Problem with number format (439 Views)
Occasional Contributor
vdh-xavier
Message 1 of 3 (439 Views)

Problem with number format

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the number format of my HP Prime Calculator.

I want to use the engineering number format, with 3 decimals for my outputs, but not for my inupts.

I think the pictures will explain my problem.

It's not very easy for me to explain this in English, but I'm going to try.

So when I write the input that you can see in the first picture, I want to have an output with 3 decimals.

But when I choose the engineering number format with 3 decimals in the settings, then the calculator also changes my input into a 3 decimals input.

I don't want that. I just want the output to have 3 decimals, but not the input.

Does someone how I can change that?

If I go into the settings and choose the engineering number format without decimal, then my input looks good, but the output not.

I also have another question.

Could someone tell me how I can change the place of the decimal point?

In my example I want to have 2,857E11 and not  285,724E9. I just want one number before the decimal point and then the rest after it.

Thank you for reading this and sorry for my English.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Xavier

Trusted Contributor
Joseph Horn
Message 2 of 3 (397 Views)

Re: Problem with number format

Hi, Xavier!

You wrote:

> I have a problem with the number format of my HP Prime Calculator.

> I want to use the engineering number format, with 3 decimals for my outputs, but not for my inupts.

> ... when I choose the engineering number format with 3 decimals in the settings,

> then the calculator also changes my input into a 3 decimals input.

> I don't want that. I just want the output to have 3 decimals, but not the input.

Good news and bad news.  The bad news is that the display setting controls the entire history display, both inputs and outputs.  There is currently no way to tell the inputs to be displayed exactly as they were typed.  Of course this might change in a future upgrade.

The good news is that the input values are not changed; only the way that they are displayed is changed.  So if you type in 12345,6789 + 9876,54321 and press Enter, it will be displayed (in the history, in Engineering 3 mode) as 12,35E3 + 9,877E3 = 22,22E3.  But if you tap the input (in the history) and press Enter, you'll see that the entire input was actually used, and if you tap the output and press Enter, you'll see that the entire result was actually returned.  So you don't need to worry that the input values were changed.  They were not.  It's just hard to SEE them in the history.

Currently the only way to see ALL the digits of EVERY input and output is to use either Standard display mode, or set the number of digits to 11.  Standard mode is nice because it doesn't show unnecessary trailing zeros.

> Could someone tell me how I can change the place of the decimal point?

> In my example I want to have 2,857E11 and not  285,724E9.

> I just want one number before the decimal point and then the rest after it.

It sounds like you want Scientific mode, not Engineering mode.  In Scientific mode, there is always one digit before the decimal point.  Engineering mode always shows the exponent as a multiple of 3, and adjusts the location of the decimal point accordingly.

Hope this helps!

-Joe-

-Joe-
Occasional Contributor
vdh-xavier
Message 3 of 3 (336 Views)

Re: Problem with number format

Hi Joe.

Thank you very much for your answer, it was very helpful.

Regards

Xavier

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.