Simple conversion rad to deg (1661 Views)
Frequent Advisor
davef
Message 1 of 11 (1,661 Views)
Accepted Solution

Simple conversion rad to deg

I operate in degree mode but occassionaly I have an angle measurement that I need to see in radians. Is there a fast way to convert without performing the math operation or going through all the CONVERT soft menus with units?

IOW, the calculated value of 46.3 degrees is now in the number 1 position in the stack. What is the fastest mens of viewing this value as radians?
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
VPN
Message 2 of 11 (1,661 Views)

Re: Simple conversion rad to deg

{ R->D D->R } MENU
creates CST variable at the current directory.
Your custom menu can be accessed at any time by pressing Left-Shift and MENU (CUSTOM).
You may have different CUSTOM menus in different directories. Experiment!
Frequent Advisor
davef
Message 3 of 11 (1,661 Views)

I'm sorry VPN but I'm not following you at all. What are you referring to when you write D->R? I assime degrees to radians but where is this? And I see a button but not a button.
Respected Contributor
stavpal __
Message 4 of 11 (1,661 Views)

CONVERT(46.3_o,1_r)

(with the o I meant degrees - it's not a O) (you can find it through char menu)
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
VPN
Message 5 of 11 (1,661 Views)

then you can use your menu key
Frequent Advisor
davef
Message 6 of 11 (1,661 Views)

Thank you stavpal for having the foresight to distinguish beween the degree sign and the lowercase 'o'. I would not have been able to proceed without it.

I do appreciate your help and was able to get this to work but what effort it took! I don't think anyone in his right mind would ever go to such trouble of typing commands into the keyboard and accessing a special chracter menu to do such a basic conversion.

I suppose the only practical solution is to just do the math myself every time. (divide by 180 and multiply by pi). Or perhaps I can write a function that I could call. I am just learning the HP50g but I assume it is possible to write and store such functions. But in the end I was hoping that _easy_ conversions would be built in to the calculator.

Thank you again for your help on this.
Frequent Advisor
davef
Message 7 of 11 (1,661 Views)

VPN:

Thank you for your help but I am still confused. I press and type "menu". Then I press and I get "Too few arguments".

Can you elaborate on your method?
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
VPN
Message 8 of 11 (1,661 Views)

My first post:

{ R->D D->R } MENU

Then whenever you press
you get access to it
Read the userâ s guide Chapter 20:
Customizing menus and keyboard
Valued Contributor
Juan Calle
Message 9 of 11 (1,661 Views)

The command that transform from degrees to radians is D->R, one solution to your problem is to assign this command to a key, to do this we use the command ASN, it takes two arguments the object to be assigned and a key code, for example if you want to assign it to the key (in the sixth row first column, so the code number for the assignment is 61) do this:
Get your calculator in RPN.
Press
Now you have << D->R >> in level 1:
Press
That is all it takes.
To check let's convert 12 deggees to radians:
Press
You should get:
1: .209439510239

I hope this helps, the fact that you can redefine the keys in the 50g is one of the features that I must like.
Regular Advisor
Alexis Dávalos Zuleta
Message 10 of 11 (1,661 Views)

Whit units in UNITS ANGLE you can write 1_º or 1_r is DEG and RAD, and then apply CONVERT
Frequent Advisor
davef
Message 11 of 11 (1,523 Views)

Thanks Juan for the useful information on key assignment.

I also came up with an alternative approach:

I created an equation (for example, to convert rads to degrees: x * 180/pi=deg) and then saved this as a variable. Then I can invoke the solver , choose my saved eqaution, specify an input variable, solve and the value is output to the stack.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.