Re: HP50g? (672 Views)
Occasional Advisor
dougjgray
Message 1 of 12 (735 Views)

HP50g?

[ Edited ]

When I turn on my new hp50g after it has been off for a while,  I will see a dark box fill the screen momentarily before the stack shows up,  is that normal? 

I made this video:

it only comes up after the calculator has been off for 30 seconds or longer.

is it a spalsh screen

Trusted Contributor
cyrille
Message 2 of 12 (672 Views)

Re: HP50g?

hello,

It is not a splash screen... Sorry, but I have no clue what it might be...

Do you have an OFF override program in your calculator that might be displaying it?

Cyrille

Frequent Advisor
andy11
Message 3 of 12 (665 Views)

try restore factory settings

Frequent Advisor
Maké
Message 4 of 12 (638 Views)

Hi!, dougjgray:

Welcome, to Forum!.

Have you any SD inserted into your HP50G, with many data ?. If yes, this is, your problem. The delay, is correct.

If not, try with ON+F1+F6 or put clip point int RESET orifice.

Note: Miguel Angel Caporalini was, my previous ID, but this, was banned, by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Advisor
dougjgray
Message 5 of 12 (630 Views)

Hi

I do have a card inserted with a alot of stuff,  the card came from my old 49g+,  but the box comes up even when the card is not installed.

I did the On-F1-F6 reset and still there.

until I did the reset there was a warning (Bad Card Data) when I did On-F3 now its gone so the reset fixed that

I also re-installed the firmware 2.15, so it must be a hardware thing,  

kinda strange but it doesnt seem to affect anything else on the calculator it functions ok so far.

Esteemed Contributor
Bart dB
Message 6 of 12 (609 Views)

Hi,

You can try creating a "clean" HP-50g.

Backup all data.

First go to the Filer, go to 2:FLASH and delete (purge) ALL items.

(Note, none of the resets delete flash and re-installing the firmware is not guaranteed to delete flash).

Then do an ON+F1+F6 reset, answering NO to "recover data?".

If the problem persists it could be a bootloader or hardware problem.

Regards.

Esteemed Contributor
Bart dB
Message 7 of 12 (582 Views)

Hi,

Purging all files in flash will also remove the Equation Library and Periodic table.

These can be put back manually. You should find the necessary files with the OS 2.15 zip file:

EqnData.lib

EqnLib.lib

prtbl.lib

If you need these libs or further help putting them back on the 50g, feel free to PM me.

Occasional Advisor
dougjgray
Message 8 of 12 (564 Views)

I tried all the options to get it back to factory state,   and deleted the flash mem and the mem and flash Are completely empty,  so it must be a hardware issue,   I wonder if it means the calc will fail,  I can live with the square.  I got it on Amazon for $73 maybe thats why it was cheep maybe there was a bad batch. 

Frequent Advisor
andy11
Message 9 of 12 (547 Views)

If it fails you could, in the last resort, disassemble the unit, clean all the internal connectors (to the keyboard, lcd etc) with isopropyl alcohol, and put it together. I saw on youtube how to disassemble 50g. 

Esteemed Contributor
Bart dB
Message 10 of 12 (539 Views)

Hi,

If you wish to go the route of opening the 50g (this may invalidate your warranty!!!), here's how:

Remove main and backup batteries.

Remove the screen cover using a suction cup:

http://hhuc.us/2006/dust/

Take out the two screws at the top of the screen.

Carefully pry open the 50g around the edges, I use the following tool:

repair-tool.JPG

(can be purchased as "mobile phone repair tool")

Once open, take care with the battery and speaker wires.

NOTES:

The screen is connected with a heatseal connector and not user serviceable. Any damage to the strip or connections will likely render it irreparable and unusable.

I think it is unlikely that the disassembly will correct the fault.

NOTE: DISASSEMBLY CAN INVALIDATE THE WARRANTY.

IF IT IS IN WARRANTY THE FIRST AND FOREMOST OPTION IS TO SEEK A REPLACEMENT.

Frequent Advisor
andy11
Message 11 of 12 (524 Views)

I agree with Bart that successful reapair at home is very unlikly.

Anyway such symptoms can indicate possible problems in future, so I would check if the seller at Amazon would take it back. Repair in service without warranty can be expensive.

If you'll go about disassembling I suggest you should examine with a magnifying glass all the soldering, check if there are no small metal splinters inside which could  be source of shortcircuit, and clean the inside with compressed air. Before removing the two screws (from Bart's message) check their heads  with magnifying glass if they have any traces of previous disassembly.

Occasional Advisor
dougjgray
Message 12 of 12 (497 Views)

I just bought it last week so I probably wont do a home repair.  I will keep an eye and decide if I should exhange it.  It could be a bad capacitor maybe, strange it only affects part of the screen.  if I turn it off and turn it immediatly back on the box doenst show up,  only if you let it sit off for over 20 seconds.  So if it hardware it would be hard to diagnose for certain,  under warrenty I will let HP figure it out

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.