Suppressing search result for new record? (367 Views)
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 1 of 14 (367 Views)

Suppressing search result for new record?

Some of our users were wondering if Trim could be configured to not display a search result showing each new record that is entered into the dataset.  I couldn't find a way to do this, does anybody know if the client can be configured this way?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 14 (348 Views)

Re: Suppressing search result for new record?

People have such odd requirements! There's no easy to way to do this. Only way to prevent in search results is either through default filters or security. So maybe make sure you finalize later and have filter exclude unfinalzed (or some other weird combination of similar ideas)?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 3 of 14 (333 Views)

Just to add to this.... you can define a search as "all and not registered:previous 30 days" (or something similar) and then save it (make sure the owner is not set so that everyone can see it). Then set your default search filter to include "within another saved search" and use the new saved search.  The push the setting to global, ensure your ensures get global, and don't let them bypass global.

And there you go.  Very weird and many ways to make this not very effective, but it's a shot.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 4 of 14 (326 Views)

[ Edited ]

I worry that would hinder normal use of the program, if they were trying to search for their own records.  It doesn't seem the search filter can be made as specific as "not show my records registered within the past 5 minutes."  I don't suppose that can be done then?

Without trying it, I wonder if filtering it out would actually cause an empty search results window to pop up after they enter the record?  It would make sense to me that Trim might do this, since it acts as if it's just performing a search for the record that was just entered.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 5 of 14 (279 Views)

I was asked about this again today and almost forgot I'd asked about it on the forum before, but did anybody have any other ideas about how to achieve this?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 6 of 14 (262 Views)

What an interesting request... may I ask what is the real world scenario that you want to apply this to? I'm genuinely interested.

Unfortunately, I cannot see a way to elegantly tailor TRIM to enable this 'feature' for your users...

Hopefully, another member might be able to offer you another avenue to look into...

Why have your organisation requested this? Maybe if we know the scenario a lightbulb moment might click on for a few of us...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 7 of 14 (246 Views)

A user was getting annoyed that Trim progressively got slower throughout the day as she entered many records into the dataset.  She came to find that after she closed all of the dozens of search result windows that had each opened for each record she had entered, it sped back up.  She can manually close all of these windows, but it is an extra step for her.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 8 of 14 (244 Views)

Have her user TRIM Desktop.  No multiple windows!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 9 of 14 (243 Views)

Is there a relatively complete list of functional differences between Trim and Trim Desktop available?  We never use the latter and I don't know if it would do all of the things she needs.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 10 of 14 (238 Views)

TRIM Desktop is a single window environment. Some of the tool options are removed. Only other real difference is that a double-click is edit instead of view (and that cannot be changed). Everything else remains the same.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 11 of 14 (234 Views)

OK, we'll give that a shot.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 12 of 14 (228 Views)

Mate, I would recommend TRIM/RM8 Desktop too - but, only after it has been tested for functionality fit within your working environment.

If for whatever reason, you do not go with Desktop, you can place a 'close all windows' button on her toolbar. She can click it once and viola, all her TRIM panes automagically closes for her.

Thank you for responding with the scenario by the way... it makes so much more sense to know what is actually happening... and it os easier for the community to provide real solutions.

All the best...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 13 of 14 (223 Views)

Thank you, I hadn't considered adding the WindowCloseAll function to a toolbar, she may find that convenient.

Unfortunately we've had some DBA turnover lately so we cannot build a Trim 8 test environment right now, let alone upgrading our production dataset.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
emTRIM
Message 14 of 14 (221 Views)

No worries... it sounds like the 'close all' button will be the quick fix solution for this user... you can tell her it took you hours to code that button onto her toolbar... you might even get a christmas pressie for your 'troubles'... ;)

I jest...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation