Re: Packaging office 2010 and removal of previous versions (168 Views)
Advisor
Eugann
Message 1 of 6 (210 Views)

Packaging office 2010 and removal of previous versions

Hi all currently we have office 2k10 being rolled out to our estate. the package is drop and run and removal of previous versions is being handled by negative policy. After doing some research I found the recommended way to deploy office is to use the package itself to remove all previous versions and not go the minus policy route. So what i was going to do was turn off verify on the previous office packages so radia does not try and repair whilst office 2k10 is being rolled out. Problem is - the rollout process will be slow and I envisage installations of office 2003 getting broken on some machines meantime and not repairing. Has anyone else had a similar scenario to this ? any tips appreciated

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Sandeep Bondada
Message 2 of 6 (203 Views)

Re: Packaging office 2010 and removal of previous versions

Hi,

What is the previous version of office in your environment and how it was packaged?

I am now rolling out office 2010 with negate policy of old versions and also office 2010 package itself removes all the old versions.

Regards,

Sandeep.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Eugann
Message 3 of 6 (195 Views)

HI Sandeep

We will be removing 2003. So how does it work - a machine that is due to get office 2010 will do a connect and then  try uninstalling 2003 via radia policy - once that removes (if it does-we have had issues) then the MSI installer for office 2010 handles removal too.  The issue we are having is that office 2003 may remove from the machine and then office 2010 wont install properly so the end user is left with no office at all.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Gowhar Jan
Message 4 of 6 (175 Views)

Hi Eugann,

Have you published Office 2003 and Office 2010 as two different services?

If yes, then you must use negative policy so that next Agent connect doesn't attempt re-installation of Office 2003.

In general, you should setup a QA and Pilot environment and see how it goes. In the QA environment you can find out how negative policy and Office 2010 installer work and if you're getting the desired results.

In Pilot environment, you may select few target machines in production environment and run the negative policy as well as Office 2010 installer service specifically on them and verify the behavior. If anything goes wrong you only have a few machines to repair.

Gowhar.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Eugann
Message 5 of 6 (171 Views)

Hi - yes office 2003 and 2010 are published as seperate zservices.

I was advised to handle the office 2010 install by switching off verify on the office 2003 package and not using negative policy at all but by just letting the office 2010 installer to handle the removal of all previous versions.

But from what you guys are saying this is not the way to go.

Thanks

Eugene

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Sandeep Bondada
Message 6 of 6 (168 Views)

Hi,

In your case I may suggest to remove ZVERIFY and ZDELETE of office 2003 and put ZUPDATE to _NONE_

and for apply negative policy.

So I a software connect, office 2003 tries to remove but since there is no Zdelete nothing happens and in the same connect office 2010 installs and the package itself can remove office 2003.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Sandeep.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation