Does Not Exist or is Unsuitable for this Purpose (437 Views)
Valued Contributor
RodgerDodger
Message 1 of 10 (437 Views)
Accepted Solution

Does Not Exist or is Unsuitable for this Purpose

We are using Trim 7.1.0.1157

We have a user who is getting the following error:

<Record Number Of Folder> "does not exist or is unsuitable for this purpose"     

The user is trying to create a record and enclose it in  a folder.

The folder exists.  The user has access to view metadata, view document, contribute contents to the folder.

Are we missing anything else?

Thanks.

RD

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 10 (431 Views)

Re: Does Not Exist or is Unsuitable for this Purpose

Does that user have at least the same security level and all caveats for the given container?  If so, is the container a box and the new record a document (this may be not suitable if you have a global setting enabled which forces documents into folders). 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RodgerDodger
Message 3 of 10 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]

User has all the necessary security.   The document is of a record type that can be enclosed.

Is his access controls inadequate?

RD

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 4 of 10 (412 Views)

Can the user search by record number and see it in the list of results?

Typically this error is because the security level and caveats do not match or they don't have view metadata and update metadata on the container. Or the folder is closed, or it's behavior is incorrect, or it's destroyed, etc.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RodgerDodger
Message 5 of 10 (406 Views)

[ Edited ]

Erik,

How can you tell if a folder is closed?  Also, I have added him to  update metadata.

Thanks.

RD

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 6 of 10 (400 Views)

Check if there is a value in the date closed field (right-click->Details->Dates)

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Strider_1
Message 7 of 10 (399 Views)

Check the owner locations - I can't remember if I've seen them affect this type of function but not member a member of the owner location of a file can cause security issues.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Treeboone
Message 8 of 10 (386 Views)

Please check the Container Levels of the Folder and the Document that your staff is trying to enclose. May be the Container Levels are the same and therefore enclosing a document will not be allowed. The rule is the Container Level of the document being enclosed must be lower than the Container Level of the file.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Treeboone
Message 9 of 10 (363 Views)

Sorry, please ignore my last post. I have since tried to replicate this problem and it would seen that you would only get this message when the file (container) does not exist. If you say that the file does exist then I am not sure why this is happening. In my testing I will get the said message only when I input an incorrect file number in the container field on the record entry form. Please find out if this was the method used if so then perhaps an incorrect file number has been entered. Otherwise, use the method of clicking on the KwikSelect button to open Desktop and perform a search for the required container.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RodgerDodger
Message 10 of 10 (339 Views)

[ Edited ]

We fixed the problem.  The user did not have access to the classification of the folder.  Because of that he could not contribute contents to that folder.

Now I know you have to check security, access, and classification.

Problem solved.

Thanks.

RD

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation