HP 1220 color cartridge leaked into printer - how to clean? (38 Views)
Advisor
Carl Erhorn
Message 1 of 4 (38 Views)

HP 1220 color cartridge leaked into printer - how to clean?

I recently purchased what appears to have been a defective tri-color cartridge (HP c6578A). The first warning I had was that the yellow color appeared to have emptied first, which is _very_ unusual for me (usually blue goes first).

On replaceing the cart with a new one, printing returned to normal, but I noticed that there was puddled ink inside the printer. It appears to have leaked out of the cartridge and dripped down onto the plastic parts under the print head carriage. Most of the ink is where the print head rests when it's not in use.

First, how do I clean this mess up?

Second, is this a normal problem? Does it happen often? I've only been through about 4 cartridges on this printer, as the majority of my printing is black & white. But 1 in four as a failure rate is pretty awful.

Has anyone else seen this problem, and what did you do about it?

--Carl
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Ivan Donchev
Message 2 of 4 (38 Views)

Re: HP 1220 color cartridge leaked into printer - how to clean?

It is definitely not a common problem, but it happens sometimes. The HP insist on the idea that using original consumables provides not only high quality, but keeps you far from exactly that type of troubles.
So, it is a matter of honor to the HP Dealer who sold you the cartridge to clean up the mess for you even if your printer is out of warranty. If the above politics are inapplicable in your area - then a soft cotton cloth will do a good job.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kimberly Ann
Message 3 of 4 (38 Views)

Hi Carl,

If you don't have luck going through the retailer you bought the cartridge from, I would contact Customer Support at (208) 323-2551 to discuss this with a technical support agent.

Good luck!

Kathy
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Carl Erhorn
Message 4 of 4 (38 Views)

Kathy and Ivan,

Thanks to both of you for the information. I had no clue how to proceed on something like this, because as you say, this is something unusual.

I did speak with an HP agent, and they want to look at the defective cart, which I did keep, so they are sending out a mailer to me, to return the cart to them.

Ivan, they also confirmed that you are quite right - a damp cotton swab is what they recommend to remove the puddled ink. Since the inks are water-soluble, a little water should let me remove the old ink, and a swab is a good delivery system. It should prevent any dripping into the printer, because very little water is involved.

It turns out there is a print-head docking mechanism that comes up under the print head when it's in the resting position. I verified that that appears to be working correctly. If it wasn't, that could have been the cause of the problem. But it moves smoothly when you lift the printer's cover, and seems to fit completely under the print heads when they are at rest, so I don't think it's a mechanical problem.

I will follow up with HP, as they have issued a case number. Once I have cleaned up the old ink, I will watch carefully for any new spills, which could indicate a continuing problem with the docking mechanism.

So again, my sincere thanks to you both. You've put me on the right path to getting this resolved, and may have saved me the cost of a repair down the road, if it turns out to be more than a leaking cart.

Regards,
--Carl
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation