HP Color LaserJet 5500dn with Windows 7 64 (11090 Views)
Visitor
DiamondTech
Message 1 of 7 (11,090 Views)

HP Color LaserJet 5500dn with Windows 7 64

[ Edited ]

All my users on Windows 7 64 have an issue printing multiple copies to HP 5500dn printers.

They are running Windows 7 64 Pro. Adobe Acrobat, Office and AutoCAD at least have this issue.

Currently using the HP 5500 PCL5 driver, the PCL6 driver has additional problems.

Network-Ethernet attached, printer is directly accessed.

When a users prints more than 1 copy of a document (any size 1 page on up). The printer prints the first copy fine, but then errors on the second copy. For instance I just printed a 11x17 document from acrobat, selected 2 copies, first printed fine, then I got a page with the following:

hp color LaserJet 5500 printers page.

job storage status page

Error:          Unable to store job at printer

Reason:    Printer not configured to collate

Solution:    Install an EIO hard disk.

All of the windows XP Pro 32 are fine and can print the same documents and multiple copies, without any errors, or messages.

Is there some configuration item I may have missed in the driver?

Thanks

Tom Ryan

Please use plain text.
Visitor
DiamondTech
Message 2 of 7 (11,088 Views)

Re: HP Color LaserJet 5500dn with Windows 7 64

Additional notes,

The PCL6 driver will print multiple copies of 8.5x11, but will not print any 11x17.  Try to print using the PCL6 driver resultins in an error page with the following message:

PCL XL error

Subsystem:  KERNEL

Error:              IllegalOperatorSequence

Operator:       SetNeutralAxis

Position:        3

No sure what this means, and have not found anythign via google.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 3 of 7 (11,077 Views)

For the 'multiple copy' problem. I think that you have to disable 'Mopying' ('multiple copying'?) in the driver properties; exactly where will depend on the Operating System and printer driver versions.

As for the PCL XL error: if this is consistent (i.e. exactly the same error is reported each time an attempt is made to print the same document, to the same printer, using the same printer driver), it almost certainly indicates a driver fault - in which case the only solution may be an updated driver.

If the error IS consistent (i.e. repeatable at will), print a small (sanitised data) test document, but choose the 'print to file' option in the Print dialogue.

Then post the resultant .PRN file here for analysis (to attach it, you'll probably have to disguise it with an extra .TXT extension: e.g. rename 'mytest.prn' as 'mytest.prn.txt').

Analysis MAY show more information which could perhaps assist in working out a circumvention, although there is only a small chance of this; but at least it may provide you with some evidence to present to HP if you raise a 'bug report' with them.

If you want to do your own analysis, use the 'PRN File Analyse' tool in the (free) 'PCL Paraphernalia' application; this is a Windows .NET application, which you can download via the Downloads page of http://www.pclparaphernalia.eu

Please use plain text.
Visitor
DiamondTech
Message 4 of 7 (11,062 Views)

Thanks for the help!!!  You helped solve a problem we had been going round and round with for a while. On one of hte systems I got so far as turning off the hard drive, but did not realize I also needed the mopier item turned off. Never had this turned on surprised that this default changed from off to on.

ok, here is the second one,  with the output file. I just did a plain notepad docuement that had 2 lines of text, and got the message when I printed it to 11x17 using the PCL6 driver. So it should be nice and short and easy to investigate.

Thanks again for the great help. Much better than the HP phone support.

Tom

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 5 of 7 (11,050 Views)

[ Edited ]

The printer is telling you exactly what is wrong with the incoming print stream (the Operator 'SetNeutralAxis' is in an unexpected position (IllegalOperatorSequence)), albeit in terms which are only meaningful if you know the structure of the PCL XL Page Description Language.

In more detail, referring to the attached analysis of your win7-64bit-pcl6-driver.prn captured priint stream file:

(a) PCL XL 'Operators' are each (usually) preceded by an 'Attribute List', which consists of one or more pairs of 'DataType' and 'Attribute' values.

(b) At displacement (offset) 1267 is the start of an Attribute List, which appears to consist of five Attributes.

(c) The last three Attributes (for 'TextObjects', 'RasterObjects' and 'VectorObjects') can be associated with several Operators, but in this context they are likely to be Attributes of the 'SetNeutralAxis' Operator (at offset 1287).

(d) But the first two Attributes (for 'Orientation' and 'MediaSource') are associated with the 'BeginPage' Operator, which is not present!

(e) Hence the error raised by the printer.

(f) If the missing 'BeginPage' Operator were present, I would also expect to see a 'MediaSize' Attribute.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 6 of 7 (11,049 Views)

[ Edited ]

Attached is a modified version of your captured print stream, with the missing Attribute and Operator (as per my previous post) edited in; the file has been disguised with an extra .TXT extensioin to allow it to be attached in this forum.

Also attached is an analysis of this modifed print stream.

If you 'send' the contents of the modified print stream file to your target printer, it should (hopefully) print as you expect (provided that the printer supports Ledger size paper).

For example, to send file 'win7-64bit-pcl6-driver_x01.prn' to the printer with TCP/IP address '192.168.1.99', issue the following from a Windows command-prompt session:

lpr  -S 192.168.1.99  -P any win7-64bit-pcl6-driver_x01.prn

You could also use this mechanism to send the contents of your original captured file to the printer, to confirm that this generates the PCL XL error.

All that this does, of course, is to confirm that the driver is at fault, generating an invalid print stream; but with this evidence, you may be able to approach HP and raise a bug with them.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 7 of 7 (11,046 Views)

>> ... you may be able to approach HP and raise a bug with them ...

From the PJL and PCL XL comment text in the print stream, the driver may be one that is supplied and supported by Microsoft, rather than HP.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation