Re: Issues writing equations with existing variables in Hp 50g (938 Views)
Advisor
JamesJames
Message 1 of 7 (1,174 Views)
Accepted Solution

Issues writing equations with existing variables in Hp 50g

Hello,

I'm studying for June's exams and I'm trying to write the long equations in my HP (Algebraic, std, degress, rectangular), but whenever I try to write a new one, if there is a variable with the same name, it displays its value and no the name I typed. I know it might sound confusing, but here is an example:

• I'm doing an exercise and I save the next equation: A=B+C (as an example).
  • I use it and I begin with a new exercise.
  • In this exercise I save the equation: B=C*E*R/T, but when I try to save it into a variable it changes the letters B & C for theirs values. So if I want to solve an equation with different B & C values I can't because they don't appear on the "Solve Equation".

I know I can purge all the variables before writing a new equation but it is a pain in the ass, is there a proper way to do it?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 2 of 7 (1,152 Views)

Re: Issues writing equations with existing variables in Hp 50g

[ Edited ]

Hi!, JamesJames:

In your first Equation, you can store it, in the HOME (VAR), as global variable with any name ... 'EQ' and press, STO.

You must see, in the SOLVE EQUATION ... with random any values for B and C and result of A

ABC_0.JPG 

Now, you needed create other equation, with the values, B and C ... 'B=C*E*R/T'

You can store it with the equal name of previous ('EQ' and STO), or with other name.

If select equal name, you must see ...

ABC_1.JPG Now, if you needed obtein the value of C ...

Complete the other values, moving plated arrows down, right or left, according to requirement.

p.e. : E= 2.5; R= 6 and T= 0.5

ABC_1.JPG 

Now, you needed go with the up plated arrow to C and press F6 (SOLVE). Then you must see, the result of C.

ABC_1.JPG

Note: If you needed erase any global variable, you can use ...

1: {the variable} PURGE

Example: If you decide PURGE all global variables ...

PURGE.JPG or ... PURGE.JPG

Only needed press F5 (PURGE).

See, the Learnin modules Using the Equation Writer, from ... http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/383680-0-0-225-121.html

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
pin224466
Message 3 of 7 (1,141 Views)

[ Edited ]

JamesJames wrote:

I'm studying for June's exams and I'm trying to write the long equations in my HP (Algebraic, std, degress, rectangular), but whenever I try to write a new one, if there is a variable with the same name, it displays its value and no the name I typed. I know it might sound confusing, but here is an example:

• I'm doing an exercise and I save the next equation: A=B+C (as an example).
  • I use it and I begin with a new exercise.
  • In this exercise I save the equation: B=C*E*R/T, but when I try to save it into a variable it changes the letters B & C for theirs values. So if I want to solve an equation with different B & C values I can't because they don't appear on the "Solve Equation".

You will not have to use purge with this method.

your first equation would be entered as:  (use either equation writer or the command line)

'A=B+C'

STO>'EQ1'

(for this example, when "solve equation" was executed for the equation A=B+C, a value of 8 was entered for 'B' and a value of 9 was entered for 'C' )

NOW THE IMPORTANT STEP....  (this step is not required when operating in RPN mode ... In RPN mode, just enter the equation using EQW or the commmand line as normally done)

when entering the second equation,  this can not be easily done using Equation Writer.

To easily solve the problem of entering the second equation and keeping the variables un-altered in the equation you must enter the equations on the command line.

start with a single quotation.... this tells the 50G that an equation will be entered

when entering the variables that have been previously used... put single quotations around those variables...

for example:

'  'B' = 'C' * E*R/T '

press ENTER

your screen should look like this::

Capture3.JPG

now

STO> 'EQ'

Capture5.JPG 

Enter "Solve Equation" and the variables used before are displayed with their values pre-populated... but all variable can be changed...

Capture.JPG

NOTE NOTE:: if you want to change equations in this window, just use the CHOOS key, select the other equation.... in this example it is called EQ1...(The CHOOS softkey selection is only available when the Equation is highlighted as shown in the above screen)

press CHOOS and see the following ::

Capture2.JPG

highlight EQ1 and press F6 (OK)

now the screen changes::

Capture3.JPG

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 4 of 7 (1,124 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, JamesJames:

This is, other metod, for SOLVE ...

Configure FLAG ...

03 Function -> num

Both equation's, are stored with 'EQ' name, but the program, you must stored with other name, p.e.: 'PRB'.

A0.JPG A1.JPG

Put each value of 'B' and 'C' and press F2 and F3; in F4 (EXPR=), you can obtein the result ...

Now, press F6 (NXEQ) and you can see, the other equation ...

A2.JPG 

Only needed put the values in only, R and T and press ... F6 (EXPR=) 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JamesJames
Message 5 of 7 (1,035 Views)

Thank you both, both answers have been very helpful. I don't know if I should start a new thread but... here I go: I'm trying to write gif.latex.gif  in the Equation Writer as a variable but I can't, it appears as gif.latex.gif.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
pin224466
Message 6 of 7 (1,011 Views)

[ Edited ]

JamesJames wrote:

I don't know if I should start a new thread but... here I go: I'm trying to write gif.latex.gif  in the Equation Writer as a variable but I can't, it appears as gif.latex.gif.

yes, for the benefit of all future forum users, next time, please start a new thread.   It makes it easier for future users to search by topic.

The referenced variable you are describing is not entered into the 50G as a "subscripted" variable.

These variable types are entered as an array variable.

This is the correct process for Algebraic or RPN mode:

So in equation writer, enter the variable in question as follows:

RIGHT SHIFT

EQW (the single quotation key)

ALPHA

G

LEFT SHIFT

( )   @the "subtraction" key

ALPHA

i

+

ENTER

STO>EQ22

NOTE that the variable "G" is an considered by the 50G as an array of numbers.

NOTE NOTE:: for Algebraic users only,  if the variable "i" has already been created and stored, the variable G(i+1) must be created on the command line using single quotations as was shown earlier in this post.

Using MTRW  (the matrix writer) you can create the vector (array) as follows

LEFT SHIFT

MTRW  (the single quotation key)

enter some numbers as shown::

Capture.JPG

STO>'G'

now store a value for variable for "i"  ... for this example, the number 2

now EVAL EQ22 ...

since i=2, this should return G(3) = 3

EVAL

softkey for EQ22

ENTER

result:   3

Capture2.JPG

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
pin224466
Message 7 of 7 (938 Views)

[ Edited ]

pin224466 wrote:

To easily solve the problem of entering the second equation and keeping the variables un-altered in the equation you must enter the equations on the command line.

The equation writer can be used in Algebraic mode to enter formulas and keep the variable un-altered.  However, it requires an extra step when using it.

This method will allow easy entry of more complicated functions when variables are used in multiple equations....

using your original example, one equation is entered as 'A=B+C'  and "solve equation" has been execute.

now enter a second equation this time using Equation Writer

RIGHT SHIFT
EQW

now enter the equation B=C*sin(E)*R /sqrt T     as shown:

Capture.JPG

now press ENTER   only 1 time !

The display should look like the following

Capture5.JPG

now use the LEFT ARROW key to navigate the cursor to the left side of the variable "B"

Press the single quotation key.

since this will automatically enter qty 2 single quotations, on of the single quotation must be deleted using the backspace key

now use the RIGHT ARROW key to navigate the cursor to the right side of the variable "B"

Press the single quotation key.

since this will automatically enter qty 2 single quotations, on of the single quotation must be deleted using the backspace key

repeat the process and put single quotations around the variable "C"

your screen should look like the following:

Capture1.JPG

now press ENTER

then execute

STO>'EQ'

and save the equation.

execute "solve equation" as in the previous post...

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation