Can't install HP 5740 Deskjet printer (49 Views)
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 1 of 20 (49 Views)

Can't install HP 5740 Deskjet printer

Hi. As the title says, I can't install my printer.

The setup goes fine until it asks me to plug in the printer. I do that and the Windows (I'm on XP) dialog box pops up and tries to install it. However, it always fails. It says something like "An error occurred during installation. The specified port is unknown."

I have tried everything it seems and it still won't work.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
harlemnocturn
Message 2 of 20 (49 Views)

Re: Can't install HP 5740 Deskjet printer

Chad: I have the Deskjet 5550. Previously I had the k60 all in one. With the latter my unit could not be connected to the printer during the driver installation, or else the software would become corrupted. With the Deskjet, it had to be connected during installation. So, when you say "plug in the printer" do you mean to the computer or to the wall? Anyway, try it both ways.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 3 of 20 (49 Views)

Hi Chad,

It's important that you specify which port you are willing to utilise (USB or Parallel).

The other question is: do you plan utilising XP bank of drivers or the install CD probably shipped with the printer. In the later case I'd recommand the driver and software CD shipped with the printer.

As a matter of fact, I've also noticed that some printers (also some modems) are not installing "as of the manual". So you may be wishing to consider either or both tips sugested below.

1-Install the driver prior to the utility software.
2-Switch on the printer prior to restarting the computer. When Windows "finds" a new device, take control over install shield manually. Drive the programme to the CD and the file containing the driver you are targeting. Once done, restart again and check into the devices manager that the printer is correctly identified.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 4 of 20 (49 Views)

Sorry. I am attempting to hook it up via USB cable. And when I say "plug it in", I mean that I am plugging it into the USB port on my computer and the printer is already turned on.

Also, you recommended that I install the drivers first and the utility second. How would I do that?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 5 of 20 (49 Views)

Hi Chad,

First of all and if applicable, uninstall the driver that XP has loaded for your printer in order to avoid potential conflicts in the future.

1-Insert the Install CD of the printer. If the welcome page contains the option "read that CD" utilise this function. If not, interrupt autorun or close the welcome page.

2-Instead, get into the desktop and click over the CDROM (or activate the CDROM drive from Start\run). Now you can read the files contained in the CD. Probably, one of them is named "drivers". Open and browse that file for the driver corresponding to your OS and model of printer. Take notice of its position. Note: if you like, you can drag and drop that driver to your disk. As necessary, create a file named "my drivers" for that purpose.

3-Now, you have 2 options Automatic or Manual installation.
31-Automatic Installation is possible where the driver targeted is presented as an *.exe file. In that case, close Windows Install Shield (ref. to my previous thred, point 2). Once done, double click over that executable(either from the CD or from the copy on your disk), installaion should start straight out . Restart as prompted to do so and check in the devices manager that the printer is identified.
32-Manual installation is required where the driver just relates to an *.ini file. Conversely to the procedure above, utilise the browser of Windows Install Shield. Direct the programme to that *.ini file and confirm with OK. Installation should start. Note that Windows may or may not ask for its install CD for completion.

4-Once you are sure that the driver is installed, browse your CD again and select its utility software (if isolated) or run the general install programme (it will skip the driver already loaded anyway).

ADDITIONAL INPUT: Most of the time, Windows Install Shield can work straight from the "drivers" folder. If so, you don't need browsing down to any special *.ini file. Just browse to "drivers".

Alain.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 6 of 20 (49 Views)

Okay I went through all that and surprise, surprise... it didn't work.

At step 12 of the installation steps on HP's site it says the following:

Click "Browse" and go to the folder "c:\dj5700\5700\enu\drivers\Win2k_xp". A file, with a filename similar to "hpf5700k.inf", will be displayed. Select the file name and click "Open".

However, the Win2k_xp directory does not exist and that file does not exist either.

I've tried adding the printer manually but I can't choose a USB port as the desired port for the printer. All I can choose from are LPT ports and COM ports.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 7 of 20 (49 Views)

Hi Chad.

Just in case...You'll find an update and complete 5700_enu_win2k_XP.exe in the web-page below. (I cannot send it to you because it is 30MB big).
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=fr&lc=fr&os=228&product=357202&sw_lang=...〈=fr&cc=fr&softwareitem=dj-22380-1

This said, it seems that XP has been trying to find that file in its proper cabs whereas it is more probably in the CD shipped with your printer. Consider moving from C: to the letter allotted to the optical drive where you have inserted that CD. You could also utilise the option "diskette provided" and browse into the CD to the file targeted.

