Re: HP 5550 "Insufficient Disk Space" (5024 Views)
Visitor
vailawhit
Message 1 of 6 (5,062 Views)

HP 5550 "Insufficient Disk Space"

I have an HP 5550 installed on our print server that has been working fine until today. Now, when a user tries to print multiple copies of a document, they get the following error:

Error: Unable to store job at printer

Reason: Insufficient disk space for this job

Solution: Delete some files from the disk before resending this job.

I know it's not actually out of space, since there's nothing in the queue or in job storage, and this error comes up even if you try to print two copies of a one-page text document...whereas printing one copy of a 50 page document works fine. And again, the error just started occuring today after being used for over a year with no problems.

I'm currently using the Universal Printing PCL6 driver. I have tried updating this driver, updating the firmware, and reinstalling the printer on the server, but none of that has worked. I'm running out of ideas, help!

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 6 (5,053 Views)

Re: HP 5550 "Insufficient Disk Space"

Make sure that Job Storage & Mopier Mode are set to "Disabled".  Also you can try disabling collating.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
vailawhit
Message 3 of 6 (5,048 Views)

Thanks for the reply. All of these things are disabled by default on all of our printers.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 6 (5,038 Views)

Not on the printer but in the driver.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
vailawhit
Message 5 of 6 (5,035 Views)

Yes, all of these things are disabled, and users don't have access to change this. I double checked on the user's computer, her printer settings are correct, Job Storage is disabled and Collate is disabled, and again she doesn't have access to change any of these settings anyway. And again, we use the Universal PCL6 driver on all of our printers, and nothing has been changed in the couple months I've been working here, and this issue only came up a few days ago.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
ApolloXIII
Message 6 of 6 (5,024 Views)

I'm guessing your CLJ 5550 does not  have a hard disk installed.   Here is what I suspect is happening. 

When you set up the print queue on the print server, the driver queried the printer and determined that the printer had sufficient memory for a RAM disk, and therefore Mopier Mode was enabled.     You can verify this by opening the printer properties and checking the device settings tab.   On the Device Settings tab you should see  a long list of things like input / output trays, memory, and Mopier Mode.    If my suspicison is correct, Mopier Mode is set to Enabled on your print server.  

When Mopier Mode is enabled, the printer temporarily stores the "laser ready" information on the RAM disk and then resends that information as many times as necessary to print the number of copies requested.     This is only done for multi-copy jobs, which explains why you don't see this behavior on single copy print jobs. 

If this "laser ready" information exceeds the storage capacity of the RAM disk, you will get the "Unable to Store Job" message.    

To fix this, simply change Mopier Mode to disabled in the Device Settings tab of the Printer Properties.    With this option disabled, you will end up sending the job to the printer multiple times, but since the printer won't try to store the job you won't get the error.  

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation