Re: How do i turn on my HP Prime? (756 Views)
Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 1 of 12 (879 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do i turn on my HP Prime?

I'm new to HP calculators, i just got HP Prime. My question may seem silly, but how do i turn on my calculator? When i press on the "ON" button, i just see the "Choose Default Language" and "English" is highlighted but i can't move the highlight onto some other language. It seems that this direction pad is not working? I'm OK with "English" as defailt language, but how do i select it? Below the "Choose Default Language" i see five soft keys "Save", "Reset", "Sort", "Send" and "Start". If i press "Save" some new screen shows up with "Select New App Name" title and "Name" text box below it.

Is my calculator messed up, defective, or really HP have some weird definition of intuition that i do not understand since i'm new to HP calculators?

I own Casio fx-CG10 and TI-89 Titanium and i didn't need any introduction to get arround and be productive in the first 30 min.

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 2 of 12 (862 Views)

Re: How do i turn on my HP Prime?

Someone was playing with your unit before  you got it I think (somewhere from the end of the factory, to when you got it).

Press ON-APPS (the two keys together) to restart the calculator. It will reboot, and hp logo will show, and a circle graph. You might be back in the language selection screen, but it should work properly now.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 3 of 12 (856 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I do not know, but i got the calculator sealed from BestBuy. The battery was completely dead too.

I did the ON-APPS and it doesn't restart. How long do i need to hold them? I guess i was holding them for one minute maybe but nothing happened ...

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 4 of 12 (851 Views)

Stick a paperclip in the little hole in the back. The "ON-APPS" thing only works if the unit is on.

It is possible that the battery drained way low and that somehow caused a problem. Is there power in the battery now?

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Frequent Advisor
Maké
Message 5 of 12 (847 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, kabel:

1) It is convenient, to fully charge, the battery.
2) To turn run, press simultaneously the keys ON and Apps and the loose immediately.
3) You must see...

Run.JPG
Note: Miguel Angel Caporalini was, my previous ID, but this, was banned, by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 6 of 12 (844 Views)

Thanks again ... The unit is on when i do this ON-APPS ... It doesn't work ...

I've managed to get by this "Choose Default Language" by pressing the reset button on the back of it. Now i can browse the calculator and use it.

This ON-APPS still doesn't work, maybe desabled in the firmware i have? I do not know how to check the firmware yet ...

/Browses the manual

Frequent Advisor
Maké
Message 7 of 12 (837 Views)

Hi!, kabel:

For identify your Firmware, you must ...

1) Press ? Help key.

2) Touch in Tree

3) Go to About HP Prime

4) Touch this and you can see, in Windows, the Software version and others data.

5) The ultimate Firmware is ... 2013 11 25 (5447) - CAS version 1.1.0-27

6) If you didn't this Firmware, you can update this, from ... http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 8 of 12 (830 Views)

It says:

Software Version 2013 8 13 (5106)

CAS Version 1.1.0

Native OS Version V0.025.5106

Seems old firmware. The link you have provided is a HP genuine firmware? I apologize, i do not recognize the page and i thought the updates will be provided by HP on their own support portal?

Completely new to HP ...

Just have looked here at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&document=&lc=en&product=5367461 but i do not see any downloads besides the user manual and quick start guide. It seems like HP doesn't have any firmware updates so far!?

Frequent Advisor
Maké
Message 9 of 12 (812 Views)

Hi!, kabel:

Is the original, but you can, too download, from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 10 of 12 (806 Views)

Well, thank you again.

I've searched the manual on "software update" and i didn't find anything. It seems that the manual doesn't talk about software update.

I did download the HP Connectivity Tool from the ftp site and it did update the calculator. It seems to be running just fine now.

Just hope that the battery is not damaged (and can hold the charge) because it was complitely empty when i tried to turn on the calculator for the first time.

Occasional Advisor
kabel
Message 11 of 12 (789 Views)

It seems like the ON-APPS combination doesn't work any longer. What works is ON + Symb to restart the calculator.

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 12 of 12 (756 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oooooops. That was totally my fault. I completely miswrote that. You are correct - ON-SYMB was the keycombo I meant to give you. Sorry about that.

Yes, there are firmware updates. Please install the connectivity kit and it will automatically find them and keep you up to date as they come out. That page linked to is a non-standard method and tool that I would highly recommend you not use.

I am quite sure your battery isn't damamged. Rather, it was just sitting in the box for a long time from the factory and so it had run down.

--

TW

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.