3.0.261 is the driver version

Attaching jpg.......where it is brownish block over the label that shouldn't be there.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
twives
Message 2 of 7 (979 Views)

Re: Mac OS 10.6.x and Lion with 2600n

I have conferred with some other employees to attempt to solve your problem. Uninstall your HP drivers, unplug your USB (wait for about 10 seconds just to be safe), and then plug your USB back in. You should get a prompt (assuming that you have installed the latest ASU (Apple Software Update). I would recommend that you make sure you have the latest ASU installed. Also, you may need to use it to update the drivers manually. We'll see. We hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Collector
cashxx
Message 3 of 7 (977 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have reformatted my hard drive and installed the Operating System and did the latest Apple Software Updates and still have the issue.  I believe this started with Snow Leopard, but its been an on going issue for so long I forget now.  Still happening with Lion with latest updates.

I have never used USB on the printer, its a network printer and been connecting that way to it from both Windows and OS X since I got the printer.

I can try what you are saying, but I already know its not going to work unless the drivers load differently when using USB?

Doing a format and reinstall of the OS and using the latest drivers tells me something is wrong with the HP drivers when using the latest firmware on the printer.  With Snow Leopard I was able to use the drivers on HP's website I think and install those and the printer worked fine.  Then Lion came out and the issue came to life again.  The drivers on the HP site don't work in Lion and the drivers HP provides Apple don't work either.  When the driver was working at one point it seemed to be the drivers after 1.3.0 that had the problems.

But I'm not sure how the drivers work?  There are items in /Library/Printers/HP and ppd drivers in /Library/Printers/PPDs    Something seems to be wrong with the PPD or something in the HP folder.  With a fresh reload of the OS and drivers thats what I think.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
twives
Message 4 of 7 (971 Views)

Just want you to know that we are looking for other possible solutions. Hope to be back to you soon.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
twives
Message 5 of 7 (967 Views)

OK. I am not an Apple expert, but I got some help from one here.

The driver install isn’t different when using USB – just the way in which it is initiated…

Please do this (since the printer and Mac are already on the same network):

1.    Click the Apple, System Preferences, Print & Scan
2.    Click the “+” to add a printer
3.    Find the listing for his printer with Bonjour as the connection type.
4.    Click to select that printer.
a.    The ‘Print Using:’ box should load momentarily with his printer model, and a note beneath that box stating something to the effect that there are drivers available, click add to download the drivers and add this printer.
5.    Click Add.
a.    The drivers will download, and a queue will (should) be created.
6.    Check the printer queue to see that the printer has been added successfully.

From the information you've provided, if you do a fresh install, and did the apple updates without first creating a print queue, then apple update only updates your OS and Apple software. The way it works is, If there is a print queue, Apple will check to see if the latest HP Driver Bundle has been installed, and offer it though ASU if it has not. If there is no print queue though, then this update will never show up to be downloaded.

As you can tell from the hp.com site, there are no firmware updates, or even previous version of firmware that you can download and revert to – so if the above doesn’t work, you might be out of luck, (aside from trying to use a different driver).

We hope this helps.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
Collector
cashxx
Message 6 of 7 (959 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have already done what you said.  I have tried literaly everything possible on my side.

I have tried downloading the HP Driver packages from Apple, I have tried letting OS X download and install the drivers when making the Print Queue as you guys listed, and tried just using Apple Software Update.

I can easily duplicate the issue, it doesn't happen all the time at first, but will usually crop up after a few prints. The printer prints fine with test pages from the printer itself and from Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I'm not the only one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3039371?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3039462?start=0&tstart=0

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-printing-and-scanning/2600n-10-6-6-gt-black-pages/td-p/563933

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Color-LaserJet-2600n-prints-black-over-all-ot...

Is it possible you guys can get me the driver package given to apple prior to version 2.5.2 I believe?

Please use plain text.
Collector
cashxx
Message 7 of 7 (956 Views)

Just tried removing all drivers and doing the USB way and it failed.   Tried the directions for using bonjour and same issue.  Still prints graphics with a dark haze over them.

Print from the printer or Windows and things are fine.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation