Hp 2550n Flashing amber light, No jam, No error code (33 Views)
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 1 of 18 (33 Views)

Hp 2550n Flashing amber light, No jam, No error code

I am working on a 2550n. The amber attention light is flashing. I have checked and there is no jam anywhere in the printer. There is no error code that I am aware of.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 18 (33 Views)

Re: Hp 2550n Flashing amber light, No jam, No error code

is it printing at all?can you do any test pages?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 3 of 18 (33 Views)

No, it will not print at all. I can't print a diagnostic page.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 4 of 18 (33 Views)

if the just the amber light is blinking , it usually indicates a jam.it could be a hardware thing.if a flag or sensor is stuck , it could be an issue.if you have the hp lj toolbox software on there , i believe it has a sensor diagnostic which can tell you where the problem is.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 5 of 18 (33 Views)

with this printer , if any other lights are blinking or doing anything , it can tell a lot.it uses a secondary message that often can tell whats wrong.depending if any other lights(other than amber) are on or blinking.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 6 of 18 (33 Views)

Where can I download the Toolbox software that might help me diagnose the problem?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 7 of 18 (33 Views)

check on the hp site , but as far as i understand, when you install the driver for the 2550n , it should already be on there.however, it is an extra that is installed with it.however , if you install a driver from the wizard(add printer wizard), it may not install the extras.i know that if you use the driver's setup.exe to install , it will.the setup.exe also allows for a custom install.you may be able to add it though.check with the hp site.toolbox is like a web browser toolbar.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
jean therrien
Message 8 of 18 (33 Views)

have you tryed to start the printer with the network cable removed, and checking the paper flag sensor is not stuck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 9 of 18 (33 Views)

I have tried restarting the printer with no network cable connected. No differnce.
As far as checking to see if the paper flag sensor is stuck, I haven't, because I don't know where it is.
I used the HP Web JetAdmin and I can see the printer but it shows a red cable on the illustration and says Device Comunication Error. See the atachment.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
jean therrien
Message 10 of 18 (33 Views)

take the paper tray out of the printer, tilt up the printer and look inside were the tray was. you will see a grey pickup roller, and to the right of that you should see a black plastic flag which should move freely.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 11 of 18 (33 Views)

I took out the tray and looked at the flag. It move very easily. The carousel will no turn when I press the carousel button nothing moves. The magenta light does start to flash along with the attention light. It getting more confusing.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 12 of 18 (33 Views)

if the magenta light is flashing , it may then be something with the magenta cartridge.you could try to take it out and reseat it.it may not be reading the cartridge chip properly.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 13 of 18 (33 Views)

i would try an engine test.it is a small switch in the upper left when you open the manual feed tray door.it bypasses the formatter and therefore control panel.this will at least show if the print engine is working.if it works it will print a page of evenly spaced lines.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
G Riviezzo
Message 14 of 18 (33 Views)

I tried the engine test switch and absolutley nothing happened. I had paper in both trays as I was not sure which one it would print from.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
FalknerTech
Message 15 of 18 (33 Views)

Having exactly the same issue and by the looks of the date of this post it started at about the exact same time..... I tried all the above mentioned before I found this post. Any further help would be appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 16 of 18 (33 Views)

the blinking amber light can be several things;from a paper jam to an improperly seated fuser to a top cover closed switch not activating or a tray sensor not detecting paper.if you suspect a jam and you can't tell where,i believe there is a sensor diagnostic option in the laserjet toolbox software that can tell you the state of the sensors.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
FalknerTech
Message 17 of 18 (33 Views)

Well, we ripped the printer down to its components and found 6 small .3" x 2" address labels stuck to one of the sensors in the bottom of the printer. Couldnt' see them until we pulled everything apart. Apparently the office staff were running mailing lists on Friday. Go figure....
Thanks anyway.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mkgraphics
Message 18 of 18 (33 Views)

I had the same problem, but was able to fix it!
First you have to remove the covers which is very easy,remove the screw's in the handle slots, one on each side at bottom. just be careful with the tabs. Remove drum unit. Once top cover is removed you can manually move carousel. On the right hand side were the lid hinges are looking at the printer from the front, look into the hinge hole just under the white piece of plastic block and look for the selinoid switch it looks like its upside down. It's a silver metal lever that needs to be lifted up with a straighten paper clip with a small 90 degree bend at the end. Insert under silver metal piece and lift up as you turn the carousel by hand either way. My problem was a cyan toner cart door was out of place and was keeping the carousel from rotating. Hope this helps you out. Because I couldn't find out how to do this easily without reading posts all day long. Good Luck!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation