Re: RM8 multi-field search does not combine multiple terms with the AND operator in Indexed Words fi (587 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Dan02
Message 1 of 7 (692 Views)

RM8 multi-field search does not combine multiple terms with the AND operator in Indexed Words field

The RM8 help for the multi-field search editor says: "You can type several words into the Indexed Words field and they will be combined with an AND."

What actually happens is that multiple words in the indexed words field are interpreted as a search for consecutive indexed words. For example, searching for [invoice smith] will be interpreted as ["invoice smith"] instead of ["invoice" AND "smith"].

Which is incorrect, the multi-field search or the help file? If it's the search form is there a patch/update that fixes this?

Thanks,

Daniel

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 2 of 7 (656 Views)

Re: RM8 multi-field search does not combine multiple terms with the AND operator in Indexed Words fi

I wonder if what you're seeing is this issue:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Records-Manager-HP-TRIM-Forum/HPRM-8-0-Boolean-search-issue/m-p/6358...

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Occasional Contributor
Dan02
Message 3 of 7 (638 Views)

Re: RM8 multi-field search does not combine multiple terms with the AND operator in Indexed Words fi

[ Edited ]

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the problem discussed in that thread (though it seems similar and may just be a symptom of the same).

I don't have any problem with the behaviour of the search when using the Boolean or String search editors to enter the search [anyWord:expenses statement], i.e. the two search terms are joined using the AND operator as expected. It is only when using the Multi-Field search editor that the problem occurs.

For example, if I start a new search, select the Multi-Field editor and enter [expenses statement] in the Indexed Words field then perform the search, I can see that the search has been interpreted as [anyWord:"expenses statement"] and a document with the title "Statement of Expenses" will not be found.

Alternatively, if I start a new search, select the Boolean or String editors and enter the search [anyWord:expenses statement] it will be interpreted as [anyWord:expenses AND anyWord:statement] and the document "Statement of Expenses" will be found. So no problem there. But if I refine that search and just select the Multi-Field editor instead without retyping anything I get the same result as the first scenario.

So it seems to be another problem with the interpretation of implicit Boolean operators, different to the one described in the thread you linked to (which related to the interpretation of more than three words in Any Word/Title Word/Notes searches if I'm reading it correctly).

If this is a different problem, could you direct me to where I should go to lodge a change request?

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 4 of 7 (624 Views)

Leave it with me and I'll do a little testing. If I can replicate the behaviour I'll raise a request to have it fixed. Will post an update soon.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

Occasional Contributor
Dan02
Message 5 of 7 (613 Views)

Thanks Neil, really appreciate it.

I've been playing a bit more with RM8 and I've found more problems with the search that are very similar to what you described in the thread that you linked to in your first post. I've only played with Title Word searches (both Boolean and String editors) but RM8 doesn't seem to be combining 3 or more words with appropriate or even consistent operators.

Three word searches usually get interpreted as word1 AND (word2 OR word3), but four words or more seems to be a lucky dip. I can give specific examples but they get kind of lengthy and I can't spot any underlying pattern.

I'd like to know if you and others have been experiencing these more widespread searching issues?

Daniel

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 6 of 7 (599 Views)

FYI, I've registered 2 new internal cases for investigation. Note these are not CR's. If and when they become change requests I'll update this thread with the CR numbers:

QCIM2D50327:  Multi-field search editor - multiple words in 'Indexed Words' field incorrectly executed as a phrase

QCIM2D50332:  Multi-field search editor - Title bar of search results window incorrectly displaying "anyWord" regardless of fields chosen

Neil

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 7 of 7 (587 Views)

Neil Summers wrote:

"...QCIM2D50327:  Multi-field search editor - multiple words in 'Indexed Words' field incorrectly executed as a phrase"

RE: QCIM2D50327 - This one is being fixed as part of the changes in QCCR2D50217:  Title & Notes word searches - multiple word searches using wrong boolean operators

Neil

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.