07-21-2014 08:40 PM - edited 07-22-2014 06:26 PM
Any general feedback would be appreciated, however below are some components I'm particularly interested in.
Expectations - Advanced
- In which ways did the product live up to your expectations of improvement?
- Were there any parts of the product which didn't match your expectations?
- Was the comparison of licensing costs and modules made clear to you between your existing version and this version?
Expectations - User Experience
- Did you receive positive feedback about the product?
- What did users like?
- Were there any features that users didn't like?
- Was the upgrade process reasonably straight forward?
- Were there any "gotchas"?
- What TRIM Version did you upgrade from?
- If you integrate with any other systems, did the integration stability increase or decrease (generally)
Integration with Other Systems
- Did any integrations based on the COM SDK hold?
- Were there any issues with out of the box integrations (e.g. Outlook)
Reduction of Interfacing Third Party Applications
- Did you find that as a result of implementing this product you can potentially reduce the number of third party products you use to integrate with TRIM?
Feedback on the Web Client
- Do you like the Web Client?
- Has it improved since ~TRIM 7.34?
- What improvements do you notice?
General Stability & Resolution of Current Issues
- How do you rate the product/s thick client stablity?
- Were there any problems you were having with TRIM that have now been resolved as a result of implementing HPRM 8(+)?
What Impressed You?
- Are there any parts of the product that impressed you beyond your expectations?
Quality of Documentation
- How have you found the quality of the documentation provided by HP relating to this product?
- Is it of an improved calibre compared with prior TRIM documentation?
- Are there any omissions which required you to work closely with HP to resolve?
Business Process and Records Management Improvement
- Do you think the upgrade will improve the ease with which users can use this product?
- Are there any other components in the product which you think will improve your information governance, or records management compliance as compared with the prior versions of TRIM?
07-22-2014 03:03 PM - edited 07-22-2014 03:28 PM
In nutshell, we have upgraded both RM8.01 ( for Prod) and RM8.1 ( for a comparison If we upgrade to RM8.1). Our source was (7.1, 7.2.2, 7.3.2, 7.3.4) on windows 2008, Windows2012, Windows2012R2. Upgrade process is remarkably superb without a fail it brought the schema to latest version. (Once I had to run the Repair on the source prior to upgrade but still it was perfect).
Webclient even the WebClientClassic is lightweight and performance is better with improved security.
IDOL searching engine is improved and have more control for the Administrator e.g logs process configuration etc.
RM8.01 -added benefit is it still has same Menu structure for users to keep Change management at minimal.
RM8.1 - has new menu and more features on the Tab , those features are very rich in use however at present lack of clear documentation for those changes may impact user uptake.
(I personally think HPp should start writing a proper documentation of all new features with example usage and cases where to use etc. only helpfile is not engough. However, SharePoint integration docs are are thorough and detailed.)
Comparing with TRIM7.1 v 7.2 and base 7.3 I say HPRM 200% is better and works well. When I compare it with TRIM7.34 I say RM8.x has reduced features interms of integration with SharePoint. Somehow made complex in RM8.01 (though performance has been improved).
Office integration is better in RM8.x in gerneral some small teething issues in RM8.1 but you can ignore because the build I used was an evaluation build.
The most challenging parts of RM8 adoption were
- shall we upgrade to RM8.01 Or RM8.1 - Without knowing the roadmap of RM8.01 if there will be patches for Rm8.01 or all will be pushed to upgrade RM8.1x . That needs clarity from HP which I have not seen till todate.
Why we need to know? Because companies puts aside budget , resources and etc for upgrade, we can not just go and upgrade every month or 3 -6 months. You can image the challenge I faced to give direction was imense I could not sleep for many nights and finally we had to do the testing on both platformsRM8.01 and RM8.1 it was double effort. Finally we settled on RM8.01. Everyone who start planning an upgrade they first need to take the build and prepare the env, arrange testing etc. if amd when bugs are raised to solve those ot takes good 1 month at minimum. The question for us was, shall we wait for RM8.1 or carry on with RM8.01.... But hang on what is the future of RM8.01 ( no one knows) so we were back to the question one which release to upgrade.....
I personally think ( based on our case and implemntation foot print) RM8.01 was best suited and have successfully passed the testings. We will test the RM8.1 again at the next build because we found a problem in RM8.1where it has broken 'Related Records' you can try it yourself to create a related record Aleternative Contains and Alternatve Within. Close RM, open again and its gone. Defect is is been raised, this was one of the main criteria for us, we have loads of related records.
That was my point above that each implementstion is very different so Customer needs to evaluate based on their own criteria.
Overall impression of RM8.01 is very positive, RM8.1 also satisfactory and can be improved by seeing a documentation about new features in details and what each tab means etc.
Hope this help.
07-22-2014 03:03 PM
What a long list of questions.
Biggest challenge I've seen is with existing customers. With the product name change, look/feel change, and subtle terminology change, it's a big investment to move to 8.x. There are some features which make that investment worthwhile. Especially with 8.1 having just been released.
As far as the upgrade there are four big issues you need to consider:
- Webdrawer is now built on-top of the ServiceAPI. Any previous customizations will have to be re-done. Old URLS will have to be redirected to the new format.
- Saved Searches do not migrate. One site I worked with had over 2,000 saved searches. Fortuntely we used a migrate toolkit to get those to move over.
- Outlook Linked Folders. New product name = new linked folders. Migration toolkit was very handy.
- SDK Changes -- 8.1 requires all earlier COMSDK integrations to be recompiled, so plan accordingly.
07-22-2014 03:18 PM - edited 07-22-2014 03:30 PM
Just reread and fixed those, Thanks for highlighting.
07-26-2014 06:48 AM - edited 07-26-2014 04:14 PM
"Webclient or Webdrawer links -- problem here is now that each major version of the product has changed the core products and thus required some re-engineering within the spreadsheets. For instance 8.1 broken the ability to directly link to a document via the web client. Webdrawer has had some many URL changes you run into the same issue."
This would be major. I hope that's being considered a flaw rather than a feature.
The ability to link to documents would be one of the primary reasons for moving to HPRM8+ Web Client. This could have monumental effects in Production. I am so glad I read this prior to relying on this feature to integrate systems.
08-13-2014 09:43 PM
Can I asked what migrate tool u used to make these saved searches functional ...
and are you in RM8.1 Client and RM8.1 server
or RM8.1 Client and HP TRIM 7.3.4 server ?
08-27-2014 12:36 AM
I have noticed that the TRIMSDKPIA20.dll (COM SDK) is no longer installed as it was with the main install in V8.0 , or via an extra install component in V7.x.
Is this an intentional change, or are we missing something?
Our product works when we ship the v8.0 pia dll but will have to do some magic to remain compatible with V8 and v7 as the PIA 's appear incompatible
03-12-2015 05:02 PM
Hi EWillsey, could you please tell me what migration tool you used to export/import Saved Searches and Outlook Linked Folders? Many thanks.