Allternatively, you may utilise the search function of XP (applied to the CD), then find and extract 5700_enu_win2k_XP.exe to the root of your HDD prior to proceeding to the installation.

Alain.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 8 of 20 (49 Views)

hpf5700k.inf doesn't even exist on the cd.

Nor does it exist in the downloaded you linked to.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 9 of 20 (49 Views)

OK, the page is written in French but the driver mentioned is the English language version.

It reads: "Pilote/logiciel d'imprimante HP Deskjet serie 5700 pour Windows 2000 et XP - Pilote version 10.4.0.0".

Means Driver/Software for Printers HP Deskjet 5700 series, compliant to W2K and XP. I guess this what you are looking for.

The download utility stands at Step 3 "How to get this software" (Etape 3 "Comment obtenir ce logiciel").

Two Options there:
a-Automatic Installation (Installez automatiquement).
b-Immediate download (Telechargement sur le champ). I'd recommand the latter option.

It clearly relates to:
"5700_enu_win2k_xp.exe 1/1 (30.18M)".

Of course, you could google by yourself (as I did) and find an English speaking site.

Cheers
Alain.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 10 of 20 (49 Views)

That made little sense to me.

So I should download that file and try to install from it? I've done that countless times and it never worked. It always fails at the same step mentioned in my first post.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 11 of 20 (49 Views)

Chad,

Have you tried installing the driver first, then the utility software once done? Personally, I'm utilising a Canon Printer connected to the parallel port and I know why.

Something just came to my mind. I forgot to ask which kind of port you are utilising...USB or Parallel? If your printer is USB only, it's worth trying other USB ports (back or front). Also, you may be whishing to get into the BIOS and see whether or not all USB controllers are enabled (Including legacy).

Alain.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 12 of 20 (49 Views)

My printer is USB only.

When I try to install just the drivers (following HP.com's instructions) I can't do it because the file it tells me to use does no exist.

All my USB ports work because whenever I plug the printer cable into one, the computer recognizes the printer.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 13 of 20 (49 Views)

I'm pretty sure I can't manually install the printer either. But I really don't know if I'm doing it correctly, though.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 14 of 20 (49 Views)

Well,

If the system claims for "5700_enu_win2k_xp.exe" why not download and copy it to the root of your C: drive?

I'm afraid I'm running out of brand new ideas. But, as a matter of fact, it's worth clearing all traces of any mis-led installation (including obsolete entries in the registry) prior to trying again.

Alain.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 15 of 20 (49 Views)

Even when I download it and extract it to the C drive, it does not work. HP.com asks for a file (something like hpzlntk.inf) which does not exist on the cd or the downloaded exe.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 16 of 20 (49 Views)

Okay, so no matter what I do, I always get the same error. "The specified port is unknown"
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 17 of 20 (49 Views)

Okay, I tried going into the control panel and then into the Printers and Faxes folder. I clicked "Add a printer" and followed the prompts. When I got to the screen that asked which port to use, I found that USB was not on the list. Is there any way to add it?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 18 of 20 (49 Views)

Hi Chad,

You are correct, the "add a printer" function doesn't specifically list USB Ports. This said, if you select "create a new port", a newer dialog box opens. If you inform that box with USB, you'll be driven to a full list of Manufacturers and Printers...Could do the trick.

Also note that USB to Parallel ports adapters exist...Just in case.

Alain.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chad_84
Message 19 of 20 (49 Views)

Do you have any idea how I would go about Adding a Port? Like, what information should I put in the window that pops up to get it to recognize the USB port?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 20 of 20 (49 Views)

Hi Chad,

If you inform the small window of the dialog box with the word USB and click next, a larger window will open. It displays Manufacturers on the left side and Printer models on the right side. I guess you should select the Manufacturer first then make your choice in the corresponding list of components.

That pannel looks much similar to Win98 "add components" utility (configuration pannel) I was still using in a recent past (I've been moving to XP 4 months ago). Therefore I believe that you'll be given the choice between XP drivers and those put to the CD shipped with your printer.

To be honnest, I'm much surprised that the installation be so complicate. Normally, XP should identify USB peripherals straight on. Therefore I'd suspect some wrong (HP-styled) settings in the BIOS. I's worth having a look at that, especially in the areas of "advance CMOS features" and/or "peripherals". With reference to the BIOS of my TARGA computer (non-HP) I can see there 2 interesting lines. Namely: USB (options = Disable; Enable all or a series of individual ports. Also USB Legacy with various Enable/Disable options for specific peripherals.

Alain.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation